Author Topic: More divisive than cornbread or BBQ: Hawaiian pizza  (Read 8646 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: More divisive than cornbread or BBQ: Hawaiian pizza
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2021, 11:31:37 AM »
^^^Please to explain: it is a BBQ chicken pizza with cashews sprinkled over the top?  Not something odd like cashew cheese or cashew butter?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »
^^^Please to explain: it is a BBQ chicken pizza with cashews sprinkled over the top?  Not something odd like cashew cheese or cashew butter?

Yes, cashews are sprinkled over the top. Also lots of red onion.

I actually started looking after I posted and the only thing I've found so far in these parts seems to be chicken with peanuts. No BBQ chicken with any nuts, though they seem to make BBQ chicken with broccoli. I are disappoint, Idaho.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2021, 12:15:32 PM »
Yes, cashews are sprinkled over the top. Also lots of red onion.

I actually started looking after I posted and the only thing I've found so far in these parts seems to be chicken with peanuts. No BBQ chicken with any nuts, though they seem to make BBQ chicken with broccoli. I are disappoint, Idaho.

I'll bet if you walked into the chicken & peanuts place with a tin of cashews and agreed to wait, they'd make you one with cashews instead of peanuts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »
I'll bet if you walked into the chicken & peanuts place with a tin of cashews and agreed to wait, they'd make you one with cashews instead of peanuts.

Yeah, they might, but that one only does garlic chicken. Several good pizza places I looked at had the "build your own" menu. I suppose one could bring cashews to them. Though for me, pizza is mostly a take out food, meaning I call the order in or do it online, then grab and go, vs standing around waiting for it. Although there are no good pizza places less than 40 minutes from me anymore, so takeout kinda loses the appeal if you have cold pizza when you get home and have to reheat it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
I am reminded that the second best-selling item at Costco is the big plastic jar of cashews. The best selling item is the Kirkland Signature toilet paper.  We buy both of them.

Although I am now intrigued insofar as I have never even thought of, much less seen, the concept of nuts on pizza.  I don't think I have ever seen that as an option at any pizza place up here.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »
I am reminded that the second best-selling item at Costco is the big plastic jar of cashews. The best selling item is the Kirkland Signature toilet paper.  We buy both of them.

Although I am now intrigued insofar as I have never even thought of, much less seen, the concept of nuts on pizza.  I don't think I have ever seen that as an option at any pizza place up here.

For all I know, it might be a CA thing.

Anyway, as a poor man's workaround, maybe I need to pick up one of those jars of cashews. One of the things I've been doing since the local pizza joint shut down is getting those four packs of Kirkland cheese pizza*, the Kirkland black forest ham, and canned pineapples and making my own pizza with that.

Something I also buy at Costco is those grilled chicken two packs. If  I BBQ sauce those up, throw on some red onion, and throw on those cashews, I might get close to the real thing.

* For some reason, my Costco here does not have the big take and bake pizzas. I used to get the cheese ones of those in CA once in a while and make a half and half pizza with my dad, who couldn't eat sharp stuff. We'd each put our own toppings on and bake one of those up. They are much better than the Kirkland frozen pizzas, though the frozen pizzas are not bad. Certainly much, much better than what is usually in the grocery store frozen pizza aisle.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2021, 07:55:10 AM »
Got a couple of pizzas last night for dinner.

I would have gone pineapple and chicken, but my friend who is visiting is a complete stick in the mud. Pepperoni only. I never cared a whole lot of pepperoni, but it's OK.

Fortunately, last night's pizza was REALLY good, from a local shop that does it well. Just had two slices for breakfast.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2021, 08:55:12 AM »
Pizza in all of its manifestations is good. Cracker, thin, Chicago pub, New York, pan, stuffed, deep dish, Neapolitan ...

While I almost exclusively make my own pizza now, I've eaten the cheap stuff at events and have been perfectly happy.

I even like cheap frozen pizzas.

