Author Topic: Memphis bridge closed due to crack  (Read 2442 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Memphis bridge closed due to crack
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 11:46:22 PM »

I already know the excuse. The bridge has been fine in the preceding years so there is no way a crack that big could just happen in such a short period of time. He assumed it was bird crap or some other biologic debris on the bridge. The arbitrator agrees, he is rehired, given back pay and allowances and a promotion where he no longer does the field work on bridge inspections.  :O

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 05:40:42 AM »
It was undergoing a seismic retrofit.  It is near the New Madrid Seismic Zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernando_de_Soto_Bridge#Seismic_retrofit_project

" It is of similar construction to the Sherman Minton Bridge between Louisville, Kentucky, and New Albany, Indiana."

I hope this generates a scrupulous review of all major engineering features throughout the country including bridges, tunnels, and dams for vulnerability as well as integrity.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 05:57:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 08:48:59 AM »
Due to the angle of the drone I am not certain, but did it progress from a crack in 2019 to the complete break in 2021?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 09:23:26 AM »
Due to the angle of the drone I am not certain, but did it progress from a crack in 2019 to the complete break in 2021?

I would say yes.
Also I wonder how far back the crack first started and was "missed"

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
I'm wondering if since it was undergoing a Seismic retrofit anyway, it was one of those things that "everyone" knew was going to be taken care of during the retrofit, so why report it year after year.  Yeah, somebody was fired, but I wonder about that, just a thought..
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 06:41:17 PM »
It was undergoing a seismic retrofit.  It is near the New Madrid Seismic Zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernando_de_Soto_Bridge#Seismic_retrofit_project

" It is of similar construction to the Sherman Minton Bridge between Louisville, Kentucky, and New Albany, Indiana."

I hope this generates a scrupulous review of all major engineering features throughout the country including bridges, tunnels, and dams for vulnerability as well as integrity.
The Sherman Minton bridge is being worked on right now, for what it matters.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 07:18:44 PM »

What I would like to know is: What's up with what appears to be a fairly new inspection port of some kind on the top of the corresponding beam immediately to the left of the upright? It's a slightly different color, so it must have been placed after the bridge was past painted. If I had to guess, my guess would be that someone wanted or needed to get a look at what was happening inside that connection, so they cut out an inspection port and then bolted on a cover rather than welding a plate over it -- which may suggest that they wanted to be able to come back and look at it again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 07:45:04 PM »
Maybe access for the back side of those plates for the original construction?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 09:00:35 PM »
I would say yes.
Also I wonder how far back the crack first started and was "missed"

Just, wow.  :O

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2021, 09:23:50 PM »
Would meth be better or worse than crack for a bridge?

About five plus years ago we had a deck crack on a bridge south of me. Missouri came out and put a four lane wide piece of steel on it with. Bunch of bolts and a bump sign. My dad was visiting right after and asked when are they going to fix it? I said this is Missouri it is fixed. Last time he visited he said crap that is what they do around here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2021, 10:12:11 AM »
Lookin, at that crack/break, it appears to me that there wasn't enough tension on that clevis which means that the suspension cable went slack. At my age, I understand what it means to a clevis when my cable goes slack ...  :rofl:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2021, 11:47:10 PM »

What I would like to know is: What's up with what appears to be a fairly new inspection port of some kind on the top of the corresponding beam immediately to the left of the upright? It's a slightly different color, so it must have been placed after the bridge was past painted. If I had to guess, my guess would be that someone wanted or needed to get a look at what was happening inside that connection, so they cut out an inspection port and then bolted on a cover rather than welding a plate over it -- which may suggest that they wanted to be able to come back and look at it again.
I'm curious as to what dented that vertical drain pipe just there. It's also discolored which means it happened since the last paint job. Also oddly coincidental that it's close to the crack.

So we've got an added inspection cover, a strangely located dent, and a broken beam all in the same area. Clearly it's aliens.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »
I'm curious as to what dented that vertical drain pipe just there. It's also discolored which means it happened since the last paint job. Also oddly coincidental that it's close to the crack.

So we've got an added inspection cover, a strangely located dent, and a broken beam all in the same area. Clearly it's aliens.

Could it all be the result of a bridge strike from a barge or some such?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
The articles refer to the cracked member as a "beam" but, in reality, I don't think it is a beam. The structure of that type of bridge relies primarily on the main arches to carry the weight -- of the bridge structure itself, of the roadway, and of the traffic. Think of it like at attic truss in a house. The lower, horizontal member that carries the ceiling isn't a "beam," it's the bottom chord of a truss. The nature of the members of a truss is that they are supposed to act mostly in tension or compression, and major loads are supposed to be applied only at intersections of multiple members.

You can see that in these photos. Look behind the riveted gusset plate and you can see several other parts converging in where the cracked "beam," the vertical member, and the other "beam" come together. That said, truss members do act to a lesser degree as beams for localized loads. Again using the house attic truss, the loads of the roof go along the top chord members until the loads get transferred into the truss verticals and diagonals. Likewise the weight of the ceiling -- each short section of bottom chord acts like a short, local beam to carry the weight of that section of ceiling to the points of intersection; at the points on intersection ("panel points") all loads are converted into either tension or compression in the truss members.

The cracked beam should have been subject almost entirely to tension or compression. That's not a tension crack -- that's a shear crack. For long beams, the type of stress away from the ends is bending, and the type of stress at the ends is shear. Joints in steel structures are often reinforced near joints to handle shear stresses. The fact that this member failed -- apparently in shear -- so close to the end of that gusset plate suggests to me that the entire design of the bridge may be flawed. I don't know what the two highway departments are doing but if I were the engineer hired to look at this thing, I would be re-running ALL the numbers for the design of the entire bridge. I would not be surprised if we read in a few weeks that those gusset plates are too small (too short) and that they all have to be replaced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2021, 05:24:21 PM »
A wider picture and maybe a level on th beam would by nice.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG