Author Topic: Go Chile!  (Read 7791 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Go Chile!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
being half a mile under ground, the earthquake will have half a mile less leverage. at least that's what i would be telling my self while it was happening. [tinfoil]

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »
On my ID lanyard at work, I have a whistle, a pen and a small flashlight attached. I have been asked why I have all this on the lanyard.  I tell them that in the event of an earthquake, if I am under the rubble, I can blow the whistle so I can be found.  If not, I can use the flashlight and the pen to write a final love note to my wife.

Invariably, the women all go 'Awww' when I tell this story.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
I wonder what happened to that trapped miner who's wife showed up on the site with a photo of her husband, only to find another woman there with a photo of her husband.  Turned out she was her husband's "girlfriend."  :facepalm:  That had to be an awkward moment ....  [tinfoil]

Any news?

I don't know which one that is, or if he's up yet. He'd better hope they keep that bore hole open -- he may want to dive back in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
I heard somewhere he was named "Yanni."   Not sure of the spelling.
His wife reportedly refuses to attend the reunion ceremony where they're pulling up the miners.  Can't say I blame her. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
30 miners up as of this evening, far faster than anticipated. All of them are expected out within a few hours. The Chileans are making this look easy.  I watched a video clip from a camera at the top of the capsule, showing the ascent. The shaft walls are so smooth they almost look polished. How interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
They're all out
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
!!! YIPPEE !!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
That was fast.  :O
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »
Politicians are the same the world over.

El Presidente of Chile stayed right by the bore hole until the last miner was out, and he used his greeting of the last miner as an opportunity to make an impromptu speech. Alright, I can see that -- sort of.

But ... there was still a crew of rescue workers down in that hole after the last miner came up, and El Presidente walked off to a podium at some distance from the hole and was making a more serious (and less impromptu) speech while the rescuers were being hauled up. The least he could have done IMHO was stay there and thank THOSE guys for being willing to go down there. I give a tremendous amount of credit to the miners for hanging in there for 17 days before anyone even knew they were alive, and for another couple of months while the rescue hole was bored. But, it ain't like they had a lot of options. They couldn't exactly pick up and head for home.

Whereas those rescue guys topside who volunteered to go down a half mile in a capsule barely big enough to squeeze into -- THAT took cajones, and I think it was shameful of Presidente Pinera not to be waiting to shake the hand of each one of those brave men.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:06 PM »
Agreed.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »
There were still 5 or 6 guys down there after the last miner came up . . . THOSE guys fit the classical definition of "HERO" in that they voluntarily put themselves in harm's way on behalf of others.

El Presidente should have waited to greet them in person as each one came up the hole.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »
30 miners up as of this evening, far faster than anticipated. All of them are expected out within a few hours. The Chileans are making this look easy.  I watched a video clip from a camera at the top of the capsule, showing the ascent. The shaft walls are so smooth they almost look polished. How interesting.

Just so we can bask in reflected glory -- that hole was bored with a drill made in Pennsylvania, operated by an American driller flown over from Afghanistan -- where he had been drilling water wells for our forward operating bases.

Which causes me to wonder yet again (WARNING: THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS):

Remember the mad cow disease scare, and how the U.S. was able to trace 100 bovines from an infected farm/ranch in Canada right to their stalls in the U.S., but we can't find +/- 12 million illegal aliens? I see a little bit of this in operation here. The U.S. has a deep drill exploration and production industry. We have probably more than two guys who can drill holes in rock. So how is it that, out of all the guys in the industry, somebody decided that THIS guy (am I remembering the name Jeff Barnes correctly, or did I make that up) was THE guy to operate this rig, and that this was important enough to track him all the way to Afghanistan to fly him to Chile?

I'm not complaining. I'm intensely proud that the U.S. played an integral part in such an historic rescue and I think our driller and the company who made the drills are deserving of mucho credito. I'm just struck by the fact that, instead of all the probably unemployed deep rock drillers who were (and are) sitting around in the U.S,, they went looking for this one guy all the way to Afghanistan.

And he delivered -- in spades. Maybe he truly is the best and bringing him in was the only call to make. I dunno. That decision was way over my pay grade. But -- like those volunteer rescitates who went DOWN the hole to help the miners UP, I suspect if his name gets out Mr American Driller man will never have to pay for a drink in a Chilean mining town.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:35:55 PM by Hawkmoon »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
So how is it that, out of all the guys in the industry, somebody decided that THIS guy (am I remembering the name Jeff Barnes correctly, or did I make that up) was THE guy to operate this rig, and that this was important enough to track him all the way to Afghanistan to fly him to Chile?

I can think of 33 guys who are pretty glad that we flew that guy in....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 04:37:36 AM »
I can think of 33 guys who are pretty glad that we flew that guy in....

No argument on that point from me. And maybe he really is so much better than anyone else that he was the odds-on choice as the "go to guy" for a tricky bore like this (it wasn't just a straight shot). I just found it surprising.

But ... there's nothing like success. When the chips were down, he came through. There were three holes being bored at the same time. The other two missed.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »
industry. We have probably more than two guys who can drill holes in rock. So how is it that, out of all the guys in the industry, somebody decided that THIS guy (am I remembering the name Jeff Barnes correctly, or did I make that up) was THE guy to operate this rig, and that this was important enough to track him all the way to Afghanistan to fly him to Chile?

I'm not complaining. I'm intensely proud that the U.S. played an integral part in such an historic rescue and I think our driller and the company who made the drills are deserving of mucho credito. I'm just struck by the fact that, instead of all the probably unemployed deep rock drillers who were (and are) sitting around in the U.S,, they went looking for this one guy all the way to Afghanistan.

And he delivered -- in spades. Maybe he truly is the best and bringing him in was the only call to make. I dunno. That decision was way over my pay grade. But -- like those volunteer rescitates who went DOWN the hole to help the miners UP, I suspect if his name gets out Mr American Driller man will never have to pay for a drink in a Chilean mining town.

Specialized industries like this deep drilling are often kind of small communities. You won't find much on these people with a google search, but people in the industry will tell you "Well, I'm pretty good at this, but for this kind of critical work, you really want so and so, he's the best" That guy might be doing what seems to be a boring, menial common job, but he has the skills and experience to handle the critical stuff.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »
No argument on that point from me. And maybe he really is so much better than anyone else that he was the odds-on choice as the "go to guy" for a tricky bore like this (it wasn't just a straight shot). I just found it surprising.

But ... there's nothing like success. When the chips were down, he came through. There were three holes being bored at the same time. The other two missed.

Did they? Or were they just slower?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
Did they? Or were they just slower?

My wife is in Chile. I was told the other two holes both missed. Reading the article, it sounds like it was one of the smaller, exploratory holes that missed,, and the other two "big bores" just didn't get there yet.

What do I know? I'm not a mining engineer.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:18:25 AM by Hawkmoon »