Author Topic: The Orville is back on!  (Read 3062 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Orville is back on!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »
Yeah, I was liking the previous two episodes. This one was more like "Sex in the City in Space". In fact I was cracking up because they would intermittently insert these three second snippets of the ship moving through space I guess to remind viewers that this was all in fact taking place on a spaceship.

This might have been an okay subplot, but not an entire show. Plus it was already done on STTNG.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »
I thought it was kinda boring.  Not horrible; not very good either.  But I did wonder, was the guy who played holographic ISAAC the same actor who plays robot ISAAC?
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
"This might have been an okay subplot, but not an entire show. Plus it was already done on STTNG."

Actually there aren't too many truly original plot lines in the space operas these days.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »
I have been recording and then watching, so far the one where the Krill take him prisoner was my least least favorite. The rest have pretty much sucked eggs. I am not feeling the love for this series but I try. OTOH, my wife really dislikes it so I usually watch it when she is not around. So they are basically 0 for 2 in our little abode. I just can't put my finger on it, it isn't drama yet they try at times, it isn't comedy yet they try at times. The comedy usually goes over better than the dramatic parts, usually. Then again some of the comedy (ok, a lot) falls flat for me. I will probably finish recording this season and not bother next season if there is one.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
I thought it was kinda boring.  Not horrible; not very good either.  But I did wonder, was the guy who played holographic ISAAC the same actor who plays robot ISAAC?

It was. Same with blob guy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
"I have been recording and then watching, so far the one where the Krill take him prisoner was my least least favorite."

That one was probably my favorite so far this season, followed closely by the one where Alara has to go to her home planet because she's adapting to lesser gravity.

The one where Kelly and Bortus are taken prisoner during a first contact was also quite good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Finally got around to watching Thursday's episode.

Not at all a good episode. One of my least favorites, in fact.

Although it is interesting that the doctor has come out as a Robosexual.

Oh, and it's now official... Halston Sage, who played Lt. Alara Kitan, has left the show. Very bummed at that. I thought she was an excellent character.

Well, the Orville is "the weirdest  ship in the fleet."   (It's OFFICIAL!!!!!!)

...... And no,  it wasn't a particularly good episode .... but it had a few good double entendres about .... malfunctions" .... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
So far I am disappoint.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 11:26:06 PM »
Did you see it last week?  (first of a 2-parter)  Very good!  Looks like the stupid episode with the Dr and Isaac may have just been the set-up for a new major story arc; and it sure went in a different direction that I expected.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:44:16 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 12:36:24 AM »
Isaac sure went sideways in a hurry.    Too bad they forgot Asimov's  Laws of Robotics. [tinfoil] 

It's going to be interesting to see how the mostly bags of water resolve this sticky wicket.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 07:09:12 AM »
I watched the first half of the 2 parter on Sunday when I got home.

EXCELLENT episode. I just hope that the second half keeps it up.

Asimov's Laws of Robotics don't apply when you suddenly realize that you've built Skynet...

I have a funny feeling, though, that Isaac is going to end up saving the day because he suddenly programs a conscience.

Interesting, though, that all of the robots on Kaylon had eyes (and they were all red).

If you remember back to the first season someone asks Isaac about his eyes, and he says that they're not needed/functional, and that he put them on because it made his human coworkers more comfortable.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 11:53:08 PM »
We just watched part one of Skynet vs. the humans, and we think this is one of the best episodes yet. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
. . .  I have a funny feeling, though, that Isaac is going to end up saving the day because he suddenly programs a conscience . . .
I hope not - too many shows go for a "warm and fuzzy" happy ending as it is.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2019, 02:24:11 PM »
I hope not - too many shows go for a "warm and fuzzy" happy ending as it is.

I'd hope not, too, but it's an easy and lazy way to end the situation.

A better way to end it would be to have the doctor discover a weakness in the Kaylon race given the time she spent schtupping Isaac.

Have to admit that I REALLY liked the design aspect that had the dual guns pop out of the Kaylons heads. Made a menacing character REALLY menacing.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
I'm rooting for self interest.  As the most unique AI; having so heavily edited himself, he places a higher value on himself than the rest of the machines whose information requirements are growing exponentially and just filled a planet.  He was also going to be dismantled as having his purpose complete.  I'm looking forward to some clever side stepping tonight.

I do love the whole meme of potato head prank worthy of genocide that has been going around. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
They chickenshitted out.

Good episode but they chickenshitted out with Isaac.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk