Author Topic: Last minute laptop?  (Read 7785 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Last minute laptop?
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »
Finally decided I should surprise the mrs with a new laptop. What should I steer towards? or, more importantly, what should I steer away from? Do they come wireless capable?

she don't need much, just emails and facebook stuff. She's just tired of sharing with the daughter who is good for about a million new viruses a week.  ;/

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Last minute laptop?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
I think they're all set up for WiFi these days ... even the little Acer Aspire One netbook. Of course, that's useful only if you have a wireless router or DSL modem installed in your home.

I'm partial to Toshiba (as are several of my more computer-literate friends), and for what your wife's needs are a Toshiba Satellite would be more than adequate. I have one, my wife has one, and it turns out our granddaughter whom we are adopting also has one. Which is good for me because it simplifies troubleshooting. (Granddaughter is like your young family member -- I checked the kid's computer a couple of weeks ago when she complained about how slow it was. Avast! found 83 infections, and after that was cleaned up Malwarebytes found 67 more.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
Finally decided I should surprise the mrs with a new laptop. What should I steer towards? or, more importantly, what should I steer away from? Do they come wireless capable?

Wireless is a given with a new laptop, has been for a while.

she don't need much, just emails and facebook stuff. She's just tired of sharing with the daughter who is good for about a million new viruses a week.  ;/

Netbook too small?  

I've got no real preferences in laptops.  $500 will buy you plenty, these days.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
This is something you should ask Jamis about...he knows all the best clubs and which ladies can.....

....oh, sorry.....you said laptop.....  :facepalm:

Wireless is a given with a new laptop, has been for a while.

I've got no real preferences in laptops.  $500 will buy you plenty, these days.

Same here....$400 can get you some pretty good ones too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
For the most part, general computing/Internet use, I'd just stick with any of the big name brands.

Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba, HP, Sony etc. If you've not bought a PC in over a year, any of them will likely seem amazing. Just go do a quick web-search to make sure there's no big tech blog, or computer magazine articles about the one you're looking at being a dog or lemon.

Get whatever has a good price and go from there. As stated, the middle of the road laptop is now around $400-500. A light basic use surfing/e-mail machine is still ungodly capable as a general use PC, and has every last accessory thrown in save the kitchen sink and is more around $300 on down.

One thing though, get a good wireless mouse to go with it. I prefer the 3500 series Microsoft Bluetrack ones. They use a blue LED for the light motion sensor. The shorter wavelength of blue light can detect smaller imperfections in the surface the mouse is on than red or IR can, and it tracks motion more accurately. It'll work on ANYTHING, save for a mirror. (and that mirror needs to be REALLY clean) So it'll track on a leg, a couch, a pillow, bed linens etc. And the USB receiver is a tiny stub so it won't bend, break, or catch on stuff when you carry the laptop around. Instead of the thumb-drive size receiver that's more common.

And I use mine every night and a AA battery lasts for months at a time.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=132
I promise not to duck.

go_bang

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:55 AM »
I would get something that ships with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and not 32-bit.  If you go with 64-bit Windows then also get 4GB of RAM if possible.  You need at least 2GB of RAM just for Windows 7 to run properly, and in the lower end laptops the video system steals memory from the system RAM (aka shared memory).   Even if you can't swing the 4GB now, get 64-bit Windows anyway so you can upgrade the memory later.  The 32-bit version caps you at a max of 3GB, but the limit for the 64-bit is something like 2TB I think.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
Hit Best Buy.  Some good deals on laptops.  The one by me had about 20 Dell units (can't recall which one) on a cart marked at around $400.  Almost picked up one for the Mrs., but she asked for a new bedroom TV (LG 22" LCD for $299).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
I'm quite happy with the Asus EeePC netbooks that the wife and I use.  They're the 10.5" kind with decent sized batteries on them.  They'll run for about 6 hours on a charge using wireless the whole time.  The display and keyboard are a bit lacking sometimes, though.

They run about $300.

Because I was so happy with them when it came time for my mom to get a new laptop I suggested the 12" Asus EeePC netbook.  The keyboard and display problems aren't there with the larger size, it's small, travels well, battery lasts a good time, and they're only $400.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
I did some looking for a co-worker last week.  I found a Dell laptop through their outlet store with an Intel quad processor, 3GB RAM, a 360GB hard drive, and Win 7 Home Premium (64-bit) for $489.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
I would get something that ships with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and not 32-bit.  If you go with 64-bit Windows then also get 4GB of RAM if possible.  You need at least 2GB of RAM just for Windows 7 to run properly, and in the lower end laptops the video system steals memory from the system RAM (aka shared memory).   Even if you can't swing the 4GB now, get 64-bit Windows anyway so you can upgrade the memory later.  The 32-bit version caps you at a max of 3GB, but the limit for the 64-bit is something like 2TB I think.

