Author Topic: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Amazon Ed.  (Read 2150 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Amazon Ed.
« on: September 16, 2023, 07:50:27 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

“Forget it, he’s rolling:” Twitter and Amazon reviewers mock a history book with a hilarious error
https://twitchy.com/aaronwalker/2023/09/15/no-it-was-not-over-when-the-germans-bombed-pearl-harbor-n2387318

"No way this can be real," I thought.

But then I looked it up on Amazon... https://t.co/8zXM2E9jcJ

It's real. All too real. https://t.co/g36lVJl0AJ
    — Stephen Green (@VodkaPundit) September 14, 2023

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Harbor-Date-Infamy-December/dp/B0CHG8SZSC/

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 08:18:36 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Amazon Ed.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 08:17:11 AM »
Jesus Christ....

I just can't.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 08:22:06 AM »
This is real cover art from a real book?

SOMEONE with an odd sense of humor has got to be deliberately punking their (potential) readers - nobody with the intellectual ability to tie their own shoes could accidentally make that kind of mistake.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 10:27:10 AM »
Just be glad they weren't jet fighters.

I'm not all that amazed.  It seems like illustrators and producers will pick out stock images and clips willy-nilly to dress up their productions. 

I've seen the same plane crash images and clips used for a number of individual unrelated reports.

Other things, too, like train-vehicle collisions.  Same one for different examples.

"We need an image of fighter planes over water for the cover," J.B. said.

"I'm on it J.B."  Types <planes over water> in an image search.  "Here ya go."

J.B. glances at image just as his phone is ringing, says, "I like that one."

Team effort.

Terry, 230RN

Image credit in Properties

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 10:43:59 AM »
Just be glad they weren't jet fighters.

The Germans had jets.

https://youtu.be/9A9TYoymCi0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 10:47:12 AM »
The Germans had jets.

https://youtu.be/9A9TYoymCi0

But the first flight of the Messerschmitt with a jet engine was in June of 1942, they did a flight with piston engines on the Messerschmitt in spring of 1941.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 10:50:51 AM »
Rumor has it that the Germans did indeed have Fw-190s at Pearl Harbor but they were all shot down by F-14 Tomcats and that this has been kept secret.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:17:42 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 11:09:36 AM »
Rumor has it that the Germans did indeed have Fw-190s at Pearl Harbor but they were all shot down by F-14s and that this has been kept secret.

Double secret probation for the Nazi fraternity.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023, 11:25:04 AM »
Rumor has it that the Germans did indeed have Fw-190s at Pearl Harbor but they were all shot down by F-14s and that this has been kept secret.

LOL

Their technological aggressiveness was, looking back, kind of scary.  It is said that except for blunders on Hitler's part, we'd all be speaking German today.  I have read that he wasn't delighted with atomic research and didn't push it because it was based on "Jewish science."  I mean, look at the V-2 rocket with a range of 200+/- miles.  Look at their rocket-powered fighters. Look at the ME-262 as an early operational jet fighter.  Look at the Heavy Gustav and other huge artillery, like the Paris Gun.

Schwerer Gustav
ME-262The Paris Gun

One book I read said the use of heavy water as a neutron slower-downer instead of the more effective graphite that we used was a result of a calculation error.  The use of graphite resulted in our successful nuclear efforts. (Although not WRT the European Theatre.)

Soooo close.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:48:23 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 11:43:59 AM »
LOL

Their technological aggressiveness is, looking back, kind of scary.  It is said that except for blunders on Hitler's part, we'd all be speaking German today.  I have read that he wasn't delighted with atomic research and didn't push it because it was based on "Jewish science."  I mean, look at the V-2 rocket with a range of 200+/- miles.  Look at their rocket-powered fighters. Look at the ME-262 as an early operational jet fighter.  Look at the Heavy Gustav and other huge artillery, like the Paris Gun.

Schwerer Gustav

One book I read said the use of heavy water as a neutron slower-downer instead of the more effective graphite that we used was a result of a calculation error.  We used graphite in our successful nuclear efforts.

Soooo close.

