Author Topic: portable speaker  (Read 855 times)

zahc

• friend
portable speaker
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »
I'm looking for a portable speaker. Needs 3.5mm and Bluetooth input, but especially 3.5mm. The main purpose is a mini soundbar for my computer monitor, so I can use my monitor as a portable TV with my roku stick.  Headphone output would be a big bonus too since the roku stick doesn't have a headphone jack on the remote.

Buying these things online is hard because most reviewers have no perception of sound quality so they rate it A++++ GREAT SOUND WOULD BUY AGAIN even if it sounds like garbage. And then there's overpriced Bose etc. which isn't worth the premiums. Does anyone here have a portable speaker they like?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: portable speaker
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »
Watching this thread carefully.  I recently bought what I thought would be an awesome speaker for my living room both in looks (wood) and sound, with all your criteria. They must have paid those Amazon reviewers some good coin for those five star reviews, because I'm looking for a replacement.

I found an awesome speaker a few months ago that I'm using in my shop. It might be too "outdorsy" for your needs:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bluetooth-Speakers-Waterproof-Playtime/dp/B07QK824QM?ref_=ast_bbp_dp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »
Feeling crafty?
https://youtu.be/a43LXqRwQC8

One of the guys here has one built on this basic concept, using one of those drivers, and it sounds really, really good. Punchy, full range sound. His is powered by a built in rc car battery pack instead of the removable cells, but he showed me this video as his inspiration.

It sounds good enough I'm building one this spring. I do better concrete work then this video shows, and have some form release

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
I have been using a JBL Charge4 over the last year or more with my phone at home.  It is working well and all the youtube shooting videos haven't blown it.  The smaller blue tooth speakers seem to have limited volume. 

Last time I shopped for computer speakers (a while back), you can get some pretty inexpensive speaker sets for computers that sound pretty good.  Depends on how picky you are about sound. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »
You could probably retrofit the Pelosi with those features but the output would still tend to make you want to gouge your ears out with a rusty fork.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:34:58 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 04:46:48 PM »
I have two of these and am very pleased.

Anker Soundcore 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker with Better Bass, 24-Hour Playtime, 66ft Bluetooth Range, IPX7 Water Resistance & Built-in Mic, Dual-Driver Wireless Speaker for Beach, Travel, Party- Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NS9P2J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DWYpEb1X4KTJN

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.