Author Topic: BBC releases Clarkson  (Read 7760 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
BBC releases Clarkson
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2015/03/25/bbc-releases-statement-on-clarkson/

Perfectly understandable decision, honestly.

That said, shame there will be no more Top Gear.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: BBC releases Clarkson
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2015/03/25/bbc-releases-statement-on-clarkson/

Perfectly understandable decision, honestly.

That said, shame there will be no more Top Gear.

I have a feeling he will land on his feet.

And that BBC is going to lose a ton of money.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:59:42 AM »
All he needs to do is cut a deal with Discovery Channel for a show called "Most Excellent Stuff" and he's good to go.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
I have a feeling he will land on his feet.

And that BBC is going to lose a ton of money.

This. I can watch supercar reviews on youtube. I watch TG because it's so darned fun, and it's so darned fun because of the interplay between the three hosts. Watch an episode of Series 1 with Jason Dawe, James May's predecessor, and you see the difference one presenter makes. Same set, same kind of cars, but the dynamic was just wasn't there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........

OK, perfectly understandable.

There was some speculation in the British press that Chris Evans was going to take over. He came out with a statement saying nope, not going to happen.

I'm 50/50 on whether Hammond & May will continue on with Top Gear, but I suspect that, with their contracts up, they're going to walk with Clarkson over to Sky or one of the other networks and receive truckloads of money.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
I'm 50/50 on whether Hammond & May will continue on with Top Gear, but I suspect that, with their contracts up, they're going to walk with Clarkson over to Sky or one of the other networks and receive truckloads of money.

If you'll note, they are not renewing his contract. From earlier reports, all their contracts come up this year.

Makes it really easy for them to move on, together.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »
If you'll note, they are not renewing his contract. From earlier reports, all their contracts come up this year.

Makes it really easy for them to move on, together.

Uhm... yeah, I know that, that's why I mentioned Hammond and May and their contracts being up, as well.

The big question is, though, do they want to try to stay with an established show, or do they want to try to kick off a new one?

We'll know shortly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
The big question is, though, do they want to try to stay with an established show, or do they want to try to kick off a new one?

It appears that the BBC owns the name "Top Gear," so if Clarkson & Co. jump to another network (or go independent), they'll need a new name. If the BBC owns the name, then one has to wonder how much they also "own" the format. Can Clarkson & Co. produce the same show under a different name, or will they need both a new name and a new format?

And ... who owns the Stig?

Quote from: BBC
The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series.

The article mentions that the report was released, but provides no link. I finally found it (but only the executive summary):

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/investigation-summary.pdf

If anyone has a link to the full report, please post it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:56:19 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
In the reporting, I keep reading "a sustained physical attack" and "through no fault of his own".

So, did he strike the producer? Push him? Stand extra close to him? Bump him with his chest? Put him in a figure four until he cried for mercy? What happened? Clearly he was yelling at him. They can at least say that without being mealy-mouthed.

And "no fault of his own". So Clarkson just decided today was the day to attack this random guy. It wasn't because the producer screwed up and Clarkson was angry about it and let him know.

If you screw up, you deserve to get yelled at and think that you lost your job. If an actual assault took place, then arrest Mr. Clarkson and fire him. Not fail to renew his contract. That makes it sound like it wasn't a big deal but you don't like meanies.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
12k+ comments. "BBC, you suck!" is leading by about 50:1.

https://m.facebook.com/topgear/posts/10155398095470571

I honestly don't see this lasting much beyond the first few episodes of the next series, if that long. You don't kill the dynamic of what is arguably the world's #1 television show, and definitely the BBC's top show, without a few folks in higher positions than youself giving you the major stinkeye.

Aside from loss of domestic license fees and falling international viewership there's also the socio-political element. A fair number of Brits view TG as their unofficial ambassador to the world, and for good reason given it's worldwide popularity and dedication to All Things British. I could easily see political pressure on BBC to, um, "rethink" their decision.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
Does BBC own the American Top Gear? =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:29:54 PM »
"It appears that the BBC owns the name "Top Gear," so if Clarkson & Co. jump to another network (or go independent), they'll need a new name. If the BBC owns the name, then one has to wonder how much they also "own" the format. Can Clarkson & Co. produce the same show under a different name, or will they need both a new name and a new format?"

Of course BBC owns the name. You don't run a show that successful and not own the name. That would destroy your ability to monetize it. Top Gear America, Top Gear German, Top Gear Australia, etc., all pay substantial fees to the BBC (or, more realistically, the networks that host those shows in their respective countries).

BBC likely also owns the representation of the mystery racing driver, so that would be dicy if they could do something like that. They could also claim ownership (at least of the names) over Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, the Cool Wall, and a few other things that originated on Top Gear.

As for the format, that's a lot dicier to try to claim ownership over. It's a car show, and there have been LOTS of car shows over the years, even before BBC came along with theirs. Could BBC try to claim the "testing the cars on a closed circuit"? They could, but it would be a big fat fail. Track tests have been a common element.

The biggest concern would be if their contracts had "no compete for X years" clauses. That could prove to be a significant issue.

The last 3 programs in the current series could be intersting. After Clarkson was suspended, BBC went to Hammond and May and asked them to continue with filming the finishing touches, which normally involved all three of them. Both of them refused to do so until the issue with Clarkson was resolved. If they continue to do so, it could constitute breach of contract, which could lead to litigation.

As for the physical attack, an article on BBC News says that Clarkson apparently popped the guy in the mouth hard enough that he felt it necessary to visit an emergency room.

There was also mention of protracted, extreme verbal abuse towards the producer at the same time.

