Author Topic: My shot back at an Obama backer  (Read 4047 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
My shot back at an Obama backer
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »
The letters to the editor section of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has been boiling since a couple of school boards decided not to air the president's broadcast to students. One letter writer in particular annoyed me:

"It is mystifying that the Elmbrook School District administration has capitulated to the fears of the ultra-right wing that the president might indoctrinate the students. How terrible to impress upon the youth to work hard, persist and succeed in their studies.

Of course, these forces also want to have creationism (a.k.a. intelligent design) injected into the science curriculum and to limit or censure discussion on human reproduction.

I hope that they leave the social studies curriculum alone, so that students will learn the full meaning of the First Amendment. The president has a right to speak and be heard. If some of the parents object to that, it is good that they pull their students out of school that day. If they attended, they might learn about tolerance and critical thinking."

I shot a response off to the Journal Sentinel, and was surprised they printed it:

"Letter writer Fran Luebke, in lamenting the decision of the Elmbrook School District to not broadcast President Barack Obama's speech to students, said the following about the president's critics:

"I hope that they leave the social studies curriculum alone, so that students will learn the full meaning of the First Amendment. The president has a right to speak and be heard. (Opinions, Sept. 7)."

The president, like all citizens, has a right under the First Amendment to speak. No part of the Constitution or Bill of Rights, however, sets forth a right to be heard should others not want to listen.

Perhaps liberals should avoid citing the Constitution in their arguments, as they've apparently never been really familiar with the document."

The letters to the editor section is about the only place in the Journal Sentinel that conservative voices get heard, so I'm grateful for small favors.

Waitone

• friend
Re: My shot back at an Obama backer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »
Great example of understatement.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:48:36 PM »
No part of the Constitution or Bill of Rights, however, sets forth a right to be heard should others not want to listen.

That's well said, Monkeyleg!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:42 AM »
The only thing the kids learned was the danger of the overuse of the first-person pronoun.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »
Perhaps liberals should avoid citing the Constitution in their arguments, as they've apparently never been really familiar with the document.

C-r-r-r-r-u-u-s-s-s-s-h-h-h-h-h-h !   :cool:

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »
The president, like all citizens, has a right under the First Amendment to speak. No part of the Constitution or Bill of Rights, however, sets forth a right to be heard should others not want to listen.

Perhaps liberals should avoid citing the Constitution in their arguments, as they've apparently never been really familiar with the document.

I believe the correct modern term for this is "pwned, pwnd, or pwn3d (my personal favorite)."  Choose your preference.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:34:39 AM »
pwned

Could someone explain that to an old individual, please?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

This thread is rapidly becoming noise with no signal. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
I think it was a good reply.

Another point:
Quote from: Fran Luebke
Of course, these forces also want to have creationism (a.k.a. intelligent design) injected into the science curriculum and to limit or censure discussion on human reproduction.

This is a nice little strawman, mixed with a bit of ad hominem.  You could have also made the point that the people who are worried about gov't indoctrination don't necessarily hold this position, and that the attempt to conflate the two is a cheap tactic to discredit them.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:16 AM »
This thread is rapidly becoming noise with no signal.

True. There's nothing profound in what I wrote. It was just fun getting a shot in, especially since the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is one of Obama's biggest cheerleaders. They only print the positive news about him.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »
True. There's nothing profound in what I wrote. It was just fun getting a shot in, especially since the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is one of Obama's biggest cheerleaders. They only print the positive news about him.

I have no problem with the thread start, its some of the silliness that came after. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »
I hpld that pwned came frpm hitting the wrpng key.  Sprt pf like teh teh dyslexia. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
Monkeyleg, did you get that envelope full of indecipherable hand-written opinions and photocopied editorial news clippings from that "one guy" yet?

Mine always showed up about three days after getting something published in the Journal-Sentinel, like clockwork.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
No, AJ. He stopped sending me stuff a couple of years ago.

Prior to that he'd been sending that stuff since the late 1980's or so. My wife was really nervous about it.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 03:29:53 AM »
Wait... what's this? You never mentioned getting love letters from fans, Dick!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »
Yes, please share.  But in another format, perhaps.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:40:05 AM by JamisJockey »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
There's someone in the Milwaukee area who desperately wants to share all of his "opinions" with others whenever they get a letter published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Presumably he uses public info to find out the home address of someone when they get their letter published, then sends them a letter stuffed with photocopies of his scribblings and other older editorials and letters fromt the newspapers. Presumably to save time and his writing hand. And there's usualy the bare minimum of fresh ink handwritten notes too that (he thinks) apply to what you wrote.

He (and I assume it's a "he") seems to have very strong opinions about any number of issues, although you're never quite sure what they are.  :laugh:

I've had a few letters published on CCW, and other issues in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel as well, and I got the same letters from this guy that Monkeyleg has.

It creeped out Mrs. Dual too. I just found it odd. My guess is some more elderly or perhaps somewhat mentally challenged man who wants desperately to debate/discuss issues at length with people, but has somehow never heard of the Internet.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 01:05:39 PM »
That guy is weird.

What was even weirder was that I got a phone call from the woman who wrote the letter to the editor in the original post. I didn't take her call, but she left a long rambling message, and wanted to debate me.

No thanks, lady. I don't teach pigs to sing.

With that, I'm going to move this topic.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
I'd LOVE to hear that message, is there any chance of getting it up for us as an .mp3?
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
Sorry, AJ. I deleted it from my voicemail. If you like, I can give you her name and you can call her to debate. ;)

She said something about the Journal Sentinel editing out parts of her letter (something they usually do), and that she has a college degree in history and political science. I don't care if she has a doctorate in constitutional law: if she says the president has a right to be heard, she doesn't know the Constitution.