Author Topic: Windows Tablets  (Read 2125 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Windows Tablets
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »
I'm impressed.

Wifey got a Surface RT tablet last Xmas, which showed me the possibilities, but since it was hers, I didn't do a whole lot with it.

Fast forward to this Xmas seasons...

The Microsoft Store at one of the local malls had the HP Stream 7 on sale for $75, so I picked one up.  Kind of small, specs aren't all that great, but could be fun to experiment with.  It handles all the basic tablet stuff just fine (media, web browsing, etc).  Since it came with a free 1yr sub to Office 365, I installed it and configured Outlook for my corporate email.  Success, so I take it to work.

All last week, I was in on-site vendor training where we used our corporate laptops.  At one point, I had to leave training for a conference call, so I took the tablet to my office.  Once on the phone, I used the tablet to sign into the Citrix Webex session.  It went without a hitch and worked smoothly.  No delays, stuttering, or any problems at all.  The guy on the call referenced a doc that was sent out by email previously, so I went back to my email via the tablet, found the doc, and opened it in Word.  Now I have Outlook, Word, and Citrix Webex running and everything is still smooth.  I can bring two apps on screen side-by-side as well (try that with Android or IOS). 

At one point in the call, my short attention span kicks in and I drift over to APS using IE on the tablet.  Nothing going on, so I go back to the presentation.  Still running smoothly...

Call's over, so I close down Webex, take a look at the mails that came in while I wasn't looking, then return to the training session.  This little tablet that fits in my back pocket is far more functional than any Android or IOS tablet I've used.  I can also use RDP to control other Windows machines (only tested it with my home system though).  If I could get our VPN working (uses a smartcard, don't have a reader on the tablet), I could do "real work" as well.

I tried installing the VMWare VSphere client, but it doesn't work well with a touchscreen.  Oh, it runs well enough, but it doesn't adjust for the on-screen keyboard, making navigation and control tedious.  If I used a Bluetooth keyboard, it would probably work fine.  I didn't try to use the VSphere VM consoles because I wasn't sure how I'd execute the escape key sequence (ctrl-alt) with the on-screen keyboard to release from the console.  Again, something easily remedied by an external bluetooth keyboard.

It won't replace my laptop, but it'll reduce the number of times I have to drag my laptop around for minor tasks. 

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Windows Tablets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »
I have been using the Dell Venue 11s for laptop replacement of my construction administrators and the executive staff at my work.  These are a bit more beefier than the HP you are using but they are well liked and used.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 09:03:29 AM »
I'm using a MS Surface Pro 2 right now. Admittedly, it is overkill for what I do with it, but it is a nice system. It runs full Windows 8, has the typical desktop look if wanted, has a USB port, plus bluetooth, and 128g HD all in an Ipad sized package.

I've added on a real keyboard that doubles as a screen protector, and a wireless mouse (MS Arc - it rocks).

This model is the expensive one, but there are much cheaper models to choose.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:16 PM »
A few months ago I bought an Android tablet because I thought I really needed to know what all the tablet hype was about. I gave it away within two or three weeks.

As far as I could see, it was essentially useless. I got spoiled traveling with an Acer Aspire One netbook, which was a bit larger than pocket sized, but very light and portable. And I could do real work on it. I had the full Microsoft Office 2003 suite on it, even AutoCAD LT 2000. As long as I didn't go nuts trying to have everything open at once, it handled it just fine.

With the tablet, I felt like I did back in the early 80s when my then-wife gave me a Commodore VIC 20 for Christmas. There was no tape drive, there was no printer -- just this box with a keyboard, that with much effort could be programmed to repeat "Hello."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »
I just picked up a 10.1" HP Pavillion Windows with the typewriter cover from the Microsoft store for $199 on Mtnbkr's recommendation.

Ordered it yesterday, and had it shipped to my Mom's. It's been at the UPS hub the next town over (5 miles) since 4:18 a.m. but it won't be delivered until Monday...

This will be my first foray into the tablet world. I have my Samsung smart phone, and that paved the way for me. I won't be using it for the same kinds of things that Chris is using his for. I'm going to use it for webbing, light Office functions, and streaming video. I was originally intending to get a Smart TV for the bedroom, but the tablet option just made so much more sense.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
I want a pro 3 real bad.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

erictank

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »
I'm using a MS Surface Pro 2 right now. Admittedly, it is overkill for what I do with it, but it is a nice system. It runs full Windows 8, has the typical desktop look if wanted, has a USB port, plus bluetooth, and 128g HD all in an Ipad sized package.

I've added on a real keyboard that doubles as a screen protector, and a wireless mouse (MS Arc - it rocks).

This model is the expensive one, but there are much cheaper models to choose.

