Author Topic: BBC releases Clarkson  (Read 7758 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: BBC releases Clarkson
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2015, 12:26:39 AM »
BBC America is going to air the last episode of Top Gear Season 22 Monday the 13th at 9.

It's apparently the two films they produced before the "Fracas" and is hosted by Hammond and May.  In Top Gear style, reports are that there is a large, stuffed elephant in the room during filming.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2015, 05:54:06 AM »
The show aired in Britain a few weeks ago, and got big ratings. The stuffed elephant was named... Jeremy.

Reviewers alternately called it a brilliant way to end the Clarkson era, other's called it stupid, most felt it was very, very sad to watch because of what it represented.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/29/8863251/top-gear-series-finale

And ah *expletive deleted*it, here's the one thing I was worried about -- a no compete clause for a show on British TV.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/clarksons-contract-precludes-rival-tv-show-till-2017

From the sounds of it, the reported Netflix show is not a done deal, either. I hope to hell that it's on Netflix, because I don't have any way to see it on ITV.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2015, 06:01:48 AM »
It's now know that Chris Evans IS going to be the new TG host. I can't see that, to be perfectly honest. And they're auditioning for talent to join him. OK.

What I suspect is going to happen with the new Top Gear, though, is something that the BBC could never do with Clarkson, May, and Hammond -- turn it into a mindless, trivialized, political correctness festival that ends up offending everyone because it tries so damned hard to offend no one.

I suspect that every show, or just about every show, is going to have a very strong environmental bent to it -- gasoline cars are evil, diesel cars are almost as evil, electric cars are stealthily evil, walking is the ONLY way to commute -- along with a huge feminist element designed to "repair" the "genderphobic psychological damage" done by the last crew.

If it is as tightly controlled and scripted by the BBC as I suspect that it will be, it's going to be excruciating to watch, and I predict Chris Evans will be out of a job again in short order.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »
It's now know that Chris Evans IS going to be the new TG host. I can't see that, to be perfectly honest. And they're auditioning for talent to join him. OK.

What I suspect is going to happen with the new Top Gear, though, is something that the BBC could never do with Clarkson, May, and Hammond -- turn it into a mindless, trivialized, political correctness festival that ends up offending everyone because it tries so damned hard to offend no one.

I suspect that every show, or just about every show, is going to have a very strong environmental bent to it -- gasoline cars are evil, diesel cars are almost as evil, electric cars are stealthily evil, walking is the ONLY way to commute -- along with a huge feminist element designed to "repair" the "genderphobic psychological damage" done by the last crew.

If it is as tightly controlled and scripted by the BBC as I suspect that it will be, it's going to be excruciating to watch, and I predict Chris Evans will be out of a job again in short order.

Plausible, even probable, unless BBC puts its commercial interest first. The irreverent, non-PC tone was, IMO, a key element of the show's success. What you describe will obviously not be the ratings monster they want from a revenue perspective.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Plausible, even probable, unless BBC puts its commercial interest first. The irreverent, non-PC tone was, IMO, a key element of the show's success. What you describe will obviously not be the ratings monster they want from a revenue perspective.

Do you honestly believe these people to be rational and logical? I'm quite certain they think that it would be EVEN BETTER if they were PC because MORE people would watch it since they are no longer being offended.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
Do you honestly believe these people to be rational and logical? I'm quite certain they think that it would be EVEN BETTER if they were PC because MORE people would watch it since they are no longer being offended.

I expect liberals in media/entertainment to be hypocrites. Witness the guns and violence in movies and television included for profit while the producers and actors tweet and make PSAs for gun control. How this tension of objectives will affect the TG reboot remains to be seen. My bet is a middle ground in which BBC produces a consciously tepid, superficial try at recreating the tone and dynamic that, as Mike has stated, will suck hard and be an abysmal commercial flop.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »

I hope to hell that it's on Netflix, because I don't have any way to see it on ITV.

I also hope they end up on Netflix; but if they don't....  https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
My vpn of choice, and it has several U.K. servers you can connect to. Its worked perfectly for me.