Main Forums > The Roundtable

Motorcycles - Sound Systems

(1/4) > >>

Werewolf:
After 30 years of riding I've finally decided I want to hear more than the sound of the wind and the deep throaty rumble of the engine. I want to listen to music.

I figured an MP3 player would work. NOT! Even under helmet, with face shield down the background noise level  at anything over about 40 mph is too high and the music is there but not really enjoyable.

Is there a solution to this problem?

If so - please share.

Gewehr98:
My Shovelhead Harley has straight pipes, so I gave up a long time ago on listening to any music or radio while riding.

However, USAF aircrews, including myself, have recently been issued the Bose noise-cancelling headsets.  While I despise Bose speakers and Wave Radios, the Bose noise-cancelling headsets actually are good on performance, and that's from the perspective of having 4 or 8 Pratt & Whitney TF-33 turbofans on a jet screaming into your ears.  

Perhaps they make a model that works on in-helmet motorcycle radios, that also allow ambient sound like sirens, horns, and so forth to pass through the microphone/phase shifter/headphones?  (The headsets cancel noise by sampling and introducing ambient noise 180-degrees out of phase, causing destructive interference, ie. quiet)

Bose sells something similar for folks flying on airlines, so you can listen to MP3 or CD music while shutting out the ambient aircraft noise.

Guest:
I have seen some custome fitted headphones that are form fitted to one's ear. They are essentially an earplug combined with a headphone speaker. The only examples I have seen were done by a vender (cant remember the name) at bikes shows. That seemed like a neat idea. You might also consider a better set of noise-canceling earbuds, or one of those systems designed specifically for placement in motorcycle helmets (chatterbox for example). I know its do-able, as half the sport-touring community uses some kind of in-helmet music or communication system.

zahc:
In ear headphones should do the trick, but will attenuate desireable sounds. I would give up on it myself. I rarely listen to music in my truck and I have a sound system worth several thousand dollars. But I'm a total audio snob.

Skeptic:
Werewolf,
I have an Electra Glide Classic (2003) and the music system is built in.  I have no problem hearing music even with a full face helmet on during winter.  Get to  your local  HD dealer and see what they can do for you.......
Enjoy the ride and be safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version