Hawaiian pizza is OK, not my favorite by any stretch. If you serve it I'll eat it though  =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 09:02:30 AM »

While I almost exclusively make my own pizza now,

Given my current limited takeout choices, I need to start doing this. My mom used to make great pizza all the time. For whatever reason, though I'm always baking bread, I haven't done pizza. I guess because I consider it a "quick takeout item" that somebody else is supposed to make for me. I don't think it would be that time consuming though, especially for getting something likely better than from the pizza place. Plus with my current hour or so roundtrip if I want to buy one, it might almost be faster to roll my own.  =)

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »
Given my current limited takeout choices, I need to start doing this. My mom used to make great pizza all the time. For whatever reason, though I'm always baking bread, I haven't done pizza. I guess because I consider it a "quick takeout item" that somebody else is supposed to make for me. I don't think it would be that time consuming though, especially for getting something likely better than from the pizza place. Plus with my current hour or so roundtrip if I want to buy one, it might almost be faster to roll my own.  =)

rabbit hole

https://www.pizzamaking.com/index.html
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2021, 07:14:34 AM »
I don't really care for deep dish or thick crust pizza.

It's like eating a loaf of bread that's been sauced.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2021, 07:56:19 AM »
I don't really care for deep dish or thick crust pizza.

It's like eating a loaf of bread that's been sauced.

Glad I'm not the only one. I don't like paper thin crust, but I've never been a fan of deep dish or pizza with three times more bread than toppings.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »
Also not a fan of the stuffed pizzas with the additional crust on top.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2021, 08:29:19 AM »
The real thick bready crusts seem to be more of an east coast pan pizza thing.

The legit deep dish pizzas in downtown Chicago don't have super thick crusts.

Most folks in Chicagoland have pizzerias that make what is more of a thin crust pub style pizza. Deep Dish is an occasional treat not the typical go to.

The Pizzeria Uno franchises make a pizza that is similar to the original but not identical. Along the lines of the too bready complaint, that's my main beef with the franchise version.

I might have to make a deep dish soon, it's been awhile!

https://www.realdeepdish.com/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
" I don't like paper thin crust"

That's a combination of crazy talk and fighting words!

I LOVE super thin crispy but still chewy crust pizza.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2021, 08:33:48 AM »

I love cracker thin crust pizzas!

It's really hard to make a good cracker crust at home. Pizza places use a dough sheeter and that is hard to reproduce at home.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »
The pizza we had Saturday night was NY Style. Nice thin crust. It could have stood another maybe 1 to 2 minutes in the oven, as the crust wasn't really all that crispy, but it was thin and really tasty.

The one case in which I'll gladly take a deep dish pizza over a thin crust is if it's Domino's. Their thin crust is... weird. It's... chalky, is the best word I can use to describe it and it doesn't taste like a yeast dough at all.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »

If it's still chewy, it's not the paper thin I was talking about. I like thin that still has a bread texture. I was more talking about stuff like those "keto" or whatever pizzas that have that dry, carboard-like crust.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »
"If it's still chewy, it's not the paper thin I was talking about."

Then I'd say you've never had a proper New York style thin crust pizza. Making those things is an art form.

5 seconds too long in the oven and the crust is no longer crispy and chewy, it's more likely to shatter (still not a totally bad thing).

Removed from the oven 5 seconds too soon and it's not crispy and it's bordering on soggy.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2021, 08:56:58 AM »
If it's still chewy, it's not the paper thin I was talking about. I like thin that still has a bread texture. I was more talking about stuff like those "keto" or whatever pizzas that have that dry, carboard-like crust.

Shakys Pizza made cracker crust pizza popular around the country.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2021, 07:49:17 PM »
I love cracker thin crust pizzas!

Same here.

But I love most other types of crust, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2021, 08:03:27 PM »
Same here.

But I love most other types of crust, too.

Way back awhen I worked pizza we would use cracker crusts to make a triple-decker.

Crust, light sauce (could be marinara, bbq, buffalo, or ranch), cheese, flat topping(s) for the first two layers but on top we would put the sausage and/or beef and/or bits of chicken from our wing supply along with extra cheese. 

That was just for us, the customers never knew of such a thing.

And in case you're wondering, we did try to go higher but cutting the thing got a lot more difficult with a fourth layer as things would slide around so much it made getting a series of good, straight cuts really difficult.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2021, 09:38:28 PM »

And in case you're wondering, we did try to go higher but cutting the thing got a lot more difficult with a fourth layer as things would slide around so much it made getting a series of good, straight cuts really difficult.
Or

Get a BIG GER knife!  Think machete or scimitar.  Or crescent shaped sharpened piece of discarded steel.  Pizza wheels need not apply.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2021, 09:43:23 PM »
Well, now you tell me!

Though if you'd had the displeasure to meet some of my co-workers you'd see the wisdom in not giving them access to a huge blade.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.