Author Topic: Electric F-150  (Read 518 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Electric F-150
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
Some interesting features. Everyone seems to mostly be talking about the price, which with incentives / tax breaks brings it into the $35K range. Though the below story mentions that the XLT versions are in the $50K range, which is the high range of current XLTs. The cheap one is apparently a stripped fleet version, but still a good price there.

The "Frunk" was surprising as I wasn't thinking about that freed up space. That could come in really handy. One of the main reasons I have an extended cab is for storage of stuff I want to keep in an enclosed space. That would really free up space inside my truck.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/the-electric-ford-f-150-lightning-unveiled-with-a-price-below-40g
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Electric F-150
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »
That's actually pretty cool.  The price is more than I'd pay, but depending on its range and the price of battery pack replacements definitely makes it an interesting idea for the future used market.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »
Would using that storage space for extra batteries or a generator provide more range?  230 to 300 miles is a good range, but it doesn't say if that is with a load or not.  They normally leave that out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:26:05 AM »
Would using that storage space for extra batteries or a generator provide more range?  230 to 300 miles is a good range, but it doesn't say if that is with a load or not.  They normally leave that out.

I guess a lot would depend on use. The range might be fine for some fleet trucks. I think I could be okay with it too. The only reason I take my F150 on road trips is when I don't plan on doing offroading, because it gets 25mpg on the highway versus the 20mpg my 4Runner gets.

However, just now, probably 90% of my truck use is "local", doing at most 100-140 mile round trips. That would be easy enough for a nightly plug in. Obviously if it's your only vehicle and you do a lot of long trips, the range and charging availability become problematic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
Would using that storage space for extra batteries or a generator provide more range? 

Maybe as an extra cost option? If not maybe aftermarket will step up
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »
Neat, but kinda useless from the standpoint of my needs. I regularly travel long distances, eight hours plus, and often am out in the boonies where there gas stations are rare and electrical outlets nonexistent. For an in-town commuter, delivery truck, or job rig, I can see the appeal.

Sorry to see them slap the Lightning moniker on it, though I do recognize the tie-in.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
Neat, but kinda useless from the standpoint of my needs. I regularly travel long distances, eight hours plus, and often am out in the boonies where there gas stations are rare and electrical outlets nonexistent. For an in-town commuter, delivery truck, or job rig, I can see the appeal.

Sorry to see them slap the Lightning moniker on it, though I do recognize the tie-in.

Brad
I think that is how most rural people will look at it. 

The only electric vehicle I would like is an electric UTV to more quietly drive around the woods. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge