Author Topic: Warren Buffett's wealth cut almost in half.  (Read 1155 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Warren Buffett's wealth cut almost in half.
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:08:24 AM »
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway was stripped of its 'AAA' credit rating by Fitch, barely hours after S&P cut General Electric's top-tier rating, as the global financial crisis pummels America's corporate titans.

The downgrade is another setback to Buffett, 78, coming a day after the billionaire lost his position as the world's richest man to Microsoft [MSFT  16.65    -0.36  (-2.12%)    ] founder Bill Gates, according to Forbes' annual list. Buffett's net worth plunged to $37 billion from $62 billion last year, the list said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29666975

Wow.  Not that I'm crying for him.   :lol:

Now that I've roped in some people that know more about finance than I do, why do people talk as if saving money is NOT stimulative?  So long as your money is in a bank or investment somewhere (not in a mattress) it's still stimulating the economy, correct? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Warren Buffett's wealth cut almost in half.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:54:06 AM »
So long as your money is in a bank or investment somewhere (not in a mattress) it's still stimulating the economy, correct?

Absolutely; investments stimulate growth and creation of wealth, while banked money is loaned as a form of investment.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
Absolutely; investments stimulate growth and creation of wealth, while banked money is loaned as a form of investment.

Shh. We aren't supposed to know that. Officially, only large scale government spending can save us. If we don't try to spend our way out of financial trouble as a nation, America will fall, the global economy will collapse, and we will see a new dark age, which will include all the worst parts from the Bible.
Hi.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »
This guy and his ilk pimped and push obama, serves him right.  :mad:
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »

Buffett's net worth plunged to $37 billion from $62 billion last year
Yeah, but he still doesn't have to count his change before he goes out for lunch.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »
I wonder why they never mention the probably multiple billions of dollars that folks like me pulled out of the market in the last year and deposited in CD's in banks and credit unions?  Maybe that's why all of the banks that stayed in banking and didn't turn into Fronkenshteen financial companies are quietly not saying anything about being in trouble.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife