Author Topic: Ever do anything like this?  (Read 1330 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Ever do anything like this?
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:19:06 AM »
It sparks a memory in me when I took my ~3 yo into the pizza parlor to pick up the pizza and forgot he was with me, got in the car and ALMOST drove away. He was hysterical. I felt like the biggest POS that ever lived. It's 20 yrs later and I STILL feel like a bit of a POS over it.  

But it DOES happen:

Updated: 11:56 a.m. ET March 24, 2006
WASHINGTON - Commuters racing to catch the train typically forget things in the car  keys, wallets, briefcases. But a baby daughter?

Thats what happened Thursday just north of Washington, police say.

Dad forgot baby was in the car, parked the car, got on the Metro, said Lucille Baur, a spokeswoman for the Montgomery County, Md., Police Department.

I dont know exactly when he got the memory flash, but he was in D.C. when it was the horrible defining moment, Oh, my goodness, I think Ive left my child back in my car, Baur said.

At that point, she said, Jonathan Sander got off the southbound train and onto a northbound one, returning to the Shady Grove Metrorail station about 12 miles north of Washington.

By that time, other commuters had noticed the 7 1/2-month-old girl in the back seat of the car, firefighters had opened the locked door and the child had been taken to a hospital as a precaution.

She was reunited there with her mother.

Child Protective Services was comfortable with releasing the child back to the mom, said Baur. We all believe that the child was not intentionally left in the car.

Sander, described as terrified, embarrassed, was charged with leaving a child under 8 unattended in a car or building. He could face a fine of up to $500 and 30 days in jail.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 09:11:01 AM »
Nope.  The worst thing I've ever done was forget to buckle my child's carseat...and I realized it before I got out of the grocery store parking lot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »
It happened where I work.  A guy was supposed to drop the baby off at the day care.  Usually the wife took care of that task, and he forgot about it all day since he wasn't part of his routine.  At the end of the day he rushed the baby to the clinic, but it was too late.  I really can't imagine the mental anguish that would cause.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:29:24 AM »
Ok, this is something I've always thought about but never thought to say: You guys all know what a papoose is, right?  At what point and for what reason did we do away with those?  Any of you ever walk around with an empty holster having forgotten to pick up your gun?  No?  I wonder why not...  How about a kid holster that makes it real obvious when you're not carrying the baby.

280, I think that's a brain-stem reaction from any decent parent.  The absolute worst thing you could ever do is endanger your child.  I'm attaching no value judgement to what you did, but I know I would feel the exact same way in that situation, and I would be glad I felt that way.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 09:47:47 AM »
I think more like a proximity alarm. If you go more than 25 ft away from the kid, an alrm on your wrist or neck goes off. As crazy as it sounds, people forget they have their kids with them. And the word "terrified" describes very well how you feel when you do.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »

They actually have proximity alarms that you can stick on expensive-but-small gadgets, like camcorders.  It'd be pretty simply to re-task one.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »
Hmmm, a catchy name and we might be on to something...

Cheesy

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:42:46 AM »
Crap.  It's already been done.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
Crap, another get rich quick scheme down the tubes...

Cheesy

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 05:32:11 PM »
Seems to happen in Dallas but only during the summer with the windows rolled up in the car.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein