Author Topic: PC Audio Volume Fluctuating Randomly  (Read 3353 times)

SADShooter

• friend
PC Audio Volume Fluctuating Randomly
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
I've got a Dell XPS desktop and 5.1 surround speakers with Creative SB X-Fi. I've tested the speakers and checked all the connections. The volume drops randomly and picks up again. I noticed it first with iTunes, then tested with a reliable CD. I'm stumped. This is my only stereo currently this is frustrating. Any ideas?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: PC Audio Volume Fluctuating Randomly
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
This is going to sound dumb, but it has to be asked...  Did you try wiggling all the connections and plugs?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Does it also fluctuate if you're listening through the headphone jack?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
DD:

Yes. A whole lotta jiggling goin' on. ;)

Brad:

No headphone test. My iPod and headphones are in my office. I'll try that tommorrow.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
One thing you could try tonight to a simple reseat of the card and audio connectors between the card and disk drive.  Given the small voltages involved it doesn't take much to really screw up the signal.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to blow out the case, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:46 PM »
Yes. A whole lotta jiggling goin' on.

mmmmmm.... kinda sorry I asked now....  :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Should probably make sure your drivers are all up to date as well. With all the new MS patches something could have become dysfunctional and need updating.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
Be careful about updating creative drivers.  I recently updated drivers for my fatality pro soundcard and now if I don't kill certain processes before shutting down, it takes around 5 minutes to turn my computer off.  Sometimes killing those certain processes doesn't even work.  It's a common problem from what I've read, and with creative you only get like a month of customer support.  I will never buy anything from them again. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford