Author Topic: Pet food shortages  (Read 1558 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Pet food shortages
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
Putting this in a new thread.

Check on your pet food supply as there are ongoing shortages in, and this is apparently a new thing.

I got Seren food today. She eats Purina ProPlan lamb and rice. Purina stock was a lot closer to normal, but was low. Royal Canin, on the other hand? Decimated. Other brands were also showing a lot less stock than I would expect.

Lady at the checkout said that Royal Canin, Science Diet, and some others have been especially hard hit, and they don't expect Royal Canin to be back in stock for a couple of months.

Talked to my neighbor and he said that he saw signs at a local grocery chain about pet food shortages.

Make sure you have a proper supply of your chosen food; if you don't, and can't get more, make plans to transition your pets at least temporarily.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Pet food shortages
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 01:03:25 PM »
Been having trouble finding certain kinds of kitten food lately. I figured because I remember reading about a surge in pet adoptions
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »
Just bought cat food yesterday.  Cat food seemed in good supply.  I hope it stays because my insane Nutball cat only eats one kind of food.

Tried to get her to eat sardines and salmon one time.  Idiot sat there wondering what it was.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »

I got Seren food today. She eats Purina ProPlan lamb and rice. Purina stock was a lot closer to normal, but was low. Royal Canin, on the other hand? Decimated.

Some bags of Royal Canin are upwards of ~$40 for a 6lb bag, ~$70-80 for 15lb. Read the ingredients, it's mostly garbage and in my opinion pretty much junk food. Many of the far cheaper foods are better for your pet.
I mostly buy Iams.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »
Putting this in a new thread.

Check on your pet food supply as there are ongoing shortages in, and this is apparently a new thing.

I got Seren food today. She eats Purina ProPlan lamb and rice. Purina stock was a lot closer to normal, but was low. Royal Canin, on the other hand? Decimated. Other brands were also showing a lot less stock than I would expect.

Lady at the checkout said that Royal Canin, Science Diet, and some others have been especially hard hit, and they don't expect Royal Canin to be back in stock for a couple of months.

Talked to my neighbor and he said that he saw signs at a local grocery chain about pet food shortages.

Make sure you have a proper supply of your chosen food; if you don't, and can't get more, make plans to transition your pets at least temporarily.

Noted.

Dearest Wifey loads up on catfood at Wally World for the good stuff, there or the farm sore for kibble.  All through the past year supply on the canned stuff has been spotty.  Sometimes a decent stock, sometimes not.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
I don't feed Royal Canin, but if you do and need it, Chewy as a bunch of it's varieties in stock.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 03:10:34 PM »
I don't feed Royal Canin, but if you do and need it, Chewy as a bunch of it's varieties in stock.

Royal Canin's not the only food that's affected.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 07:24:08 PM »
Some bags of Royal Canin are upwards of ~$40 for a 6lb bag, ~$70-80 for 15lb. Read the ingredients, it's mostly garbage and in my opinion pretty much junk food. Many of the far cheaper foods are better for your pet.
I mostly buy Iams.

[runs for bomb shelter]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 07:52:26 PM »
Okay maybe junk food was a little harsh but it's way way waaaaaay over priced for what it is.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »
My cats get Whole Earth Farms grain free kibble otherwise I'm cleaning it up off the hardwoods a few hours later.

So far no problems with that,  though the wet food Sheba Perfect Portions grain free Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow

Sorry, that is to say the Sheba was hard to find for several months, but seems to be back to normal now.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 09:16:00 PM »
I was looking at transitioning Steve and the cat to Kirkland (lamb and rice for Steve, whatever for the cat). I have had Steve on Science Diet since he showed up in the condition that he did, as per the vet's recommendation, but think I can move him off of it. I've been giving Barney the cat that Tractor Supply Taste of the Wild, which she likes. I just a couple of months ago thought I would try Science Diet with her, but she won't touch it.

I'll need to check the stock at Costco on my next trip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 12:10:06 AM »
I was looking at transitioning Steve and the cat to Kirkland (lamb and rice for Steve, whatever for the cat).

I've been feeding our 4 Kirkland/Diamond Select for quite a while.  I tend to alternate between a bag of Lamb and Rice, then Chicken and Rice to give them some variety.  The change does not seem to have any bad effect on them at all.  I've been keeping a spreadsheet on their consumption since July of 2014.  A 40 pound bag is consistently gone through in 19 - 21 days. Either mix meets that average. That's with me putting the food out and them eating at will. 
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
I've been giving Barney the cat that Tractor Supply Taste of the Wild, which she likes. I just a couple of months ago thought I would try Science Diet with her, but she won't touch it.