Given earlier reports, it's likely that Clarkson was drunk and was acting out. I've seen other mentions over the years that he gets... boisterous, and not always in a good way... when he's been drinking.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
Does BBC own the American Top Gear? =D

Yep. Top Gear America is a product of BBC Worldwide, Ltd.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:33:48 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »
"If an actual assault took place, then arrest Mr. Clarkson..."

Apparently the police are requesting copies of the BBC's internal investigations.

It could result in legal issues for Clarkson.

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
I nominate the name "WFO" for the new show.  I'll watch it if it has those three guys on it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »
Seen TG a few times.  Really neat show, but I have had no reliable means to watch it.

I bet Clarkson and his sidekicks will be able to do much better somewhere other than BBC.  Might not have the viewership numbers, but I bet they, individually, make lots more money.

As for Clarkson being a belligerent drunk, perhaps a clause and policy stating that any physical abuse can and will be met with equal physical abuse and there will be no allowances made in filming to accommodate injuries obtained while being an ass. 

Then hire some real meaty guys for lots of positions, either tee-vee worker or just hired muscle.  Women get issued pepper spray.  I would enjoy seeing Clarkson with a black eye or bloodied face and some busted ribs reviewing a Toyota Prius.  "This car drives as awful as I feel.  Toyota has managed to produce the automotive equivalent of hangover and a beatdown with four doors."  Or a new high-end sportscar.  "Normally I would be in the driver's seat going through the paces in a new Aston Martin.  Sadly, my eyes have not recovered enough from the oleoresin capsicum spray that Melissa, the current driver and usually the Key Grip, sprayed in my face after I made an untoward advance..." 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
BBC bought the rights to the Top Gear name from Clarkson last year; but he may still own the international rights. I'm not sure. Even with a name change, he won't be off the air for long. Its literally the biggest TV show on earth, people have likely been calling since two minutes after the announcement went out. There's speculation that Netflix might scoop them up, as well as several British networks. Hopefully its someone with a big enough budget to do the show properly. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »

Gods, would I wouldn't give for the combination of Calumus and Rooster's ideas. Netflix snaps up the trio, and essentially all staff have to sign Clarkson waivers but given free reign to punch back. I don't care that I have Netflix already, I'd still buy it on BluRay.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »
In the reporting, I keep reading "a sustained physical attack" and "through no fault of his own".

So, did he strike the producer? Push him? Stand extra close to him? Bump him with his chest? Put him in a figure four until he cried for mercy? What happened? Clearly he was yelling at him. They can at least say that without being mealy-mouthed.

And "no fault of his own". So Clarkson just decided today was the day to attack this random guy. It wasn't because the producer screwed up and Clarkson was angry about it and let him know.

It doesn't sound like the producer screwed up, it sounds like either the hotel screwed up, or Clarkson was just having a bad day.

The "no fault of his own" refers to the producer, not Clarkson.

It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who [Oisin Tymon] is well-valued and respected. He [Oisin Tymon] has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his [Oisin Tymon] own.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
Gods, would I wouldn't give for the combination of Calumus and Rooster's ideas.

Throw in a Clarkson vs. Piers Morgan cage match and I'll buy it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
BBC bought the rights to the Top Gear name from Clarkson last year; but he may still own the international rights. I'm not sure. Even with a name change, he won't be off the air for long. Its literally the biggest TV show on earth, people have likely been calling since two minutes after the announcement went out. There's speculation that Netflix might scoop them up, as well as several British networks. Hopefully its someone with a big enough budget to do the show properly. 

Clarkson and producer Anthony Wilman owned 50% of the rights to the Top Gear brand. BBC was, I believe, was the other majority owner at that time. (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-clarkson-sells-top-gear-1347649)

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »
I would resuscribe to Netflix for a new show with those hosts.

If he actually punched him unprovoked then he should probably pay fines, etc. I'm not convinced the guy really needed to go to the ER from what I've read. Getting yelled at is not pleasant, but I've had bosses that had that management style and others that don't. I had one that was a 1 hour screaming meeting once a week on a teleconference.

It appears to me this was really the result of his final of "many" offenses, most of which would not have been so controversial outside the UK.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

It appears to me this was really the result of his final of "many" offenses, most of which would not have been so controversial outside the UK.

This. It's also interesting his sacking over a relatively minor infraction (as compared to some of his other internationally-significant "incidents") comes less than a year after selling the BBC his half-interest in the show. Considering his past head-butting with BBC top brass it makes you wonder if they weren't looking for an excuse to ditch him. Maybe they figured they could get a two-fer, eliminating a headache and bringing in less expensive talent. If that's the case they may have just laid a massive stinker. Wouldn't be the first time a company has cooked their Golden Goose for its own celebration dinner

Brad
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:24:17 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
I've never heard of Clarkson being accused of anything inappropriate with a woman/women...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
This. It's also interesting his sacking over a relatively minor infraction (as compared to some of his other internationally-significant "incidents") comes less than a year after selling the BBC his half-interest in the show. Considering his past head-butting with BBC top brass it makes you wonder if they weren't looking for an excuse to ditch him. Maybe they figured they could get a two-fer, eliminating a headache and bringing in less expensive talent. If that's the case they may have just laid a massive stinker. Wouldn't be the first time a company has cooked their Golden Goose for its own celebration dinner

Brad

Trust me, they know that in spades. They know that this is a HUGE hit to their financial position, and it could be a permanent one. It will be even worse if May and Hammond both decide to go with Clarkson, because then BBC has to come in with a whole new slate of talent, and that's usually a huge disaster. If it's not a huge disaster, and it does gain traction, it will be slow traction and will take a number of years for it to recover.

The online petition was apparently the tip of the iceberg for response on this issue.