Just recently got my wife a Surface Pro 3 (i5/8GB RAM/256GB SSD) to replace the large laptop stolen by someone in the Marriott Marquis Atlanta's baggage staff (claim denied by Marriott's Loss Prevention team, because I couldn't prove my computer was ever there). Same keyboard and mouse - I'm a little annoyed I have to pay extra for those, but they work surprisingly well. As you said, it's pricy - our system + addons cost over $1600, and because she's a klutz she also wanted the $389+ 3 yr complete replacement warranty, which covers, well, anything that could happen to the system other than deliberately taking a hammer to it or something like that.

She *LOVES* it. I think it's pretty great too, but it's her primary computer so she is the one using it the most. Stepdaughter has taken to using it for her homework and web browsing on the couch since her laptop is out for repairs (she dropped it and managed to completely destroy one of the screen hinges, as in completely GONE), and wants one. Told her to take it up with her father the lawyer, who makes several times what I do and covers most of the kids' school-related expenses including their computers. Maybe she can get a Surface Pro 3 for Christmas this year, instead of a repair to her Vaio.

I'm still getting by with my 3rd-gen i7 Sager, 16GB RAM and 2TB across 2 conventional hard drives. Sure, it weighs about 40 pounds (exaggeration, it's not more than 10), but I still have no need to worry if the system can do whatever I want to throw at it. When it comes time to replace it, I'll probably go for something lighter with a large SSD - I like that near-instant boot-up - maybe a Broadwell-CPU Yoga or a similar convertible laptop/tablet. Would be handy for work at a client's power plant.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:47:28 AM »
while all that sounds great, I don't understand a damn bit of it.    :O

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
Tablet got here, HP Pavilion 10.1. Couldn't really use it while at my Mom's as no wifi.

So, really broke it out and started putting it though its paces yesterday.

REALLY like it. Some quirks getting it set up, and some things I'm having to get used to. I am missing the Android interoperability with my phone, but I'm loving the fact that it's essentially a laptop PC. The keyboard is a little small, and takes getting used to, but the color rendering and clarity are excellent.

Speed it also quite good.

The only quirk I've had with is so far is that it lost wifi and it was something of a chore to get it re-established. Since then, no problems at all.

I plugged the mouse dongle from my old netbook into it and it booted right up with no issues. Speaking of mice, the keyboard has a touchpad. Normally I can't use them for some reason -- the pointer jumps and skips and doesn't track for me. But this one is flawless.

All in all, not a bad $200 spent.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
A few months ago I bought an Android tablet because I thought I really needed to know what all the tablet hype was about. I gave it away within two or three weeks.

As far as I could see, it was essentially useless. I got spoiled traveling with an Acer Aspire One netbook, which was a bit larger than pocket sized, but very light and portable. And I could do real work on it. I had the full Microsoft Office 2003 suite on it, even AutoCAD LT 2000. As long as I didn't go nuts trying to have everything open at once, it handled it just fine.

With the tablet, I felt like I did back in the early 80s when my then-wife gave me a Commodore VIC 20 for Christmas. There was no tape drive, there was no printer -- just this box with a keyboard, that with much effort could be programmed to repeat "Hello."

The problem with your tablet is that it ran Android.  The Windows tablets we're talking about have full Windows OS installations like your netbook, just without the clamshell/keyboard configuration (though that is an option with some devices).    Anything you can do with your Acer Aspire netbook can be done with a Windows tablet.  Some tasks may make you want a keyboard and mouse, but both can easily be added to a Windows tablet (either via a USB port or Bluetooth).

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Of all the Windows tablets, I think the Surface Pro 2 or 3 are the best. But we buy the i7 model with 250 ish GB of SSD. As an FYI, TeamViewer is the best solution for remoting in for work on them. The only issue is they apparently don't like to actually shutdown or even reboot. We didn't fully look into it, we just made a shortcut to "shutdown /r" and "shutdown /s" and no complaints since.

For non-Windows tablets, I prefer the Samsung 7 inch tablets, but I use them as tablets and not netbooks. 10.1 tablets are alright, but the portability of the 7 inch tablets is makes me carry it more often. If I wanted a "desktop" experience, I'd go with a netbook over a tablet. I usually don't want a desktop experience, hence why I usually carry my tablet.

We have a mess of iPads at work, which work if somewhat annoyingly. You can't directly access the storage on iOS (solution: DropBox) and there's no SD slot (no solution there). We're going to buy a couple Android tablets. Both Android and iPad tablets can VPN and RDP just fine. Only useful in a pinch, but they work.

