Author Topic: Rate of Child Abuse Unchanged by Massive Governmental Intervention  (Read 2604 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://pjmedia.com/blog/how-p-c-redefines-and-distorts-the-definition-of-child-abuse/?singlepage=true

To avoid definitional problems, the authors of the paper compared rates of violent death and non-accidental injury of children over time in several different countries or provinces: Sweden, 20 states of the U.S., England, Western Australia, New Zealand, and Manitoba, Canada. They took these measures because they reasoned that they were comparatively trustworthy and unsusceptible to diagnostic fashion.

They found that in most countries neither the death rate nor the rate of non-accidental injury had fallen; only the death rate in Sweden and Manitoba had fallen, but not the rates of non-accidental injury.

The authors came to the conclusion that the agencies to protect children had made little difference either to the relative or absolute levels of maltreatment.
They came to this conclusion because the rate and type of intervention made by the agencies varied widely between the countries, yet the pattern of an unchanging level of violence was the same in each. It is startling that in some jurisdictions as many as a quarter of children will at some time be the object of the agencies’ attention.

This is also interesting:
Moreover, the definition of the problem changes over time – usually in the direction of expansion. Child abuse started out as fractured legs and broken skulls, and has ended up as assaults on self-esteem.

Do read the whole article. 

What do I think?  Kids with abusive parents are humped.  Period.

What are their options:
1. Stay with the abusive parent.
2. Rip them away from biological abusive parents, where there is some biological imperative on the care-giver's part, and place them with gov't bureaucritters or non-related adults (who have no biological drive to preserve their non-existent DNA in the child).

Pardon me if I don't think either option is really worth a dang.

I am of the opinion that gov't child welfare agencies exist for the benefit of the general population, not the children.  Specifically, they stroke the need for folks to think that gov't (or anyone) is DOING SOMETHING so they can feel better about the whole situation. 

Because, DOING SOMETHING has got to make the situation better, right?

And when spectacular failures erupt, the fact of the failure exposes the lie that these bureaucracies are effectively addressing the problem...and folks who have their mellow harshed (Hey, the kids are alright, and being taken care of by CPS.) by ugly reality (No, some kids are just plain screwed from the get-go and gov't ain't gonna make it right.) get all sorts of cranky.  At the ineffective bureaucritters they hoped would make the problem go away.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Rate of Child Abuse Unchanged by Massive Governmental Intervention
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
They found that in most countries neither the death rate nor the rate of non-accidental injury had fallen; only the death rate in Sweden and Manitoba had fallen, but not the rates of non-accidental injury.

What did Manitoba and Sweden do that other places didn't?

2. Rip them away from biological abusive parents, where there is some biological imperative on the care-giver's part, and place them with gov't bureaucritters or non-related adults (who have no biological drive to preserve their non-existent DNA in the child).

"No biological imperative" does not translate to "no desire to support the child". Humans are not motivated solely by biology.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
"No biological imperative" does not translate to "no desire to support the child". Humans are not motivated solely by biology.

Except government agencies can be as vicious to children as any other type of abuser.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »
Except government agencies can be as vicious to children as any other type of abuser.
Before any governmental agency can screw it up, they need to be notified first.
It's not like young children know who to call, or where to go.
Like DV, these atrocities are kept quietly under wraps by the offenders.
Fear and isolation are the main factors.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
What did Manitoba and Sweden do that other places didn't?

Arrange to be populated mostly by Swedes and the descendants of Swedes?

No doubt.

This, however, makes it a crapshoot where the stakes are the life of a child.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »
Arrange to be populated mostly by Swedes and the descendants of Swedes?

Not relevant here. They were also populated by Swedes before these measures were implemented, and the percentage of Swedes is probably slightly lower in Swedn now than it had been before.

No doubt.

