Author Topic: Overrun by Deer  (Read 7797 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Overrun by Deer
« on: July 07, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
in Suburbia here in NoVA. Lots of woods and Quantico training areas surround us, and the damnable deer are brazenly strutting around yards in the daylight. The presence of three dogs seems not to deter them a bit. Solutions?

1. BB gun for Leatherness to harass them away during the day.
2. Get permits and shoot the bastidges this fall. Give meat to hunters' charity. Or you guys if you want.
3. Get a "destroy the pests" permit now?

Other ideas?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Overrun by Deer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
in Suburbia here in NoVA. Lots of woods and Quantico training areas surround us, and the damnable deer are brazenly strutting around yards in the daylight. The presence of three dogs seems not to deter them a bit. Solutions?

1. BB gun for Leatherness to harass them away during the day.
2. Get permits and shoot the bastidges this fall. Give meat to hunters' charity. Or you guys if you want.
3. Get a "destroy the pests" permit now?

Other ideas?

TC

I'd do the permit nao and keep/distribute the meat.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
I don't know how acceptable venison from a summer harvest would be. I'm thinking parasites here...

The backhoe might be a better method of disposal.

My big problem is the old lab Gunner and the new lab Liberty go all ecstatic and run to follow the spoor. Plus the vegetative destruction of course. And the attitude.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
When you get your nuisance termination permit, have Leatherness video you stalking the deer with your firearm of choice . . . while wearing a Planet of the Apes costume or giant bunny suit.  Even better, tackle one while wearing the bunny suit.  Submit to AFV.  Send half your winnings to me.   =D

For entertainment purposes only.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
Sounds like a job for a suppressed weapon.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
suppressed would be good, but I don't have one. Oversight on my part.

I'm wondering whether .30 carbine or 30-06 is better for a neighborhood environment.

TC

'Course, there is that model 94 clone from China in 1969 for $75 that fires Win .32 special.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
.22 lr + spotlight.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »
The backhoe might be a better method of disposal.
I just got a giggle out of that as I imagined you chasing them down in a front end loader.  =D

Heck, if the deer are as bold as you say, why limit yourself to firearms?  Why not a halberd?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
You could have the APS mod who happens to live in the same county as you aid you in harvesting the critters. :D

I'd go with a 44mag because shooting deer at distances less than 100yds with a rifle has gotten boring.

Chris

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »

:laugh:

Around these parts, all ya need is a handful of nuisance tags, A combine, and a Garand.  Deer aren't a'feered of farm equipment, and 20' up in there air gives you an excellent vantage point...

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
i swear i saw a deer with a very young fawn today  do they have a late rut?  could this deer be as young as it looked? still spotted and tiny
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
i swear i saw a deer with a very young fawn today  do they have a late rut?  could this deer be as young as it looked? still spotted and tiny

I saw one Sunday on the way back from Richmond.

Chris

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:59 AM »
If noise is the issue, why not a bow or crossbow?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »

Yes. It's that time of year. Roughly from mid June through late July around here (east Texas).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »
When you get your nuisance termination permit, have Leatherness video you stalking the deer with your firearm of choice . . . while wearing a Planet of the Apes costume or giant bunny suit.  Even better, tackle one while wearing the bunny suit.  Submit to AFV.  Send half your winnings to me.   =D

I am perfectly willing to give that one a whirl.  It will only take a few beers.  And I have a K-bar.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »

I have read that if a female doesn't get pregnant during the rut that they will go back into heat 30 or so days later. I have seen spotted fawns as late as December in Iowa, I almost shot one a couple years ago but I gave it a pass. Kind of regret it because I bet it would have been good eating and be cool to have a spotted hide on the wall in the man cave.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »
If noise is the issue, why not a bow or crossbow?
That is a pretty good idea in a neighborhood.  Most people won't even realize you did anything and it won't be going through walls.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »
A pile of bait corn soaked in salty water. A couple grids of chicken wire. A long run of "suicide cord" hooked up to your 220V service with a knife switch, and a chunk of copper in the service panel where the 220 breakers used to be.  =D
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »

This was late last July. They were coming up to eat the apples that were dropping from my trees

Momma wasn't far away

(Note: the "twins" are across the fence on my neighbors property)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:37 AM »
Does momma have a scar on her side or is that an artifact in the picture?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »
I think you need to upgrade to a dog like this.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
I think you need to upgrade to a dog like this.

At least until the deer got smart you wouldn't have to feed it either!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »
looks like a scar to me.
I have read that if a female doesn't get pregnant during the rut that they will go back into heat 30 or so days later.

it's definitely true; when I used to bowhunt you could count on a second (or maybe third) mini-rut sometime in january. I might have missed the second one from muzzleloader hunting.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
I have read that if a female doesn't get pregnant during the rut that they will go back into heat 30 or so days later. I have seen spotted fawns as late as December in Iowa, I almost shot one a couple years ago but I gave it a pass. Kind of regret it because I bet it would have been good eating and be cool to have a spotted hide on the wall in the man cave.

VEALISON !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »
I used to work with a guy that claimed they were best-tasting before they got too big to pick up with one hand like a rabbit.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine