Author Topic: Portable 12v Battery Chargers?  (Read 3813 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Portable 12v Battery Chargers?
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
So, this dufus I know (:angel:) fails to run his temperamental Grand Cherokee for several days during the holiday cold temps, and neglected to disconnect the battery, knowing that the accursed beast is prone to battery drain. Vehicle is positioned awkwardly for a cable jump start. Dufus has periodically contemplated purchasing a portable 12v charger to address situations like this.

Can anyone help me this dufus I know with suggested specifications, brands, general recommendations, warnings, and anecdotal observations? Financial constraints make "kill it with fire" a non-starter, pun intended. =(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Portable 12v Battery Chargers?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Walmart carries a black & decker branded jump starter for around $50.  Don't know how well it works, though.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
Are you looking for something self contained or something you have to plug into an outlet?

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:37:05 PM »
Wal Mart Carries a 2/4/6/ Amp, 12volt Charger for, I believe, about $25.  I have one and it seems to work for me, but that is in balmy CA weather, usually used when lights are left on or the car isn't driven for long periods.

He should be able to leave the charger on 2 amp for a trickle charge.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
I got one of those $25 B&D Walmart specials.  Even though my car is garage kept, if I'm not going to drive it for a few days in the winter I plug it in.   

It has also revived Mrs. Scout's battery when she (or one of the kids) have left an interior light on over night.

Recommended.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:03:06 PM »
For about $10 Harbor Freight has tiny 12 volt trickle charger/battery tender/float charger.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

I have three boat batteries (2 deep cycle and 1 starting) and I currently have one for each of them for winter storage. This is my first year using them so I can't give any longevity reports on it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »
Hell if I know...we are using some ancient Sears battery charger, nothing fancy.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:42 PM »
i was just going to say Sears. Also Grainger has a decent one if you can buy at Grainger
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to get a mechanic loaner tomorrow for the immediate problem. A rechargeable self-contained unit is preferable as we road trip regularly. Any thoughts on the compressor combo models?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »
Just went and did the neighborly thing and changed the battery out for my bud next door. Broke the bold on the friggin positive connector. Guess I'll finish it tomorry.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to get a mechanic loaner tomorrow for the immediate problem. A rechargeable self-contained unit is preferable as we road trip regularly. Any thoughts on the compressor combo models?

OK, I used to be a big fan of those, especially after using them to jump our vehicles off a few times...

I am not a big fan anymore. The battery must be charged periodically- not good for the forgetful type. Most put the jumppack into the trunk or rear of the vehicle and forget about it.

Even charging the battery reguarly and having the little meter on it say it's good doesn't necessarily mean that it is in good working order.

The air compressor portion has been fairly useless. I tried using it to pump up various smaller tires (smaller than a car tire) and it has never really worked. It works OK at best for inflatable toys.

Worse than anything, if the battery is dead in them, then they can't be used as a regular set of jumper cables. If you get a jumppack, then get a set of regular jumper cables to go with them...

Now, I get by a lot better with a quality set of 20" jumper cables- I store mine in a plastic box that's similar to the GI surplus ammo cans.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
It sounds like you could buy a set of jumper cables and a small SLA battery instead of a jumper-combo.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »
SLA battery?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
SLA battery?

Sealed Lead Acid.

They are used in things like computer UPS's.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »
I'll consider that. I've got cables, the Jeep is just out of position to use them (another planning consideration.)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
Now, I get by a lot better with a quality set of 20" jumper cables- I store mine in a plastic box that's similar to the GI surplus ammo cans.

20 inches?  That's less than two feet, how do you get it to reach without smashing the bumpers together?

By the sounds of it, I'd recommend a mountable trickle charger - just plug it in when parked -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99857

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »
Excuse me, 20 feet.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
It sounds like you could buy a set of jumper cables and a small SLA battery instead of a jumper-combo.

If you've got room for a spare battery, why not mount it under the hood with one of the cutout devices made for RVs?  You drain from your regular battery, and both charge with the engine running.  Throw the bypass switch and you can pull from both batteries to get it started.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
I've got one that has internal SLA batteries, and trickle charges through the vehicle's cigarette lighter.  You can also find solar trickle chargers that keep the main 12v battery topped up via the same cigarette lighter connection.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:24:26 AM »
If you've got room for a spare battery, why not mount it under the hood with one of the cutout devices made for RVs?  You drain from your regular battery, and both charge with the engine running.  Throw the bypass switch and you can pull from both batteries to get it started.

Here is a neighbor who doesn't maintain his vehicle properly (witness the broken bolt - battery terminals long overdue for cleaning), and you expect him to do something like that ?  ;/

Best solution would be a new neighbor  :P

I have a 120v powered 12v/6v charger, and an extension cord.  Worked on our old Suburban yesterday when it was 35 below zero. ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Practical access to an AC outlet is a challenge, so an SLA or solar trickler may be the way to go.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:46 PM »
My poor old neglected Cherokee objected to being roused this morning, it doesn't like sub zero temps. I "tasered" it with my 2/10/50 amp charger set to 50 amps and it got right to business.
The portable jump boxes are OK, IF you maintain them properly. The better ones are on the expensive side.
The little 12V compressors are OK but I've seen a few of them burn out trying to inflate just one modest sized pick up tire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams