Author Topic: Mec-Gar Staggered Mag Issues  (Read 678 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Mec-Gar Staggered Mag Issues
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
I ordered 3 NIP Mec-Gar magazines from CDNN for my fullsize EAA Witness in .38 Super to augment the one factory unit that came with the pistol (peeve). I went to load them, and they will accept 3 rounds before locking up when the base of the follower reaches the mag release notch. The follower will move freely when I depress it with a pen. I also tried with some 9x23 rimless, so it isn't rimlock. I can'r find any burrs or snag points inside he mag bodies or on the followers. Empty mags seat/release fine and lock the slide smartly.

I though Mec-Gar had a pretty good rep for quality. I'm assuming the followers are tilting somehow and binding under cartridge pressure. Any ideas?

Thanks.

FYI, I ordered a couple of their on-sale M14 mags for my M1A, and they lock up really tight, making removal difficult, and the folding/seams are shoddy. YGWYPF.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Mec-Gar Staggered Mag Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
Bummer.

My MecGars for my CZ-75 9mm work dandy.

Check the mag catch hole for burrs?  Take some fine sandpaper (very lightly) to the outer circumference of the follower just to check for burrs/seams/etc?

Or, are the bullet noses possibly too long for the mag body?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
Hmm. I don't know about cartridge OAL. I tried Remington Super ball and Winchester 9x23 JSP, and the rounds I can load seem to clear. That would suggest the front and rear mag walls have a funky taper or are out of spec. I guess it's possible.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
I think I figured it out. The MG body is a bit longer fron to back, and the follower appears to be tilting and locking up. The factory follower works properly in the MG mag. Looks like I'll need to order some factory followers, making the mags cost what I would've paid for factory units. Oh, well, trivial in the scheme of my current run of luck.