A parent who violently abuses a child is far worse than a foster parent - even if the foster parent. You do not need to be loving and caring to be better than an abusive jackwagon, all you need is not to be an abusive jackwagon.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:57:38 AM »
I had siblings taken by child protective services when I was 12, I guess they thought the beatings were OK for older kids but not younger ones, the "home" they sent my 3yr old little brother to made him take cold showers and drink tobasco sauce because he mimicked the other kids using the F word.  :'(

After realizing what could happen by leaving marks my dad decided to imitate the Viet Cong, he had read a news paper article on how pow's were forced to kneel on rice and hold rifles up in the air at shoulder high, while the bottom of their feet were whipped with a belt.  They did this so when inspections happened their were no
physical marks.
So dad thought that would be a swell idea

The state was no help, dad was working in local law enforcement and pals with all the local judges-so of course they were of no help, plus he was well known and respected by the community for all kinds of life saving ( he founded a well known volunteer ambulance corp ) He treated everyone but his own kids/wife like gold.

I do not think Governmental Intervention will help abused kids, I think when you find out about it you break the abusers arms & if they call the cops you can have a legal exemption ( the, he was asking for it clause )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »
So dad thought that would be a swell idea
Sorry to hear this - I really am.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
I may be the only one here with experience on both sides of the fence.

Victims need to be identified at least three different times, by three different sets of standards.  First someone needs to see "evidence" of what meets their personal definition of abuse/neglect.  Second the government agent needs to see "evidence" that meets the "official government agency" definition of abuse/neglect.  And often but not always, third the court system needs to see "evidence" that meets either the civil or criminal definition of abuse/neglect.

While most kids do not know what abuse or neglect is, they are aware they are being treated badly, and usually that is is being done unfairly.  But as has been said, most of them do not know they can complain, or how to complain safely so that the mistreatment stops as opposed to getting worse.  A lot of them buy in to the notion that they deserve the mistreatment, and others are more afraid of what might happen if they were taken out of the situation than they are of receiving more mistreatment.

Caregivers can either voluntarily (the preferred method) agree to intervention services or be court-ordered to receive services.  Depending on the interplay of so many factors that I will not kill the number of electrons necessary to just list them all the intervention services can range from what gunsmith experienced to not only termination of all residual parental rights but ongoing psychological and social work services after those rights are terminated.  But the effectiveness all depends on the professional skill and dedication of the provider, the willingness of the parent(s) to accept and use the services, and the effectiveness of monitoring the case.  Lots of folks will agree to accept services so as to avoid court intervention.  The rules make it difficult to then bring court intervention - thank you Congress for writing that into the bill you wtote for federal funding of CPS!  The sad truth is that most of the time both sides are working harder at finding ways to avoid additional reports being made than they are looking for ways to remedy the causes of mistreatment.  Unless there is community interest in "protecting" the child (or persecuting the caregiver - that does happen and can be highly effective) it all falls on the shoulder of a caseworker who may have book knowledge of child development but little to nothing in schooling or experience in dealing with violence and its causes, and who must conform to their agenvy's notions of just how hard to push and how much time (which is money) to expend, as well as how hard the legal system will allow itself to be pressed.

The most effective treatment, which is prevention, is the hardest to get anybody interested in.  Among all the other factors, it requires each participant to agree that they personally have a problem and that the problem does currently result in mistreatment of a child - not necessarily that they are physically abusing or neglecting medical care, but that they are doing something that causes/allows children to be mistreated.

On the other hand, moving the bar from broken bones and kids dying because parent did not take a case ofwhooping cough to the ER to "self esteem" at least lets society say it is getting softer and gentler.  Unfortunately, as the stufy points out, it's not so much the actual numbers but the rate of mistreatment that has remained fairly constant.  Why that is considered "newsworthy" is beyond my ken.  That has been so since somewhere in the 1950s when golks started keeping track of the rate of mistreatment.  What someone needs to do is figure out why.  And then figure out how to make government intervention in that issue work better than the War on Poverty or the War on Drugs.  To be honest, I'm more afraid of what "meaningful" government intervention wll do than of leaving the status quo alone.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.