Author Topic: More limits on free speech by the P.C police  (Read 5766 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: More limits on free speech by the P.C police
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »
I don't see what the problem is?

XM owns their service, they don't approve of how one of their acts preformed, they punished them.  How is that not XM's right as the people who own the place?

They offer a place not censored by the goverment but that doesn't mean they have to allow anything and everything and can't pull anyone.  If the comments had been, say, racial and they didn't approve of it going over their airwaves would anyone complain?  How about if they broadcasted a suicide over their show and XM's network?  Yeah, we aren't talking that we are talking a crude joke.  But the principle is the same, private buisness and they can choose not to air what they please.  Just because they advertise non-censored entertainment that doesn't mean they can't self regulate.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: More limits on free speech by the P.C police
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
lup,

The problem is that some people seem to think the Imus and O&A dust-ups represent some "chilling effect" that forebodes some crack-down on free speech. 

But, of course, it is a red herring, that gets far more coverage than the talk hosts who have recently been fired for their political point of view, not for jokes about rape.  Not to mention the potential revival of the Fairness Doctrine, which would effectively censor right-wing points of view on the radio.  Interestingly, I hear the ACLU might be on the right side of this one. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife