Author Topic: meat grinder for deer  (Read 4048 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
meat grinder for deer
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:33:44 PM »
what brands?  looking to do a couple dozen deer  what hp is good? i always cheated before used work tools
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: meat grinder for deer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »

The front end of an F-150?  Seems to be the most common deer grinder in these parts.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »
probably shouldn't tell you how we peel a whole case(bushel) of garlic.  at least how we break the bulbs apart
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
probably shouldn't tell you how we peel a whole case(bushel) of garlic.  at least how we break the bulbs apart

You're probably right.  I like garlic too much.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
what brands?  looking to do a couple dozen deer  what hp is good? i always cheated before used work tools

Been poaching a lot lately...?  :police:

You probably wanna go 240V  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 05:11:55 PM »
The front end of an F-150?  Seems to be the most common deer grinder in these parts.

Light weight. I've tenderized 2 this year already with my 250 super duty.

My most effective grinder was a tractor trailer with a low deck land all type trailer ant 75mph. Dear goes in the front end comes out the back puree.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »

Virginia has very liberal deer hunting laws, especially on private land.  In some of the northern counties, you can hunt deer until late March (does only though).

Chris

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »

You probably wanna go 240V  =|

its not poaching here!  i just found out that you didn't even need a license on your own land and can check em in on the internet   its too easy!  i only keep about 1/4 of it  give away the rest to folks who need meat  plenty out there nowadays

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »
Virginia has very liberal deer hunting laws, especially on private land.  In some of the northern counties, you can hunt deer until late March (does only though).

Chris

i haven't done the research but a hunting nut i know said if you hunt all seasons and buy extra tags in theory you could kill close to 60 deer.  though i've seen 63 in one morning drive in wva coming down a draw at the bottom of a mountain and that was just 5 shooters.  it was all about production and a years meat for 6 big extended families.  thats where i learned how to really butcher

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
Speaking of dear. I'm overrun with them here at my house. They are making a mess and other problems.
Anyone have any good deer replant ideas for a yard.
I have neighbors so I can't just blast away, although I might start using 22 sub sonics to the head.
I need to check with the town to see if we have a no discharge ordinance, if we don't I might try some rubber buck shot like I used to use at my parents house on the bear.
Do dear have the memory power to associate pain with a certain place like the bear have and stay away? They seem dumber that the proverbial box of rocks to me.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »
How much money you got?

My friend has a 3/4 hp grinder and we put at least a dozen deer through it each year. Cabelas

If I was to buy one I'd probably get this one.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:10:08 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »
I have one of these and it works extremely well:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36989_36989

I haven't used it for deer, but it just takes a few minutes to grind up a whole beef brisket.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
I'd have to go look but I think I get 7 or 8 tags for being a MO landowner. Each tag after that is $7.00 for as many as you want all season.

I have a couple old hand crank models. I used to use them but about fifteen pounds was the most I wanted to do in a sitting. I was at one of my suppliers and saw a grinder kit for a Kitchenaid Mixer. I got it for my wife for Christmas that year. She has used it once but I have done a bunch of summer sausage 30 lbs at a time. I also have a big bandsaw with a grinder on the side. I've never used it.

If your trying to do it as fast as possible I would look at the big Cabelas or maybe a real commercial unit. If you are just going to work on it when you have time, I like the kitchenaid mixer attachment.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
I have the Kitchenaid mixer attachement too.  I only grind it as I need it.  I find it keeps better in the freezer if I don't grind it until then.  Works great for a couple pounds at a time.  I'm not so sure it would be a great idea though to do a dozen deer's worth of burger all at once though.  A dedicated grinder would be much better and faster for a job like that.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
one thing with the kitchen aid. it's really handy for pizza dough and bread. =D cakes and cookies to of course. :angel: they even sell a can opener for the thing. [tinfoil]

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
We picked up a used Hobart (I think) professional model at an auction years ago.  Running forty pounds through twice takes about 20 minutes.  Cleanup takes another 20 minutes.