Author Topic: Cheap, idiot-proof home theater?  (Read 1475 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Cheap, idiot-proof home theater?
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
So, I'm moving into my new place, and all my A/V electronics are dead except my television.

I have an older Akai 35" tube TV which will be signaled by Time Warner Cable (only real option at my new address, spit). I'm looking for a home theater package for conventional DVD playback and fair audio output, with an iPod dock, for less than $300.

ETA: Looking at this http://www.amazon.com/JVC-TH-G41-1000-Watt-Digital-Theater/dp/B001UHU1HE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1265662243&sr=1-12

Recommendations/suggestions? Thanks.

SADShooter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:05:33 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Cheap, idiot-proof home theater?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
Cheap, idiot-proof home theater?

Depends.  How talented is the idiot?  :laugh:

Hit your local big box stores and see what kind of theater-in-a-box they have for sale this week.  Wally World is a pretty good place, too.  Mos self-contained stuff is pretty straightforward in use.  Be warned ... some of them are so self-contained that they don't have any kind of auxiliary inputs.  Make sure the unit you choose has plenty of expansion room.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the ego-boost, Brad. =D I see my natural self-deprecation is wasted here. "Og recognize color-coded cable and input jack, grunt."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:30:35 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:07:58 PM »
Wal-Mart special.

There will be some sort of Memorex/DaeWoo/etc two speaker stereo system with built in CD and AM/FM tuner for $100-$150.  Start with that.

It will have a single AV input that works off RCA connectors.

Might even have a real iPod dock, though likely not.

Plug the headphone from the iPod into the RCA connectors when you want to listen to it, and plug the audio output from your TV to the AV input on the stereo when you want amplified stereo sound for movies and such.

I have a set of RCA cables that allow two devices to both share the same input on an RCA input... The end that goes into my stereo receiver mimics the input sockets on their back end so that I can plug another audio input into the same input channel on the receiver.  I can't seem to find that type of plug on the innernetz right now, but it would probably be really useful for a low-cost installation like yours.  Radio Shack would probably have it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
Thanks for the ego-boost, Brad. I see my natural self-deprecation is wasted here. "Og recognize color-coded cable and input jack, grunt."

Og recognize color? Og have big brain!  =D

I'd still hit some of the big-box sites.  If you're close to a Wally World, Best Buy, Target, Sears, etc, check their clearance rack.

Radio Shack would probably have it.

Don't count on it.  I was in a local store yesterday (the one I managed some 20 years ago) and it was pathetic.  Just guestimating, but I'd say they probably carry a third or less of the component and connector inventory they used to.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
An entry level Yamaha receiver will cost as much as the whole package, but you will never regret it. Yamahas cannot be beat for the price.

edit: oops looks like you want alot more than a receiver and speakers... the JVC system listed might not be too bad for that price...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
brimic:

Thanks. I don't mind buying quality components, I just need something to tide me over until I have a better handle on my budget. If my 14 y/o Pioneer receiver hadn't conked out a few months ago, this wouldn't be an issue.

SADShooter

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
Might also keep an eye on Craigslist or the local garage sales.  Someone's always trading up.

Back to your orig post... the linked system will probably do just fine if all you're wanting is a get-you-by setup.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:59:46 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »
the downside with the all in one is you can't add anything(at least on one i've seen) with over 2 channel audio, so if you want to add a bluray player you need to upgrade. :facepalm: so i would try to get a bluray player or go for separates(player [receiver and speakers] or HTIAB). =|

if your buying separates, i suggest at least trying to get a receiver with hdmi 1.3a. if you want 3d, wait a bit and you wont have to upgrade again. :angel:

here's a good place to start looking but there prices are a little high(the information is free though) [tinfoil] follow up with some cables best prices on cables ;) get the 1.3a

not the best receiver, but this one is just over 200 bucks. has hdmi ports and supports 1080p24. it's the one i was looking at till i found out it didn't have quite as much power output as the specs would lead you to believe =| but if your looking at single box player-recivers :angel:

you might want to look at this one [popcorn]