Their nuclear program was barking up the wrong tree.
The 262 while nice was far from ready (sorry Hitler had nothing to do with that) and was horribly unreliable and wouldn't have changed the war anyway. Did you know the Britain had the Meteor in combat and we had P-80s under going testing in Italy?
The Me-163 (rocket fighter) killed more of it's own pilots than anyone else.
V2 was a colossal waste of resources that Germany couldn't afford. More of an irritate than anything else to the allies.

If the war in Europe had gone into mid 45 Berlin would have had a package delivery from The Instant Sunrise Company

The only real way Germany could have won was by not starting the war in the first place. Okay, maybe stopped at France, maybe.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 11:53:18 AM »
Their nuclear program was barking up the wrong tree.
The 262 while nice was far from ready (sorry Hitler had nothing to do with that) and was horribly unreliable and wouldn't have changed the war anyway. Did you know the Britain had the Meteor in combat and we had P-80s under going testing in Italy?
The Me-163 (rocket fighter) killed more of it's own pilots than anyone else.
V2 was a colossal waste of resources that Germany couldn't afford. More of an irritate than anything else to the allies.

If the war in Europe had gone into mid 45 Berlin would have had a package delivery from The Instant Sunrise Company

The only real way Germany could have won was by not starting the war in the first place. Okay, maybe stopped at France, maybe.

"Their nuclear program was barking up the wrong tree. "

Yes.  As I said.

You're missing my point, which was how "scary" their technological achievements were.

I disagree with some of your post, notably the "operational" with respect to jet fighters.  And according to my recollection, the ME-262 was originally planned as a fighter, but Hitler mucked up the progress on it by demanding that it be used as both a fighter and bomber instead of leaving it as a fighter.  Part of his mucking up skills that I mentioned.

"The Me-163 (rocket fighter) killed more of its own pilots than anyone else.  V2 was a colossal waste of resources that Germany couldn't afford. More of an irritate than anything else to the allies."

Allegations as to perceived effectiveness.

Don't miss the point that they actually designed and built ME-263s and flew them in combat.  And don't miss the point that 2000 or so V-2s actually hit and caused destruction in London, despite any "waste of resources."  I was pointing out the scariness of these things regarding the technical and intellectual resources that Germany brought to bear.  That's what makes it "scary," in my words.  You're, as I said, missing that point.

I leave it at that.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 12:26:52 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 12:01:07 PM »
I disagree with some of that, notably the "operational" with respect to jet fighters.  And according to my recollection, the ME-262 was originally planned as a fighter, but Hitler mucked up the prograss on it by demanding that it be used as both a fighter and bomber.

I reckon that's a question of who read what printed books and what internet articles.

I leave it at that.

Blame it on Hitler is quite common excuse given. TIK calls it the playing the Madman Hitler card. The 262 couldn't have been put into service sooner, the engines weren't even ready and still weren't ready for prime time. If anything it got rushed.

There are other docs backing that up but here is a German aviation channel looking at that reading from actual German wartime docs, turning it into FB was decided even before Hitler got involved because they had to wait on the engines anyway and German needed FBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDYHd1PuR5U
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 12:15:43 PM »

V-2s actually hit and caused destruction in London

Meanwhile The Soviets were rolling in from the East and the Western Allies from the West and South with armies the Germans had no effective way of stopping.  These "Wonder" weapons were going to do just about zip about that, maybe add a month or two at best. 
Short of putting nukes on V-2s which was way way too small for the task anyway Germany was 99.9% going down one way or another post 42.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 12:25:39 PM »
But the first flight of the Messerschmitt with a jet engine was in June of 1942, they did a flight with piston engines on the Messerschmitt in spring of 1941.

I was referring to the SST and the Dornier Do31 VTOL jet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 12:58:26 PM »
WLJ:

You keep arguing whether their technological achievements were effective or not.

I keep saying, looking back, they were scary.

You win your artificial argument with me.  I give up.  They weren't scary at all.

:rofl:

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 01:05:01 PM »
WLJ:

You keep arguing whether their technological achievements were effective or not.

I keep saying, looking back, they were scary.

You win your artificial argument with me.  I give up.  They weren't scary at all.

