Author Topic: Multitool Recommendations?  (Read 4039 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Multitool Recommendations?
« on: September 30, 2013, 01:17:26 AM »
I've been really enjoying my Leatherman Skeletool.  Blade is sufficient for most tasks, pliers and screwdriver get used plenty and the bottle opener carabiner clip served two purposes for me:  opening bottles, and as a place to clip my motorcycle keys when not in the ignition.  Yay, skeletool. 

Up until I go to Tucson Beer Festival.

$50 for early admission ticket so I can get in an hour before the teeming unwashed masses.  I stay at a hotel down there that offers a shuttle service to the event.  I obviously realize pistols are a no-no at the event and leave my pistol at the hotel.  I am encumbered with a flashlight, my motorcycle keys, and my skeletool.

Security flips out at the effing skeletool.

Srsly.  How many bars check people for a gorram pocket knife?  There's no fine print for the event saying pocket knives are a no-no, I just show up and all of a sudden I'm not allowed in.

Returning to the hotel room means I have to wait 15 minutes for the bus to return, then ride the bus back to the hotel (5 minutes maybe), run up to my room and drop off the knife, go back down to the lobby and probably wait another 15 minutes for the next bus and hope it isn't full with regular admission folks who are also staying at the hotel.

So, I take a risk and decide to stash the knife out in the parking lot of the venue, clipping it high in the branches of a palo verde tree out of sight.

5 hours later, I come back out to the same tree and the knife is gone.  I got 3 good years of service out of it, but I'm miffed.

Anyways, is there anything out there better than the skeletool?  I'm looking for EDC multitool, something that doesn't take up ginormous pocket space.  I really liked the quick access carabiner clip on it for my keys.  That was sweet.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Multitool Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
ow, too bad about your tool.  someone must have seen you stash it.  i'm still a fan of the original leatherman, and i wish they would make one the same size with an external knife.  the wave is a little big for pocket carry, but if you carry on your belt it has all the fixin's.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
I had a wave for a while.  Good tool.

I love my skeletool!  I don't EDC two tools and having the knife for 99% of the time I use it but the basic leatherman tools for the rest is a great option.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
Anyways, is there anything out there better than the skeletool? 

No.  Next question?

I like my skeletool, if you can't tell.   =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
No.  Next question?

I like my skeletool, if you can't tell.   =D

:rofl:

I'm with the rev, though.  Luv my skeletool.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
I carry a wingman every day clipped to the inside of my left pocket.  No complaints and the price was right.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
I carry  Victorinox Swiss Tool at work, and for that environment nothing is better. It has heavier and wider point jaws than any other tool I've used so they're much better at heavy gripping, by far the best phillips screwdriver I've seen, usable scissors/file/saw/knife, and multiple sizes of flathead screw bits including one sized just right for terminal strips.

However, that's working as an operating engineer where it can ride in a belt sheath and the weight and bulk don't bother me. For EDC I might go with something smaller and lighter.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
Not a Gerber.

Personally I favor a Leatherman Supertool right now.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
New Skeletool CX on the way.  Doesn't sound like anything moar awesome has come out since.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
I noticed some hatin' on the Gerbers the last time this subject came up, and I honestly don't understand it.  I've been issued two multi-tools, the "sapper" model and the standard model, the latter of which came with the Otis cleaning kit.  I still have the standard one, and it has been perfectly fine for common tasks such as opening boxes, light wrenching/screwdriving, opening cans and bottles, and making a nifty "shnick" noise when I open it.

I would recommend one, but I haven't overhauled an M1114 with one or anything.  I also have a Wenger Backpacker which is smaller and has a better can opener, FWIW.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »
Where are your Gerberss made? The chinese el cheapo gerbers that make up the majority of Gerber's product line of both knives and multitools tend to be utter *expletive deleted*it.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
I also have a Gerber multitool, the kind where the pliers telescope out of the handles with a flick of the wrist.  I freakin' love them.  I've cut an M14 magazine spring with the pliers/wirecutter and they're still awesome.  Far sturdier than my skeletool ever was (not taking anything away from the skeletool, it's just a tool intended for smaller jobs).
--Lysander Spooner

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »
My favorite is the old Kershaw A100. this is a long tool, with  visegrips and a one hand knife blade. Probably make an excellent kubotan.  with vise grips, you can hold a scalpel blade, a chunk of hacksaw blade, clamp on a gearshift shaft or clutch lever stub, maybe even clamp an artery.
 They come up used, I don't think Kershaw makes them anymore.

A pair of visegrips saved me from a very long walk out of the woods when my gearshift lever came off the bike.
 Never forgot that.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:38 AM »
I think you mentioned that when I was up in Seattle, too.

I'll have to add something like that to my road bag.  Thanks!
--Lysander Spooner

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 12:48:04 AM »
this is a long tool, with  visegrips and a one hand knife blade

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:02 AM »
I do not understand how one survives without Vise grips. They are duct tape and WD-40 combined. Made of steel. And on steroids. They will hold it in place if it moves but it shouldn't. Or make it move if it's supposed to move but doesn't.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:53:30 AM by Boomhauer »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
I also have a Gerber multitool, the kind where the pliers telescope out of the handles with a flick of the wrist.  I freakin' love them.  I've cut an M14 magazine spring with the pliers/wirecutter and they're still awesome.  Far sturdier than my skeletool ever was (not taking anything away from the skeletool, it's just a tool intended for smaller jobs).

I have one of those as well, which I like. However, I tend to keep it in my outdoors bag. Skeletool is handy to snap onto a belt loop or external surface of a work bag or whatnot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »

No, not mooltipass.  Multitool!
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
And, I am made whole again.  Gotta love Amazon Prime.  Click "buy" yesterday and I get it today.
--Lysander Spooner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
And, I am made whole again.  Gotta love Amazon Prime.  Click "buy" yesterday and I get it today.

Pics, or it didn't happen.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:45 AM »
Does Leatherman make a multitool with locking blades?  The ones I have seen did not have that.  I find that is a useful safety feature. 

I am looking for a small pocket multitool with a strong plier that wont either bend the pliers or bend the handles.  I had a little Gerber, but it got bent.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
Yes some of the leatherman tools have locking tools, like my Supertool.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
Does Leatherman make a multitool with locking blades?  The ones I have seen did not have that.  I find that is a useful safety feature. 

I am looking for a small pocket multitool with a strong plier that wont either bend the pliers or bend the handles.  I had a little Gerber, but it got bent.

Most of them lock now.  My Skeltool knife locks.
JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
The various blades on my Leatherman Wingman lock.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.