Author Topic: New Taurus micro-compact: the GX4  (Read 2113 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:43:45 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: New Yaurus micro-compact: the GX4
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »
I already have a Sig P365 and a Springfield Hellcat OSP, but if they sell below the mid 300’s I may pick one up just to compare to the first 2.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 09:51:39 AM »
I'd love to get a Yarus, but I don't have much interest in a Taurus...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 09:58:31 AM »
I’m 7 for 7 on shootable, reliable and accurate enough for use Taurus pistols (revolvers and autoloaders)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 10:02:46 AM »
MSRP $392.42 and apparently the 10 and 11 rounders are two different models with the 10 being for I suppose certain states
https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurus-gx4

With the introduction of our first-ever micro-compact 9mm, the all-new Taurus GX4â„¢ boldly outclasses anything else in its class—reaching unprecedented new heights in concealed carry firearm engineering, ergonomics and innovation.

It's actually a bit larger than the Hellcat with no optical ready model shown so no to the underlined IMHO. Will be cheaper though
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
With the G3 and now the GX4, Taurus was smart to have Glock-compatible sights for easy change out to a large number of sight manufacturers.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: New Taurus micro-compact: the GX4
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »
I just might have to look at the inexpensive 9 mm micro-compact format in the next several months to compare and contrast.  I currently carry one of my AMT DAO 9 mm Backup pistols on the bicycle.  But at 6+1 and 25 ounces, it is heavy for the capacity, albeit it is the most compact 9 mm pistol I own.  If I could get something with a larger capacity and lighter weight in the same size at a reasonable price, I will ponder it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
I just might have to look at the inexpensive 9 mm micro-compact format in the next several months to compare and contrast.  I currently carry one of my AMT DAO 9 mm Backup pistols on the bicycle.  But at 6+1 and 25 ounces, it is heavy for the capacity, albeit it is the most compact 9 mm pistol I own.  If I could get something with a larger capacity and lighter weight in the same size at a reasonable price, I will ponder it.

I have to say that I am really sold on my P365XL. Until I got it, I just thought it was the popular cool kids gun, but it really is well designed. When I was buying it, I also looked at the SAS version, with the flush mount sights. I know some guys don't like those sights, but man, they just came up every time for me when I played with the gun in the store. If I didn't already have a P938, I might have bought that one as well. I actually still might pick it up at some point.

Sig really hit it out of the park with the 365, IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 11:36:23 AM »
MSRP $392.42 and apparently the 10 and 11 rounders are two different models with the 10 being for I suppose certain states
https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurus-gx4

It's actually a bit larger than the Hellcat with no optical ready model shown so no to the underlined IMHO. Will be cheaper though

They'll get there, I'm sure. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
Taurus just announced their 9 mm micro-compact: the GX4.  More popularity of the 9 mm micro-compact format.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/5/19/review-taurus-gx4-micro-compact-pistol

I could tell from the pictures that it wasn't just another take on the G2/G3 series.  Various pins weren't there, the takedown is different.

Way, way down the page in the AmRifleman article, they show the guts of it.

Looks similar to the Millenium G2 and descendants, but rendered as a chassis.  The sear looks like it's the same.  I can't see how the trigger bar is working.

Interesting

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »
^^^The article talks about how the stainless steel chassis holds the fire control unit, so it sounds similar to my M-17.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »

Palmetto State Armory has Hellcats for $529 or the OSP version for $549 if your interested. Not necessarily inexpensive it one well known for its durability

https://palmettostatearmory.com/springfield-hellcat-9mm-pistol-10rd-3-hc9319blc.html

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 02:13:42 PM »
On a somewhat related note, but pertinent to my bicycle carry: on some of my forums and groups about e-bikes, I notice an uptick in people reporting being robbed of their expensive e-bikes while riding.  The majority of the people in these forums and groups are from Europe, Asia and North America, and it seems to be happening around the world.  The most common means of robbery is to literally push the person on the bike over, pull them off the bike, grab the bicycle and take off.  From the posts, this usually happens when the bicycle is stopped and in larger urban cities.  Some specific makes and models of e bikes are being stolen to order.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
Palmetto State Armory has Hellcats for $529 or the OSP version for $549 if your interested. Not necessarily inexpensive it one well known for its durability

https://palmettostatearmory.com/springfield-hellcat-9mm-pistol-10rd-3-hc9319blc.html
I have seen the S&W Shield plus for similar pricing in stores locally.  I like what I have seen of that pistol.  Still haven't found spare magazines for sale.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 02:27:19 PM »
On a somewhat related note, but pertinent to my bicycle carry: on some of my forums and groups about e-bikes, I notice an uptick in people reporting being robbed of their expensive e-bikes while riding.  The majority of the people in these forums and groups are from Europe, Asia and North America, and it seems to be happening around the world.  The most common means of robbery is to literally push the person on the bike over, pull them off the bike, grab the bicycle and take off.  From the posts, this usually happens when the bicycle is stopped and in larger urban cities.  Some specific makes and models of e bikes are being stolen to order.

E-bike users are going to be (usually) older, and somewhat gimped up.  Not likely to put up much of a fight.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »
I have seen the S&W Shield plus for similar pricing in stores locally.  I like what I have seen of that pistol.  Still haven't found spare magazines for sale.

I had an older Shield and didn’t care for it at all.  Haven’t shot the + model but definitely like the Hellcat better than the older Shield I had.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »
HandgunHero has it up for comparison
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/springfield-hellcat-micro-compact-vs-taurus-gx4

I'll stick with the Hellcat since I already have one.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 10:21:12 PM »
Pants gun is usually a Glock 43. Vest gun is going to be moving to boot gun, and is s Smith 642.

I want a .44 special or .45 in a very small package.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 10:09:39 AM »
Pants gun is usually a Glock 43. Vest gun is going to be moving to boot gun, and is s Smith 642.

Serious?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »

Does Charter Arms still make the little bulldog revolver?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »
^^^The article talks about how the stainless steel chassis holds the fire control unit, so it sounds similar to my M-17.

One of the things I saw on the GX4 yesterday said it had done away with the "second strike" capability of the MilleniumG2/G2c/etc. series.  (The way that works is a good part of what makes the older trigger kind of "weird" for a lot of people.)

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 10:25:28 AM »
Does Charter Arms still make the little bulldog revolver?

yes, they do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »
Serious?
I wouldn't mind seeing a better compact 45 with at least 10 rounds.  The problem is it is hard to do without being beefier than the 1911.  I have shot the XD compact and didn't really like it.  I never fired a G30, but wondered why Glock never made something in size between a G30 and G21.  The G30 always seemed a bit too small. 

I have an HK 45 compact.  However, I have the suppressor ready model.  It is a nice pistol, but the grip is not as good as the full size model.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a better compact 45 with at least 10 rounds.  The problem is it is hard to do without being beefier than the 1911.  I have shot the XD compact and didn't really like it.  I never fired a G30, but wondered why Glock never made something in size between a G30 and G21.  The G30 always seemed a bit too small. 

I have an HK 45 compact.  However, I have the suppressor ready model.  It is a nice pistol, but the grip is not as good as the full size model.

Have a G29 which uses the same frame and basically the same slide as the 30 except in 10mm. Added a pinky extension https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006080934?pid=504003 to two of the included 10rd mags and it handles just as well as the full size and doesn't effect it's concealability all that much.. Allows full size 15 rounders as backup.
- Calvin and Hobbes