Author Topic: Solved the electrical problem!  (Read 4053 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Solved the electrical problem!
« on: August 01, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »
Back in February I posted about the intermittent service I was getting to the receptacles in the three bathrooms in the house, in this thread: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=11154.0

They're wired into a GFCI in the basement.

Well, I got off work early today, and finally decided to pull the outlet on the exterior of the house.

You guess it, it was bad!

The connection was backstabbed, and the neutral backstab spring clamp on the line going to the bathroom receptacles had lost its spring. The neutral wire was making contact when it felt like it.

First thing tomorrow I'm going to hit Home Depot, get a new outside receptacle and weather cover and put everything right again. It's pretty evident that the old weather cover hasn't quite been doing its job, as the terminal screws are pretty badly rusted.

All in all, this fix should take me no more than an hour.

It will be nice to have power in the bathrooms again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Solved the electrical problem!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
Those stupid gaskets that come with outdoor covers only seam to last about a week.
Do your self a favor and run a bead of clear silicone around it and chuck the gasket thingy that comes with it.
Oh and put the wire on the screw where it belongs.
No never mind I make plenty of money each year finding those and fixing them.
Back stabs are the work of the devil. Evil
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
In Florida, one of the outdoor outlets was destroyed by ants deciding it'd be a good place for a nest. Which apparently worked until there were enough ants to cause a short, which killed all the ants and wrecked the outlet.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
By back stabs, do you mean those holes in the back of the switch that you can theoretically stab in the wire?  I have found a couple of light switches that are complete cracked open because someone stabbed in thick gauge wire that didn't fit and broke open the plastic switch. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »
I loathe those things. A number of years ago my then-wife and I moved into a NEW condominium. As is typical around here, there were no overhead lights in the bedrooms, just an outlet wired to a wall switch by the door. Great -- except that none of the outlets in the master bedroom seemed to be connected to the switch.

Which, of course, turned out to be the same problem as Mike's -- a back stab port with zero spring tension. Once I found it, five minutes work put the wires on the screws (where God intended them to be) and there were no more problems.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 02:26:34 AM »
where God intended them to be
  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:36:01 AM »
And of course, this morning, it is raining.

Jeezuzzzzz...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 03:07:05 AM »
Well it is fistful's fault, unless you were burning floppys again.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 03:19:38 AM »
test the gfi  work on outlet live in rain
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 03:58:20 AM »
A number of years ago my then-wife and I moved into a NEW condominium. As is typical around here...a back stab port with zero spring tension. Once I found it, five minutes work put the wires on the screws (where God intended them to be) and there were no more problems.

I live in a slapped-together tract house. Same thing - every one. All the ones I've had the covers off of I've redone.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 04:46:52 AM »
I, too, have rewired quite a few of the outlets and switches over the years, but not all of them.

I really should make a concerted effort to do them all.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
By back stabs, do you mean those holes in the back of the switch that you can theoretically stab in the wire?  I have found a couple of light switches that are complete cracked open because someone stabbed in thick gauge wire that didn't fit and broke open the plastic switch. 

Yep those wholes were only meant to 14 awg wire.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »
yhey make 20 amp breakers with stab ins that are much better, they are more pricey but hold up much better.  one aqdvantage to stabins is that so long as you strip them correctly. no way for grounds etc to short out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »
yhey make 20 amp breakers with stab ins that are much better, they are more pricey but hold up much better.  one aqdvantage to stabins is that so long as you strip them correctly. no way for grounds etc to short out

The cheap outlets I got way back when have the 14 gauge backstabs...  Making them completely useless in my 12 gauge wired house.  The places I put them in(low usage spots), I just used the screws.  Most were already curled for them anyways...

My premium outlets have what look like square plates, you turn the screw, they tighten/loosen.  I've used those quite a few times, will I be ok?

Given the talk about springs going bad, I think I should be ok.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
the ones you are using are great! i work in older homes metal boxes shorts suck  the backstabs help

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
"My premium outlets have what look like square plates, you turn the screw, they tighten/loosen.  I've used those quite a few times, will I be ok?"

Not quite sure what you mean by this...

Do you mean that when you turn the screw, there's a metal plate UNDER the screw, and you put the straight wire under that and tighten the screw down on the plate, which clamps the wire in place?

If that's what you're talking about, as long as you snug them down GOOD and tight, yes, you will be fine.

The outlet I put in today has that exact system. I like those because they give you the best of both worlds -- the straight wires that you would use in a backstab outlet, but the security of catching the wire in a screw fastener.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
Do you mean that when you turn the screw, there's a metal plate UNDER the screw, and you put the straight wire under that and tighten the screw down on the plate, which clamps the wire in place?

There's a metal plate inside the outlet housing, with a couple of holes to insert the straight wire per screw.  You tighten the screw and the plate pulls towards the screw, resulting in a tight connection.

If that's what you're talking about, as long as you snug them down GOOD and tight, yes, you will be fine.

Being lazy, I use a electric driver for tightening them.  I generally have the torque setting on 3.

The outlet I put in today has that exact system. I like those because they give you the best of both worlds -- the straight wires that you would use in a backstab outlet, but the security of catching the wire in a screw fastener.

Having had to pull a few wires from the backstabs, I'd say an additional benefit is easy disconnection if/when the time comes.  Just loosen the screw.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »
Yeah, close enough to what the new outlet I have has.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
those kind of covers are no longer allowed by code anyway. the new code requires what are called "in use" covers.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 07:18:20 AM »
"in use" covers.

Please describe...

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 07:39:09 AM »
Please describe...
Instead of the little individual spring-loaded covers that swing off to the side (and therefore leave the receptacle open to weather), the "in use" covers are these lexan bubble covers that shield the entire thing.  They swing upward, thus providing weather coverage while the outlet is "in use."

Found a pic:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »
OK, I looked for one of those on Saturday.

I coudln't find one at Home Depot. Mtnbkr has one of those on the rear of his house, and I would have bought one had I been able to find it.

I did find a Carlon, I think that's the company) weather cover that is flat, white plastic. You actually have to push on the cover to lock it into place, otherwise I don't believe that it is weatherproof.