Author Topic: I need a good hat.  (Read 7757 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: I need a good hat.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
  There are places, and I think the OP's anticipated AO counts, where you don't want to look like you're in the military.  If someone can afford a safari, they can afford a Tilley.

Indeed.  In fact some of my expenses has been a new 3 day pack. (Mine is ACUPAT and has "Hill" and "US Army" name tapes), a new hat (this thread), a "Safari Jacket" (My field jacket is perfect but see the nametape issue), and rain gear (ACUPAT or Woodland Gore-tex again with nametapes).  There's only so much I can do against a trained observer, but I'm really trying to limit how much my gear screams "US Military" at a casual glance.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
Pith Helmet  ???

=D
Only if he wears a monocle as well. And grows a nice walrus mustache.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »

*ahem*  My first Firefly reference.   =D

DD

And a rather cunning reference it is.

Tilley has a good return policy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »
I'm thinking about going with an oilskin Aussie hat with chinstrap ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »
I bought my aussie snap brim in Sydney before my expedition thru Kakadu

I also have this beauty:
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/clothing/accessories/hats/african-suede-mesh-hat

and I covet one of these for twinkie huntin:
http://realdealbrazil.com/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »
Cobb Hat

*ahem*  My first Firefly reference.   =D
DD

My own, courtesy of Ma Cobb's Hat Shoppe of Canada.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »
I have a Columbia Bora Bora Boonie had that I've had since 2000. Been on lots of trips all over the US. Its faded but still holds up, when it gives up up the ghost I'll probably move up to a Tilley.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
I'm thinking about going with an oilskin Aussie hat with chinstrap ...  =|
With corks hanging around it? :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I have 2 tilleys. One I keep nice for casual wear and the other is my farming/gardening/lawnmowing/fishing/dovehunting/etc hat beat to hell and frayed but comfortable and functional. The Tilley guarentee says if you can wear it out they will replace it free but I like it too much until there isn't enough left to park it on my sorry head.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
Go with the Tilley.  I'd get one with a wide brim.  Advice to wash it new is sound.  Over do it with the Scotchguard. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
With corks hanging around it? :laugh:

It's raining corks  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
oh, and if you see sweat on a tilley. WASH IT NOW!!!!! if you let them set, the stains won't come out, not that anyone seems to notice them. ???

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

My own, courtesy of Ma Cobb's Hat Shoppe of Canada.  =D

Very nice.  'cept you're lacking the jaunty angle...

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:20 PM »
oh, and if you see sweat on a tilley. WASH IT NOW!!!!! if you let them set, the stains won't come out, not that anyone seems to notice them. ???

And if you see sweat soaking through a Henschel leather fedora...well, it's gaining character. 

MondoFranken

• It's your life to screw up any way you want it.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Try the RDB. It's tough as can be, made out of old truck tarps. Smells a little funny (like old truck tarps!) when you get it, but the odor's gone quick, especially after you get caught in the rain in it. Had mine in the ocean, ripped at by my dog and run over by my wife's car. The thing gets better the more beat up it gets.

I've had mine for about a year. Had a Tilley from years ago, but have to admit, it made me feel like an older dude at Disney, and I'm not ready for that, yet! With the Real Deal hat, I sometimes I think I may not actually be cool enough to wear it. Their site's kind of fun, realdealbrazil.com.
Smarter than the average dumb bear.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »
Had a Tilley from years ago, but have to admit, it made me feel like an older dude at Disney, and I'm not ready for that, yet! With the Real Deal hat, I sometimes I think I may not actually be cool enough to wear it. Their site's kind of fun, realdealbrazil.com.

Nah, you're just feeling Canadian.

I think I'd like to try one of those RDB hats.  It looks like s**t to begin with, so its not either I or my kids can mess it up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »
swagman hat FTW
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
Does that keep the flies away  ???   ;/

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »
yip! it keeps the mossies at bay

It also aids in keeping attractive women at bay