Taste of the Wild isn’t a Tractor Supply brand. It’s actually a pretty decent food. Much higher quality than Science Diet. I know the breeder i got my Stafford from feeds it to her 6 or so dogs. I wish i could still feed dog food; but since my pooch had his surgery for a plugged urethra and a bladder full of cystine stones my only options are two prescription foods, and the one brand on the market that actually measures purine levels (that’s what causes cystine stones). Unfortunately, both prescriptions use egg by product meal as their primary source of protein... $76/ 18# seemed a bit steep for ground egg shells. Then the only other food he can have was good for a couple months, then it started really irritating his system. Pretty sure it’s one of the grains in it, as it was the first food he’s ever had with grains. Now i get to cook for him twice a day. Dog eats better than i do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »
Taste of the Wild isn’t a Tractor Supply brand. It’s actually a pretty decent food. Much higher quality than Science Diet.

Oh, that's good to know. I have not seen it anywhere else around here, and it is way cheaper than Science Diet. Maybe I'll keep Barney on their cat food, since she really likes it and I'm always at Tractor Supply anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »
Our cats will soon have to go back to the old standby, "Mice in a blender".
Keeps the bones from sticking in the throat.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 02:32:01 PM »
There's a LOT of controversy over rankings of pet foods, what's good, what's bad, etc.

This site is probably the best and most legitimate of all of them.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »
The dog gets Purina One SmartBlend turkey/venison or small breed, to give him some variety.  The cat gets Purina One senior or Iams senior.  Neither animal particularly likes wet canned foord.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »
There's a LOT of controversy over rankings of pet foods, what's good, what's bad, etc.

This site is probably the best and most legitimate of all of them.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Yup. Great site. They take no advertising dollars, and judge based just on the ingredients. Plus, they usually have links to any recalls the food has had. If you have trouble finding your brand locally, try chewy.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »
Yup. Great site. They take no advertising dollars, and judge based just on the ingredients. Plus, they usually have links to any recalls the food has had. If you have trouble finding your brand locally, try chewy.com

They really rip into the Science Diet there. Glad I'm switching.  :laugh:

Old Romy really got along well on the Kirkland, but it was also supplemented with a chicken and broccoli mix I made myself. Steve and Barney also get supplemented with chicken thighs I bake in the oven, then tear into smaller chunks. Steve gets a couple of them with his morning chow (fed twice a day, plus a small "snack" at lunch), and Barney gets a hunk of chicken in the morning, a small bite of chicken at lunch, then the dry food in the evening. Plus the bajillion gophers and voles she catches this time of year.

I had to take Steve to the dogsitter for my trip to CA this week. For Barney, I just filled a big bowl of water, filled her food bowl to the top with dry, then figure she'll catch her food for the rest of the week. Last week when I got back from CA, as I drove up to the garage, she ran to meet me with a gopher in her mouth.  :laugh:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 05:53:55 PM »
We feed our dogs Kirkland "Mature" dog kibble.  It's chicken and rice based.  We were feeding them the regular formula Kirkland or Member's Mark (Sam's Club) chicken and rice kibble but it's really high in calories and the old dog was getting way too fat; young dog was doing fine.  The Mature formula is quite a bit lower in calories but not nearly as lean as the Healthy Weight formula and they are both doing well with it and they like it.

Shadow gets more treats and scraps to make up the calorie difference.  Penny gets an occasional tidbit of lean meat or one of her glucosamine balls that she thinks are treats.  Penny also really likes cooked green beans and I can give her one of those for a treat so she doesn't feel left out.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 06:40:46 AM »
I had to move Seren off chicken-based kibble a few months ago after she started in with some nasty allergy symptoms and relentless ear problems (that I'm STILL fighting).

I moved her to lamb and rice and have tried to remove every other chicken product from her diet (still working to find a non-chicken based dental treat that she'll eat), and her allergy issues are a lot better.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 01:25:11 AM »
Raw feeding is our preference.  Not that it’s “better” just what we’ve gone with.  So long as whole chickens and occasionally bone-in beef is available at loss-leader pricing we’re set for pet food.  With the chickens, and eventually lamb, I raise we get plenty of organ meat to mix in.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »
We feed only grain free to whatever critters we have.  At one point we had 7 dogs and 3 cats but nature has thinned the herd to 3 and 1.  Lamb and rice for the dogs and seafood for the cat.  We haven't found that a special brand made a huge difference and certainly don't buy the bulk bags of junk food for them.  The horses get Senior Feed and alfalfa pellets to supplement 3 1/2 acres of pasture.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
If you're feeding a grain free diet, google dialated cardiomyeopathy pets and read up on it. It's pretty sobering.