Higher.  AMD currently supports 48-bit memory addressing to 256 TB, but that architecture can be expanded to 52 bit at 4 Petabytes.  I don't know if Intel addresses memory similarly, or if they are a true 64 bit environment and allow for 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes...  16 Exabytes.

The most that MS officially supports at the desktop level is 192GB with Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
here is a toshiba dual core for under 400.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-C655D-S5084/15075118?povid=cat3951-env201969-module395054-rLink5

i think walmart (call first, it may have been target) had an in-store deal for a dual core 3gb 350gb for 375 this week.  but i don't remember the brand.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Thank ya'll! Once again the team comes through. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll go to wally world and bestbuy and see what things look like at both places.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
Two Toshiba Satellite lappies in the family have had LCD issues, turning them into "small form factor desktops," if you catch my meaning.  Supposedly kinda common with Toshis.

Dells used to be top notch, now no better than most.  HP have gotten better over time, but some of the higher-end business laptops have battery issues & their monster business laptops are buggy.

I'd suggest refurbed/outlet lappies from Dell, HP, Lenovo and I'd try for business-class.

Good luck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
My wife and I have Toshiba Dual Core laptops.  We love them, no problems with either.  They do everything including any games I want to play.

Im close to where you are, until Friday, if you want any other help on this.  PM me and I'll send you my number.

go_bang

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
Higher.  AMD currently supports 48-bit memory addressing to 256 TB, but that architecture can be expanded to 52 bit at 4 Petabytes.  I don't know if Intel addresses memory similarly, or if they are a true 64 bit environment and allow for 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes...  16 Exabytes.

The most that MS officially supports at the desktop level is 192GB with Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate.

Thanks.  I knew it was some big number but couldn't place it at the moment.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »
Two Toshiba Satellite lappies in the family have had LCD issues, turning them into "small form factor desktops," if you catch my meaning.  Supposedly kinda common with Toshis.

I've been using exclusively Toshibas (excluding an Acer netbook) for at least 15 years, and I have never heard anything about LCD "issues." Can't be all that common.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
My wife and I have Toshiba Dual Core laptops.  We love them, no problems with either.  They do everything including any games I want to play.

Im close to where you are, until Friday, if you want any other help on this.  PM me and I'll send you my number.
Thanks, I'm probably going to take care of this tomorrow during the day in my travels but I do appreciate the offer.  =D

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
Thanks, I'm probably going to take care of this tomorrow during the day in my travels but I do appreciate the offer.  =D

Okay, no worries...I'll be sitting around the house bored out of my mind.  Or wrapping gifts

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »
Want to go on a service call in New Britain? It features climbing up on a roof and everything. Almost as good as an E ticket ride but not quite. It never fails. No calls, quiet as a church, until I plan something and then kaboom, they start coming in.  And of course where is my absolute FARTHEST customer? New Britain.  ;/

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
yup. so I call the Lennox factory to get a blower motor for the furnace in new britain. The guys tells me it's christmas, the warehouse is closed, blah, blah blah. I can get it tuesday and that's paying $95 for next day air. So I says to the guy. "What do I tell my customer? Next time don't buy Lennox?"

He says, "Oh, no. Don't tell them that. Hold on." He comes back on a minute later and says there's a skeleton crew in Des Moines and they can get me one tomorrow.  :lol: ;)

Meanwhile, seeing how's that fiasco killed most of the day I'm now taking notes to go finally look for this thing.  :P

go_bang

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
No, thanks.  I gave up the field service gig 10+ years ago.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 09:05:55 PM »
Ok, tell me how bad I effed up...  =D

The Asus 4/500 gig I wanted was sold out so the next best deal I saw was a dell Inspiron M5030. 15.6", AMD Anthion dual core mobile processor p340, 3 GB ram / 320 GB HD with windows 7 x 64 bit. $430 at best buy. Walmart had nothing and what a friggin madhouse.  It was like all of gangland was there. :O

I went for none of the add on package deals.

Thumbs up or down?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
No, thanks.  I gave up the field service gig 10+ years ago.
What? You've been missing all the fun? That's too bad.  :'(

go_bang

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »
Sometime I miss it, but not too much.  Got a desk job now, but there is plenty of field work to do from time to time if I want it.

That laptop sounds decent enough.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
I told my customer, "I don't know what it is but every year I seem to find myself on a roof somewhere freezing my ass off while trying to decipher a Lennox wiring diagram so I can figure out what's wrong with the damn thing."  :lol:

I figure we'll let her try it and if she doesn't like it we'll see about the Asus. I was bummed they didn't have it. Only $50 more. I tried to get them to sell me the one on the shelf but they wouldn't go for it. Good reasoning though, what if it's effed up from people playing with it. makes sense.