:rofl:

Terry, 230RN

Sorry, still haven't forgiven them for bombing PH, Remember the Maine!  :P

Biden: I almost lost my Corvette at PH
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 01:11:34 PM »
LOL

<handshake>

Terry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 05:37:36 PM »
Back when I worked for Navy Federal Credit Union in the marketing department we were putting together something for active duty Navy.

I came up with the initial text, and the artist started fitting it into the mailer. He had some problems getting it to look good, but finally came up with something for the initial review.

We're sitting around the table -- me (writer), my boss, the artist, the art director, and the deputy marketing director.

We did the round robin... everyone liked the concept, was suggesting tweeks, etc. It finally came to me.

"I'm sorry, but we can't send this out. Our members will be screaming at us, if it even gets past upper management. The art is all wrong."

That REALLY set the art director off. I had a good relationship with the artist, but not the art director. She was a solid bitch of monumental proportions. God forbid you question anything art related.

She finally got done bitching at me, REALLY peeved.

I just looked at the my boss, then the deputy marketing director and said...

"NEVER in the history of the United States have we ever had an aircraft carrier with the island on the PORT side. NEVER. The image is flipped. We send that out and we're going to have the entire Navy raining *expletive deleted*it down on us."

The artist had flipped the image because it fit a lot better with the text and overall design. I understand why he did it, but it simply wouldn't work.

The art director looked like a fish out of water, just opening her mouth and closing it and trying to figure out what to say, but didn't have anything to come back with.

The deputy marketing director looked at me and said "You're sure?"

"Yep, 100%. Only Japan had carriers with islands on the port side, and it was NOT a successful experiment."

The DMD just said "Let's try something else" and the meeting broke up.

The art director continued to look like fish out of water. :rofl:

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »

"Yep, 100%. Only Japan had carriers with islands on the port side, and it was NOT a successful experiment."

Akagi & Hiryu. The Shōkakus were originally designed to have port islands but this was changed during construction.

If you ready wanted to blow their minds
HMS Furious as in her 2nd conversion.. 1st only had the forward deck. Afterwards they did it right.

HMS Eagle early designs had two islands, port and starboard, connected by bracing. Thankfully someone realized it was daft idea before building.

- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2023, 07:32:00 PM »
I'm impressed. The book was [independently] published on August 31, 2023, and it's already out of print. Must have been a VERY short print run ...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 07:54:25 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2023, 09:55:43 PM »
If the cover art wasn't a joke, I assume it was AI art someone slapped together for the cover and didn't pay close attention.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2023, 08:47:02 AM »
. . . Did you know the Britain had the Meteor in combat and we had P-80s under going testing in Italy? . . .
The USAAF was looking at jets pretty early.

My Dad was on a troop train somewhere out west (probably sometime in 1943) and the train was buzzed by something extraordinary - it was faster than the fighters the group's pilots had trained on. It circled around and then climbed quicker than anything they'd seen.

They were later by told by some senior officer in no uncertain terms that none of them saw anything and couldn't talk about what they hadn't seen. It was certainly a prototype jet; I've no idea if it was a Meteor, P-80, or something else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2023, 08:58:10 AM »
The USAAF was looking at jets pretty early.

My Dad was on a troop train somewhere out west (probably sometime in 1943) and the train was buzzed by something extraordinary - it was faster than the fighters the group's pilots had trained on. It circled around and then climbed quicker than anything they'd seen.

They were later by told by some senior officer in no uncertain terms that none of them saw anything and couldn't talk about what they hadn't seen. It was certainly a prototype jet; I've no idea if it was a Meteor, P-80, or something else.

In 43 that could have been a P-59 which first flew in 42. Bit of of dog though. P-80 first flew in Jan 44
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:20:33 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2023, 10:28:20 AM »
Did any of these ever fire a shot en guerre during WWII?

At one point while all this experimenting was going on, they would attach fake propellers to the jets' noses as they moved them around the airfield to avoid questions about planes with no propellers,

Richard Bong, leading Ace in the Pacific, died while acceptance testing a jet where the engine died at takeoff.  He ejected, but too close to the ground, and was killed --August 6, 1945.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 10:43:00 AM by 230RN »