Main Forums > The Roundtable

'Messenger service' virus on my computer

(1/2) > >>

SpookyPistolero:
Any computer-savy folks know if there is a particular virus or program that causes tons of pop-ups on the computer to come up just labeled 'Messenger Service'?

It made to look like a standard microsoft pop-up but isn't at all. Threatening system failure if you don't go to 'www.regfixit.com', critical errors, etc.

I have run a couple of free spyware programs and they never found the source, apparently, because I still get these things. If I never shut down my computer (just let it hibernate when i'm not using it) then they will eventually go away if I keep deleting them, but they are persistent. If it ever gets shut down completely after this point, they come right back.

Any simple (hopefully free?) solutions around?

Sindawe:
http://elamb.blogharbor.com/hacked/messagefromsystemalert.htm

The above could be the culprit.  Unless you're in a network that needs to use the messenger service (as in scripts that use netsend to alert admins to problems), turn off the messenger service and block it at the firewall.

You usually need to run several anti spyware packages to keep a system clean.  My suite currently inclused AdAware, Spybot (both free versions) and paid copies of SpySweeper and XoftSpy.

Fatcat:
Start -> Run -> "services.msc"

Scroll down the list that appears til you find one named Messenger.. double click on it.

In the box that appears there will be a selection called Startup type.. use the pulldown list to change it to disabled. Hit ok, maybe restart, and you shouldn't have the problem anymore.

You might wanna hit windows update too.

SpookyPistolero:
Totally Rad, thanks a lot. Sucks being a computer 'tard. I turned off the messenger as per the instructions. So does that cure the symptom of the popup and leave the 'online log reader' or is it dead all together?

Guest:
Related:

When XPPro first came out, I was given the following to remove and negate problems with the pesky Messenger.
This worked for me and others.  I admit, I am not - have not studied this area so if someone will take a look , advise and let me know if this is still appplicable I would appreciate it.  I still pass this onto to folks and need to know.

---

--- Quote ---Who wants a super easy way to remove MSN Messanger from XP?
I just upgraded to XP Pro on my laptop and I could not remove the annoying MSN Messanger program since it is run through so many other programs (i.e. the dreaded "Sharing Violation"). Here is a super easy way to disable and remove this very annoying and intrusive program for good from XP.

Simply cut the command line below and paste it into your run dialog box and it will be gone. I have used this repeatedly and it works everytime. I tried other solutions to no avail. So here it is:

------------- CUT BELOW ---------------

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

-------------STOP CUT ----------------

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version