Author Topic: Man Arrested in DC for Having a Cased Rifle in His Vehicle  (Read 4178 times)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Man Arrested in DC for Having a Cased Rifle in His Vehicle
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
WASHINGTON, D.C.   A man is under arrest in Washington after an improvised explosive device, a rifle and some ammunition were allegedly found in his jeep, Capitol Police said Friday.

The man stopped to ask police for directions near the Capitol building at about 11 a.m. EDT Friday, at the intersection of 2nd and Independence Avenue Southeast, according to Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider.

The officer responding noticed a rifle case on the car seat and inspected the jeep, discovering the IED, rifle and ammunition. A canine unit was enlisted to help.

"They've all been rendered safe right now because they're in the custody of Capitol Police," Schneider told reporters at a briefing Friday.

The officer took the unidentified man into custody; the vehicle is still being searched.

Library of Congress employees near where the jeep was stopped were evacuated, and several roads are closed while police continue their investigation.

Schneider said that it wasn't clear what the man intended to do with the cache of weapons.

The IED is on its way to the FBI facility in Quantico, Va., for analysis.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417581,00.html

Last I heard, it WAS legal to transport a rifle in a case. Does having a cased rifle constitute probable cause for a LEO to search a vehicle ?!?!?!
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Man Arrested in DC for Having a Cased Rifle in His Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »
A cop in CA can look at a rifle to see if it is unloaded, I bet the "IED" isn't.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
I guess what I'm wondering is IF I have a cased rifle in my vehicle in DC, does that constitute "probable cause" to search the rest of the vehicle ?? If not, then I see some problems brewing again for DC. Furthermore, does ONE rifle, some ammo, and an "IED"  constitute a "cache of weapons" ??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 11:49:50 AM »
I'll be interested to see what the "IED" is.

If you were an evil terrorist plotter carrying an explosive device in the nation's capital, would you keep your rifle in plain sight while approaching police officers for directions?

Maybe it's a really stupid terrorist.  If the IED is really an IED, I'm surprised the guy hadn't blown himself up yet.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »

Maybe a box of baking powder?   cheesy

Oh, I know, a canister of smokeless for handloading.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »
It's DC

no guns allowed
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »
It's DC

no guns allowed
FOPA? He shouldn't have a problem passing through DC right?
I wouldn't be surprised if this "IED" turns out to be some smokeless powder, or unmixed tannerite or somesuch.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:16:09 PM »
FOPA protects interstate transport.

This guy was on streets, not highways.  He stopped and asked for undisclosed directions.  It may have been to the nearest on-ramp to the interstate, or it may have been directions to the vice-presidential residence.  We don't know.  But, if his "destination" that he asked directions for was in DC, he was in posession of an unregistered firearm that was not disassembled or otherwise rendered inoperable.

The additional "IED" charge sounds specious, since no description of the device was given.  It was also transported intact rather than disassembled or detonated on site.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Umber

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me if they found some hand loaded ammo and screeched, "IED!!"

Umber

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »
Huh?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »
Here's a better article from the WaPo:

Man With Rifle, Pistol Arrested Near Library of Congress

By Paul Duggan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 5, 2008; 3:36 PM

Capitol Police arrested a man near the Library of Congress today after turning up a rifle, loaded pistol and a possible explosive device inside his Jeep, authorities said.

The man, whose identity has not yet been released, was taken into custody at 11 a.m. at Second Street and Independence Avenue SE, several blocks from the Capitol. Traffic in the area was diverted while authorities searched the vehicle, and police remained at the scene well into the afternoon.

No one was hurt.

Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, a Capitol Police spokeswoman, said the events began unfolding after the man stopped his Jeep to ask an officer a question. The officer noticed a rifle case in the back seat, she said, leading to the search.

Inside the vehicle, Schneider said, police found "what appears to be a hand grenade," along with a rifle, loaded pistol, at least one knife, ammunition and magazines. Police also found "several other items of concern," she said. She did not elaborate.

The man was driving a gray vehicle with Virginia tags.

Authorities brought in a special bomb squad vehicle to safely contain the device. They planned to examine it at a secure location and, if necessary, detonate it.
A grenade that the explosive dogs didn't hit on .... hmmmmm ( I heard that part on the TV newscast) Something makes me think it was inert. (or one of those Cig Lighter ones). The loaded pistol is definitely trouble for him, as DC has no Carry provisions. "Items of concern" ..... WTH ?!?!?!?!? That could be something as insignificant as some sort of Gun magazine (paper type)

In January, a Virginia man was arrested near the Capitol after authorities caught him with a shotgun and a sword in the 300 block of First Street NE. They later found what they described as a stash of explosives in his pickup truck.

That man, Michael S. Gorbey, was convicted on 14 charges, including one of attempting to make and possess a weapon of mass destruction. He was sentenced last month to a 22-year prison term.

I fail to see what the second quote has to do with the first part of the article published by the Washington Post. Gorbey is in jail, probably on trumped up charges, too.

USMILNET

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
Police also found "several other items of concern," she said. She did not elaborate.

Why do these two sentences concern me when in reference to the DC cops?.... Huh?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »
Those inert grenades are no longer paperweights, they're now "simulated explosive devices".

I kind of wonder at that resin RPG-7 Sportsman's Guide still sells, too. That seems like you'd be asking for a Blackhawk with a bunch of fast-ropes dropping out of it onto your roof.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »
They've all been rendered safe right now because they're in the custody of Capitol Police," Schneider told reporters at a briefing Friday.

shocked Apparently the only safe firearms are the ones in police custody.

discovering the IED,
possible explosive device inside his Jeep

In the first one they were calling it an IED, and now it is only possibly an explosive devise.

including one of attempting to make and possess a weapon of mass destruction.
discovering the IED,

I wonder if before 9-11 if they would still be using this terminology?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 07:41:02 AM »
In the first one they were calling it an IED, and now it is only possibly an explosive devise.

A burrito from Taco Bell Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 07:57:54 AM »
Nothing to see,move along, move along. Let's all go drink victory gin and smile.  police
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
explosive device = a sparkler I bet

mfree

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »
Who wants to take bets that DC or Boston would mistake one of the Camo'd cans of Yoders bacon as an IED?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
Just a good lesson.  If you drive into D.C. with guns in your vehicle and get caught, they will dream up every single charge they can.

Given all the news from Heller, you would think he would know. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

onebigelf

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »

Maybe a box of baking powder?   cheesy

Oh, I know, a canister of smokeless for handloading.

It's a JEEP.  Maybe a 5gal jerry can of gas and some road flares?

John