Author Topic: Windows XP Media Center - need CD.  (Read 1223 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Windows XP Media Center - need CD.
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
Any of you folks have a spare Win XP Media Center edition CD?  Working on a machine for a friend that came with XP MedCtr and want to do a fresh install but they can't find the media and no one in the office has a disc.  I have cds for Home, Pro, and 2000, just not Media Center (lucky me, eh?) 

I have the product key so all I need is the media.

Thanks!
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Windows XP Media Center - need CD.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
PM sent.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »
Thanks!!

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
I've got an ISO at work, for a Dell OEM XP media center disk, if need be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
Thanks for offering.  Got a fix-up on the way.

Brad
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
I will say that mine are ISO's from a Microsoft online repository.

I'm obviously not including the license keys, and there are situations where OEM licenses will not work with MS-originated discs.  I can't remember if there are 3 classes of license keys or only 2, but it's either OEM/MS, or OEM/Retail/MS...

It might be best to obtain the Dell discs above as a backup in case mine don't work for you.  If you're working off of a set of OEM licenses, it's possible that my discs won't work.

Of course, WinXP-MCE was a pretty small release in the marketplace and there may only be one licensing scheme for it at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
It the OEM key, the one printed right on the machine.

I wonder if XP Home will recognize the XP-MCE key as valid?  If it will I'll just go that route as I already have media.

Brad
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »
I wonder if XP Home will recognize the XP-MCE key as valid?  If it will I'll just go that route as I already have media.

Brad

Nope.  They are different.
I've got an OEM XP-MCE set in the shop.  I'm saving it for a laptop that is awaiting repairs.  If your "Plan A" doesn't work out, I can burn a copy of the set and send it your way.  It's three CDs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.