Main Forums > The Roundtable

I HATE pit-bulls!

(1/13) > >>

telewinz:
My sister's daughter moved in with my sister a few weeks ago and with her came a pit-bull.  I have always had doubts about pit-bulls...are they suitable pets?  I have enjoyed all kinds of dogs my entire life so I went to my sister's house for Christmas and spent a great deal of time petting "her" pit bull.  The dog certainly was friendly enough but the muscular body and large head still made me a little cautious.  Tonight at home on the 6'Oclock news there is a story where a pit-bull attacked a young boy who was sled riding (his own property).  The boy's grandfather fought the unknown dog off his son (appeared to be dead) and when the dog sought to attack both of them AGAIN, a neighbor shot and killed the pit-bull.  I'm not much of a fan of regulating people but when a strange, hostile dog attacks for no apparent reason, well....maybe pit-bulls should be banned.  I'll be emailing this news story to my sister and lend her a gun and ammo.

telewinz:

--- Quote from: Blackburn ---I'm not much of a fan of regulating people, but when high capacity assault weapons are so tempting to criminals, well.... maybe they should be banned.

http://www.wikd.org/pitbull/pitflash.swfPit-bulls and people kill people...assault weapons have NEVER been proven to have attacked without EXTREME provocation!

telewinz:
Dog Attacks Child
This is a Christmas one Hancock County family won't soon forget. The Elo's, who live outside of Weirton off Lyons Road, say they grateful their family survived a dog attack. Patricia Elo cannot get the images out of her head, Saturday afternoon, while her grandson was sled-riding a dog attacked. That is when officers say a pit bull came out of no where and attacked Nathanial, Patricia and Dave's 8 year old grandson. Dave Elo says he fought to free his grandson, "He had him by the neck when I went out and just kept clamping and wouldn't let go. I was beating him on the head, screaming." Dave managed to free his grandson and says he carried the limp child inside, "I thought my grandson was dead he wasn't moving, he wasn't breathing at the time, I was just petrified." Patricia says emergency crews rushed both grandson and grandfather, who was having chess pains, to the hospital, "I was going from one area of the hospital to the other checking on both of them." Both the little boy and grandfather are doing okay. As for what happened to the dog the Elo's say after they got the dog off the boy, the dog tried to attack again and that's when a neighbor shot and killed it.

Brad Johnson:
Pits bulls are, by nature, very smart, loyal, and territorial animals. Their intelligence makes them highly trainable and they can be easily socialized. Unfortunately, it also allows the dogs to "learn" self-serving aggressive behaviors that are very influenced by poor human v animal interaction. Left unchecked, this can easily transform into the situations you see on the news every night. Their loyalty and territoriality also make them very protective of either their chosen human companion or their 'turf'. Those that have learned (or been taught) poor social skills are very apt to be aggresive in the extreme when in protection mode.

They can make good pets IF they are highly trained and kept socialized. However, there are dogs much more naturally suited for interaction with children.

Brad

telewinz:
No matter how many attacks, maulings, limb amputations and/or deaths there are attributed to Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes, there will always the "Pits are great dogs" camp that swear Pits are no more likely to attack a person than a Dachshund.  Pit bulls have been bred for tenacity, powerful jaws and tolerance for pain. No training or loving care will ever change the fact that once a pit bull attacks, results are usually catastrophic.

The owner of a pit bull has authorized its euthanization after the dog attacked two people on Allens Creek Road Monday morning.  The pit bulls owner later went to the animal shelter and signed over the dog to be destroyed after it is held in quarantine for the required 10 days

Three year old Champagne Jackson is in Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth after she was attacked by a pit bull Tuesday night. The dog ripped the muscle on her left arm and broke it in three places.

A San Jose woman was recovering from bites to her hands and arms after her 8-month-old pit bull mix attacked her in her home Sunday, police said.

No one is quite sure why the pit bull -- who witnesses say often roams the neighborhood -- snapped and attacked five people, including children.

Oakland police said the woman was out walking her Chihuahua near the intersection of Daisy Street and Fair Avenue at 1:30 p.m. when the pit bull charged at her dog. After biting her dog, the pit bull attacked the woman, who fell to the ground.

An Auburn Street woman is being fined after her unmuzzled pit bull attacked police Officer Lawrence R. Newman, who was patrolling the Acre neighborhood by mountain bike, the animal control officer said.

The woman was walking on Ruby Circle, near Stonegate and Riverstone drives, when the pit bull attacked and knocked her to the ground about 6:30 a.m., according to city officials. A witness who saw the attack called 911.

Pit Bull Attacks Boy, 5

A Doberman suffered serious injuries yesterday morning when a pit bull jumped a fence and attacked the dog in a field near Eglinton and Victoria Park Aves.

A five-year-old neutered pit bull, known to have previously attacked other dogs, leaped from the window of a motor home in Rohnert Park Monday night and "viciously" attacked two boxer dogs, police report.

Johnson, 73, of Fredericksburg was walking along Railroad Avenue when a pit bull ran out of a yard and bit him on the right leg, city police spokesman Jim Shelhorse said.

In the last 18 months, 12 of the 18 confirmed dog-related fatalities in the U.S. -- or 67% -- have been caused by the pit bull terrier, a breed that accounts for only 1% of the U.S. dog population!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version