Author Topic: bifocals for shooting?  (Read 1264 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
bifocals for shooting?
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
i just went to the eye doctor this week to have my eyes checked for the first time in over 30 years.  things have been getting fuzzy in the distance, as well as my arms have seemed a little short at times for reading.  neither have been to the point where i feel glasses are needed, but a target at 100 yards is just a white blur.  while getting the exam i can see how much improved short and long range vision can be, so i decided to order bifocals for my daily glasses.  unfortunatly my insurance only covers one pair every two years, and does not pay for safety/shooting wear.  i would like to get a second set for shooting and am curious if bifocals have an advantage on the range, or if i should just get the single script for distant vision?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: bifocals for shooting?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »
Or, you could check here http://www.zennioptical.com/

I got a set of progressive lens prescription sunglasses that I'm happy with for about $50.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
even though I was warned - I sat on my glasses 2 weeks ago :'(
Some one here warned me last year or so when I first got my glasses to put them in a case when not wearing them but "I was only changing clothes"  and didn't have a case with me. :'(

I have found that prescription glasses stink for shooting, - for getting a bead on the front sight reading glasses are OK but the target is a blur-if you can see it.

has anyone tried lasik that is a shooter?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

I have found that prescription glasses stink for shooting, - for getting a bead on the front sight reading glasses are OK but the target is a blur-if you can see it.

It would appear that Zenni would suggest how one might alter their prescription for other uses.  A phone call might get the info needed to optimize for shooting.

Quote from: Zenni Website
Multi-focal prescriptions may be modified for single vision use, or even a different multi-focal use, by working with the Sph and Add numbers. If there is a correction for astigmatism in one eye, or both eyes, those designations will not change, regardless of the depth of the focal field.

Single vision distance only –Enter values for Sph, Cyl and Axis for both eyes, but leave off the Add number. Use the distance PD value.

Single vision reading glasses – Combine the Add and Sph numbers for each eye. The result creates the new Sph values for each eye.  In the case of a Positive Add and a negative Sph, net the difference, and the new number becomes the Sph. If your Sph is already positive, you simply combine the positive Sph and the Add number, using it for the new Sph. The Add data entry field will be blank, by virtue of it having been combined with the Sph number.  Enter Cyl and Axis values for both eyes- these values are not changed in any way. For single vision reading only, narrow the distance vision PD by 3mm and enter that as the single-vision reading PD value.

Single vision computer glasses – Split the Add number in half, and combine that split number with the Sph. Discard the remaining Add, and leave the Add data entry field blank. Enter the Cyl and Axis values for both eyes. These values are not changed in any way. Use the distance PD.

Multi-focal Computer/Desktop glasses – To create this modification, split the Add number in half (if there is no equal division of the Add number, you’ll need to decide if you want your focus closer or further, and the quarter diopter difference will shift the depth of the focal plane, accordingly) and combine half of the Add with the Sph. The balance of the Add will stay in that data entry field. Note: We do not create a multi-focal lens with an Add of less than +1.00. Use your distance PD, unless your monitor is extremely close (less than 18”), in which case, you may wish to narrow the PD by a millimeter or two. Finally, enter the Cyl and Axis values for both eyes. These values are not changed in any way.

Prism Corrections - Prism is the prismatic power used to correct vision displacement, like double vision.  Most eyeglass prescriptions do not have prism correction.  Prism is measure in prism diopters, or p.d., not to be confused with PD for Pupillary Distance.  A prescription with prism prescription will have two values per eye.  The Prism Value are the prism diopters, and the Base Direction.  Base Direction is usually written as BU for Base Up, BD for Base Down, BI for Base In, and BO for Base Out.  If you do not have prism correction in your prescription, do not include prism values since it will negatively affect your vision.

Glasses Without Correction in the Lens - It is quite possible to order eyeglasses with no prescription in the lens. You simply choose "Non Prescription" in the "Type of Glasses" box and then add any coatings or tints.

NOTE: If you have questions about any of these modifications, you’re welcome to call the office (1.800.211.2105) during regular business hours (See Contact Us for business hours) and we will be happy to help with your questions.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »
Or, you could check here http://www.zennioptical.com/

I got a set of progressive lens prescription sunglasses that I'm happy with for about $50.

they have some great prices.  i have a high bridge and i would like to find some traditional safety frames. i'm trying to figure how the fitting sizes work.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
I know that some highpower types who need glasses will find a pair of reading glasses that allow them to see the front sight clearly.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »
they have some great prices.  i have a high bridge and i would like to find some traditional safety frames. i'm trying to figure how the fitting sizes work.