SSH and KeePass2 work absolutely fine on Android and Windows. KeePass2 is the mission essential password vault. Combined with a Synology NAS's CloudStation app, I sync my personal password database between my 3 laptops, my phone, my 2 tablets and my desktop. Multiple people or devices can use the password vault at any time and sync changes. I plan on rolling that out for the workplace as well. Having a secure repository of all passwords and other sensitive info saved my bacon so many times it's not funny.

I personally think Win 8 is only marginally useful if you install ClassicShell, but our sales folks like it so whatever meets the user's needs. Win 10 is what Win 8 should have been. I made a list of the good and bad, but there's no significant reason for any enterprise environment to use Windows 10. Looks like Windows 7 will be the enterprise desktop OS of choice for another 5 years. It's not the best tablet OS, but if I had the spare loot, I'd put it on a Surface Pro 2. If you use a stylus, it's not that bad.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:48:51 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
I don't see the point of ClassicShell on a tablet.  Windows 8 is flawed on the desktop, but works as a tablet OS.  The tiled interface is quick and easy to use as a touchscreen interface.

Chris

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
I don't see the point of ClassicShell on a tablet.  Windows 8 is flawed on the desktop, but works as a tablet OS.  The tiled interface is quick and easy to use as a touchscreen interface.

Chris

QFT.  I've always wondered what possessed MS to graft a tablet OS into a desktop OS (resulting in Win8/8.1), and use the tablet's touch interface for every system imaginable, including the desktops which the user sits a few feet away from and would have to reach uncomfortably for the touchscreen - if they have a touchscreen at all. But for a Surface Pro, or one of the Atom-powered Windows tablets, that interface makes PERFECT sense, even if you also use a BT keyboard and maybe even a mouse.

I like my Nexus 7 (late-2013 version, Android-powered tablet), but it's unquestionably a toy. RDP is possible, but clumsy, and while I can open and generate Word and Excel and read PDF files, productivity seems... difficult. The Windows/Atom tablets have more power than the netbook I have in a carrying case in the closet, and will run that stuff natively. I might grab one of those from Micro Center before too much longer to play with - already have a BT keyboard for the Nexus 7, it should work just fine if I get the smaller Win tablet. Have to check out what's available, I suppose.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Differences in interface are only a small part of the picture. The under the hood improvements to 8.x and 10 are significant.

And, pronouncements about it being useless in the enterprise are a bit premature when we're more than a year from RTM
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »
Surface Pro 3 is a very nice, very capable little device. Plus the TSA doesn't require extra scanning when you stick it in your carry-on, unlike a laptop.

I'm able to run Skyrim on the i5 model, so graphics abilities are pretty impressive for a tablet. The stylus is excellent, and works great for adding notes to PDFs. With the SD card slot, you have quite a bit of extra storage available. I can even slap in the CAC reader and access my .gov email and work-related sharepoint site. Unlike most tablets, this has ventilation ports and a fan, so it has more options than 'melt the board' or 'automatic shutdown' as a response to heat.

Most recently, I was playing an old DOS game with a wireless mouse while flying cross-country.

And it can print.

Not a desktop replacement, but I see no real need for a laptop when this is available.

BTW, biggest advantage of Pro 3 over the Pro 2 - the kickstand works in much more than two positions. A much-needed improvement.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
Is the -3 kickstand more durable? I broke the kickstand off of my -2 quite easily. No warranty and not user replaceable.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Is the -3 kickstand more durable? I broke the kickstand off of my -2 quite easily. No warranty and not user replaceable.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
Differences in interface are only a small part of the picture. The under the hood improvements to 8.x and 10 are significant.

And, pronouncements about it being useless in the enterprise are a bit premature when we're more than a year from RTM

If it's difficult to use, it doesn't really MATTER what improvements there are under the hood. I found, based on a year's use of Win 8 on a non-touch laptop and on a standard-layout non-touch desktop versus a few months now using 8.1 on the Surface Pro, Win 8 is MUCH easier to use with a touchscreen, which does not seem to me to be a business-oriented setup. It COULD be, but there's a significant amount of retooling for most places to get there, and leaning over the desk to manipulate a touchscreen (or two) is pretty non-ergonomic. Classic Shell or something like that helps a lot on the non-touch/old-school layout front, certainly, for only a modest cost. And that pretty much covers the extent of my layman's "business analysis" re: Win8/8.x.

Can't comment on Win10, as I haven't played at all with the Technical Preview yet. My netbook won't run it, and that's the only thing I would risk at this time.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »
Never had the -2, just the RT. It seems more durable than that one, probably due to the near-infinite adjustability on it - so it will bend further instead of breaking.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »
Ive found 8.1 to be perfectly adequate, and once you get the hang of "windows key + first few letters of the program you want", it's faster. YMMV
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog