Author Topic: Potlatch Idaho message to gun manufacturers,... welcome!  (Read 4041 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Potlatch Idaho message to gun manufacturers,... welcome!
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/11/firearm-friendly-town-in-idaho-lure-gun-makers/

She and other officials envision an industrial park on the site of the old mill. Artist drawings show the manufacturing plants surrounded by stores and restaurants catering to gun enthusiasts

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/11/firearm-friendly-town-in-idaho-lure-gun-makers/#ixzz1xWDG8kL4
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Potlatch Idaho message to gun manufacturers,... welcome!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
We were just there last week. Really nice place. We were in Arco, ID as well, where Cheytac is based. Idaho is incredibly gun (and just plain)  friendly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »
We were just there last week. Really nice place. We were in Arco, ID as well, where Cheytac is based. Idaho is incredibly gun (and just plain)  friendly.

And seriously lacking in ocean front property....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
Honestly, in light of recent political events, I think WI might stand a chance at picking up some MFG's from Illinois, as the state to the south continues on it's toilet-spiral of CA-style fiscal policy, and anti-gun Chicago constantly throwing it's weight around in the legislature.

I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
Infrastructure?  Power availability?  Water availability?  How's Idaho on dippy-sh tty Evironmental Impact Statements and the like if you want to open a hot dog stand?  Are plans ready to build new schools as needed?

There's going to be a lot of bootstrapping needed and I wonder how the cities are preparing for it.  Do they have the legislature on line for needed implemetation laws or revocation of "red tape" laws?

It will all be interesting.  Firearms-friendly is one thing, logistics is another.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:39:26 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Infrastructure?  Power availability?  Water availability?  How's Idaho on dippy-sh tty Evironmental Impact Statements and the like if you want to open a hot dog stand?  Are plans ready to build new schools as needed?

There's going to be a lot of bootstrapping needed and I wonder how the cities are preparing for it.  Do they have the legislature on line for needed implemetation laws or revocation of "red tape" laws?

It will all be interesting.  Firearms-friendly is one thing, logistics is another.

Terry, 230RN

That's my EXACTLY my thoughts about why WI might be in a sweet spot to poach firearms manufacturers from IL. And the additional bonus, besides being a free(r) state with no gun laws more restrictive than the Federal ones, is that key people and skill employed in IL may be willing to relocate to WI because IL friends and family are still only a day-trip away assuming they're located in the bottom third of WI and near an interstate.

The management of these companies might also appreciate being able to CCW.
I promise not to duck.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
That's my EXACTLY my thoughts about why WI might be in a sweet spot to poach firearms manufacturers from IL. And the additional bonus, besides being a free(r) state with no gun laws more restrictive than the Federal ones, is that key people and skill employed in IL may be willing to relocate to WI because IL friends and family are still only a day-trip away assuming they're located in the bottom third of WI and near an interstate.

The management of these companies might also appreciate being able to CCW.
Same could be said of Indiana & Missouri.

There was a big fight recently between Canadian unions and Caterpillar's contract offer. So Cat moved its locomotive plant from Canada to Indiana. Other manufacturing lines have been moving out of Illinois... (Peoria) engines to Texas, (Aurora) excavators to Texas, (Decatur) motor graders to Arkansas.

This is all being done quietly and without fanfare, but to anyone who is paying attention it is trumpet sounding obvious what is going on. Its sad that a state can be so bad that it is better to pick up and move an entire production line to another state. And then the state doubles down on stupid by raising taxes, not fixing the budget, and refusing to even consider reform. And for all the taxes, our school system sucks and our roads are terrible. Can't even get the fundamentals right.

I'm hoping that I get transferred to Indiana or one of the Carolinas in a few years.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
I had always wondered why so many gun manufacturers are located in states that are pretty much unfriendly to guns.  I guess that is partly why some like Springfield make so much stuff overseas. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
I think Idaho is too far removed from suppliers, which would increase transportation costs incredibly.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
I think Idaho is too far removed from suppliers, which would increase transportation costs incredibly.

Maybe the Eastern side, by Montana and Wyoming. Potlatch is on the WA border, near Spokane. CCI is based out of Lewiston, ID, maybe 100 miles South of Potlatch. I just learned Lewiston is the nations furthest inland seaport. Don't know how active it is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:41:41 AM »

Says the guy with the mail order business ...  ;/

Guns are fairly high dollar per pound items.  I don't see that shipping, either materials or product, would be that great of a problem.  We have paved highways and railroads out west now  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »
Of all the places we went in Idaho, the area around Potlatch was my favorite. Small town like I grew up in, the east side of the valley is nestled against the base of mountains, it's really pretty. I'm a bit ambiguous though about ANY industry moving to an area where I want to settle. I've already had one occasion where I bought a little place in a rural area and within five years, it was so built up it was almost unrecognizable. That really isn't part of my plan for "moving to the country." I know the locals would likely appreciate the boosted economy, but I want peace and quiet.
While purchasing a drink at the one convenience store in Potlatch, a local was standing next to me grumbling about having to go "to the city." The city being Moscow, population just shy of 24,000. I teased him that at least he didn't have to go to Spokane or Boise and he grumbled some more.

I'd rather gun industry business than several other industries I can think of, but I'd really rather it remain exactly as it is.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
Says the guy with the mail order business ... 

Yep. And the cost of shipping is a big portion of my overall cost of goods.