For myself, I have a bit of a large head.  Frames that are too small make me look like one of those papier-mâché characters.  I measured how wide my old frames were and went from there.  I'm thinking with a high bridge you would want to stay away from fixed nose pieces.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
For me, personally, I never had good luck with my glasses when it came to shooting. Find I do MUCH better with contacts.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
For me, personally, I never had good luck with my glasses when it came to shooting. Find I do MUCH better with contacts.

how are they different?    are you using irons, or a scope?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Both actually. Dunno why, just know I see things like sights or through scopes much better than I did with my glasses. Peripheral vision is also nice.

Course I'm very near sighted and, without correction, damn near blind. So YMMV.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
I found mono vision contacts work extremely well for shooting. I had him write the script for the reading lense in my dominate eye. Both the pistol frt site and the target were clear.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
I know that some highpower types who need glasses will find a pair of reading glasses that allow them to see the front sight clearly.

Rear sight too.  Don't do much good to put the front sight on target if it's not in the notch.

I can shoot better with my computer glasses than my distance glasses, but of course if I'm outside then I will have the distance glasses.

I tried different lenses in the same frames (left distance/ right closeup) once but I couldn't get used to it.

I dunno about all the front sight business but I find that if I concentrate on the target then the sights generally just line up.  Works for both rifle and handgun.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
I tried reading glasses, but when I could see the front sight clearly I could not see the target at all.

I tried bifocals but the need to tilt my head up in order to see the front sight gave me whiplssh.

I tried having the magnification part of the lens put at the top.  I got massive headaches trying to bounce between the front sight and the rest of the picture.

I tried using the stick-on reading magnifiers just on my dominant eye and found out that even though my left eye was open I was ignoring any signal coming from there.

I tried progressive lenses.  Still "sweet spot" problems between the front sight and the target.

Since I am interested in carry/shooting for self defense more than any other shooting acitvity, I got edumacated on body index shooting/point shooting and practice out to 20 yards every day.  (Thank goodness for lasers and the reflective qualities of crinkled aluminum foil. =) )  Being as good as 75% of the IDPA/IPSIC shooters is good enough for me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
dang, i was hoping glasses were going to fix my longer range open sight accuracy issues. =(

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »
i would like to get a second set for shooting and am curious if bifocals have an advantage on the range, or if i should just get the single script for distant vision?

They won't help you if you wish to see the front sight clearly.

I've found that a pair of drug store readers in the 2.00 to 2.25 diopter range helps my shooting a lot -- I can focus on the front sight, and still make out the target. But ... I don't wear any glasses when I'm "out and about." so for the most part I continue to practice without them. Like Skid, I'm not in danger of winning any bullseye championships, I carry for self defense. If I can keep all my shots well within center of mass at 25 feet (or even out to 50 feet), that's good enough to get the job done.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:48:11 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
dang, i was hoping glasses were going to fix my longer range open sight accuracy issues. =(

I double-dog date you to get the dominant eye foitted to be able to see the front sight and the off eye fitted to see the target .  And to take video of you sighting in using that system.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »

You can try a frame with adjustable nosepads.  Since they are moveable, it is easier to have them adjusted so they rest comfortably.  You can try getting away with a keyhole bridge or saddle bridge, but then you are more limited to fit.  A higher bridge, you might be comfortable with something in the 15-18mm range depending how wide your bridge is as well.

Temples on average for most people run around 140mm, and if there are covers on them, size is a little more important if they need to be bended to fit around your ears better.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
I buy all my glasses from Zenni.  Bought one expensive pair from an optometrist about 10 years ago and he screwed up the prescription -- they were my first bifocals, so i thought it was just me.  I write my own prescriptions for 'em now too (can't do that for contact lenses, but I don't wear contacts)

I need to order a pair considerably weaker than my real correction to use just for shooting.  So the front sight will be in soft focus and the rear sight and target will not be *totally* fuzzy.  Full strength lenses put the target in focus, the front sight is a blur, and I can't see the rear sight at all.  With no correction, the sights are OK but I can't see the target if the light is dim (and it's always dim)
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
Single vision glasses from Zenni are so cheap that you can experiment by ordering multiple pairs in 0.25 or 0.50 increments.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin