Author Topic: DOW is now in the 7000's...  (Read 4047 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
DOW is now in the 7000's...
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:00:11 PM »
I do not want to look at the 401K.

Holy crap...

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: DOW is now in the 7000's...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Hooray!!!

Down, down, down to goblin town.  Check going out Friday. =D

SEP Police=> :police:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
I figured it would hit 7500 and stay flat for 6-9 months. Almost 50% of its value gone since the highs of 14000 not too long ago.

So much for dividends this year :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »
I figured it would hit 7500 and stay flat for 6-9 months. Almost 50% of its value gone since the highs of 14000 not too long ago.

So much for dividends this year :)

I don't know. Holiday sales are supposed to be atrocious. If so, there will be tumbleweeds-blowing abandoned Big Box in overbuilt areas next year.

Already, the #2 operator of malls has said they're in danger of declaring bankruptcy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »
I'm still holding to my personal theory that the Dow is going to find bottom somewhere between 6500 and 7500 and will circle for awhile before it finally starts to tick back up in late 2009.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
I do not want to look at the 401K.

Holy crap...

I did. The screaming was loud and long.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »
I'm still holding to my personal theory that the Dow is going to find bottom somewhere between 6500 and 7500 and will circle for awhile before it finally starts to tick back up in late 2009.

US Bank or American Bank something to that name said something similar on CNN (I think) today.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Awsome time to re-enter the job market.  =D

Not.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »

I know, mine is down 30-40%!!!

Of course, it's REALLY hard to tell with mine since my bi-weekly contribution raises it by roughly 5%.

I do have less money in it than I have put in... (As noted in another thread, I just started my 401k.... I'm REALLY happy I am investing it now, the value of everything I've put in this year and next by the time I retire... MMMmmmm, the joys of compounding....)

Of course, this is assuming the government doesn't just steal my 401K.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »
Several of my picks, including the Dodge and Cox stock fund, have lost over 1/2 of their value. High on the D&C was somewhere over $160. It closed yesterday just shy of $69.

I'm dollar cost averaging it like mad right now.

It's done this before, gone down significantly in value, and it's always come back resoundingly.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 03:00:15 PM »
(Covering ears) LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!   :laugh:

or "I see NOTHING!! I hear NOTHING!!"  :cool:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »
Being that I have far more debt then money invested, I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole thing.

On one hand, it's bad that jobs are being lost and investments are becoming worth less.

On the other, the deflated value of fuel and housing is effectively equivalent to me getting a raise. 

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
I'm still holding to my personal theory that the Dow is going to find bottom somewhere between 6500 and 7500 and will circle for awhile before it finally starts to tick back up in late 2012.

Methinks that's more like it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
buy.. Buy.. BUY!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »

Not a chance.

2112 possibly, 2212 more likely.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
I know, mine is down 30-40%!!!
Just checked mine for fun.

30-40% down?

I'm up 4.11%  :lol:

Not much gains but it's better then being down.  When this crap blows over and the market finds a steady place I'll dump a good chuck from the stable value fund I'm contributing/moved to into some of the ones that should see returns to their current 30%+ losses and should see some good returns over the next few years as the market creeps up from the bottom.

I wish I had a few extra k laying around to invest into the market that I can actually make use of before I retire in about 40 years  :angel:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »
Just checked mine for fun.

30-40% down?

I'm up 4.11%  :lol:

Not much gains but it's better then being down.  When this crap blows over and the market finds a steady place I'll dump a good chuck from the stable value fund I'm contributing/moved to into some of the ones that should see returns to their current 30%+ losses and should see some good returns over the next few years as the market creeps up from the bottom.

I wish I had a few extra k laying around to invest into the market that I can actually make use of before I retire in about 40 years  :angel:

Actually, mine is down, but I exaggerated the number. Probably it's really between 5-10% down as I recall. However, the actual dollar amount that it is down is very tiny as it is not large to begin with.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »
30-40 wouldn't surprise me.

Looking at the YTD returns of all the funds I can choose from most range from the high 20%s to mid 30's for their losses, the international fund is even down 42 and change.

When things started getting bad I moved all the money in my plan and changed future contributions to a stable value fund comprised of safe stocks and the like.  Worked out very well for me thus far....not in great gains but in lack of great losses.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »
buy.. Buy.. BUY!!

Brad

Amen.  I'm up'ing my contributions.  If I was less than 10 years from retirement, I'd be weeping.   But since I'm 40+ years from retirement, buy baby buy. 

Since I work for them and they run my 401k, I get UTX at a bit of a discount.  Ooo, it looks like a pretty penny in a couple years.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
Dow ended the day UP 550+ points.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
See, all you have to do is ignore it.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 04:58:35 AM »
Dow drops to 6000.  Substantial recovery in 2009 before it really tanks to below 5000.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon