Author Topic: Christopher Titus "Norman Rockwell Is Bleeding" finally available on DVD!  (Read 6296 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I love Chris Titus' standup work.  An aquired taste, for sure, and amazing that he can make you laugh at what (for most people) would be a dark, sickeningly dysfunctional excuse for a life.  But make you laugh he can.  You wonder why.  You think, "I should really be feeling sorry for this guy", but you laugh instead.

His original routine, the one that made him famous (after his Titus TV show went away) when it aired on Showtime years ago, is finally available on DVD.  I can only presume that "Norman Rockwell is Bleeding" hasn't hit the DVD racks prior because of some licensing issue with the network or maybe it was tied up in his divorce proceedings (which he talks in extensive and scathingly funny detail on his recent show 'Love is Evol').

The only place I've found it was on his web site and, at $32 including shipping, it's a bit on the pricey side.  Still, if you like his work and have been wanting the show on DVD, it's there. 

Brad
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:54:28 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Christopher Titus "Norman Rockwell Is Bleeding" finally available on DVD!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:48:10 PM »
I've seen his stuff on TV and thought he was pretty funny, also that TV show he had that was on for a while.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:40:57 AM »
Yeah?  Well, you got a dinosaur head!   =D

Someone has a 9-part copy of Norman Rockwell is Bleeding on youtube.  Here's part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP1kKcZtnkQ
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:47:35 AM »
It's about time.  Several years ago I downloaded an AVI of it and made a DVD from it.  I always said that if he ever released it on DVD I'd buy a copy.  $32 is a bit steep, but I'll pay it.

"You know how everyone has that one person in their family?  The one who when you get the call from the police at 3am it's not really a surprise?  Bet it's not your mom."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »
"Hello Mr. Titus, this is Ira Stevenson."
"And?"
"Sir, I'm your mother's lawyer."
"Ugh. And?"
"Well, sir, your mother's in prison."
"AAAAAAAND?"
"Well sir, she's killed her husband."
"Oh. . . that's new."
 =D =D =D
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
Got the DVD today.  Couple of interesting observations...

* The return address is printed with an inkjet printer on a good old Avery 5160 label and hand-pasted on the shipping envelope.

* Both the cover and disc are autographed in paint-pen, not printed as part of the image.

* The cover was autographed right on the CD case before it was inserted in the jacket.  There is ink on the outside of the label that corresponds to where the sig drifts off the printed linter inside the case jacket. 

* Heavy pixillation indicates the pic on the back of the jacket is an extreme enlargement of a digital still taken as a frame grab from the video.

* The label on my particular disk has a jitter in the middle of the image just like what would happen if you accidently jogged an inkject-type disk labeler as it was printing.

Judging by all this I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's doing this directly out of his office (home, maybe?).  No idea what the video, audio, or menu quality is like.  I'll find out tonight when I pop it in the player.  I fully expect the menus to look like something someone has ginned up on their computer.

Might make for an interesting collectable if he ever goes mega-star.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
Finally! I love Titus' work - his TV show was short lived (three years) but amazing, and his stand-up is top notch. I'll put that on my "to-buy" list!  =D

EDIT: Dang, says he's only signing the first 500 DVDs. We'll see if that includes my order, IF I can make one soon.  =|
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:59:50 PM by PTK »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
Someone has a 9-part copy of Norman Rockwell is Bleeding on youtube.  Here's part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP1kKcZtnkQ

I wasn't familiar with Titus. Just spent way too much time watching this.

"Why don't you climb down from your cross, use the wood to build a bridge, and get over it??"

I like him already.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
This thread introduced me to this guy and I am glad it did. Cheers!  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »
"Love is Evol" is still available.  It's the followup to NRIB.  You need to see both, and in order, for the full effect.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
Just finished it.  About what I figured.

The menu design, structure, and function is fairly rudamentary, just like it would be if someone with a basic grasp of home-PC DVD production savvy was doing it on their own computer.  This disk also has some prints and blemishes where it's been handled, all consistent with being removed from a stack of disks and manually inserted into the case.  Reinforces my belief that he did this all on his own.

The disk is a production piece, it doesn't appear to have been burned-at-home.  But disk reproduction services are available just about anywhere.  He could have easily had a couple thousand disks duped from a master copy and done the surface labeling himself.  The jacket insert has all the appearances of being commercially printed but, again, a trip to Kinkos for a couple thousand copies is an easy weekend project.

Kinda neat in a way.  If my presumptions are correct, he's really putting in the effort to try and get this thing out.  Impressive that someone believes in their work that much.

Brad

*Edit to add* 
p.s. - Now I'm gonna have to find some contact info.  The disk is fubar'd on chapter 11.  It plays on the bedroom DVD player with a few shudders and jitters.  Didn't think anything of it because that player is a cheapo piece of crap and does it on most disks.  The living room player and the computer freeze in the middle of that chapter. It's got a gouge in the disk that would correspond to about that time index.  Problem is, no invoice or contact info in the package, and no contact info on his web page.  Hmph.

p.p.s. - Amazing what you can find on the interwebz.  Pretty sure I have his home address, complete with pic (couple of hot rods in the drive, too).  Sending a replacement disk request via snail mail tomorrow.  Hope it's the right place.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:19:46 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
"You know how you got the one family member that you get a call from the police about being in jail at 3AM and you're not surprised?  I bet it's not your MOM!"

How much you wanna bet? :D
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:06 AM »
What?  That's not funny?
Come on...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
Forgot to post this the other day...

I sent a the letter to the address I found.  On Friday I got a call from an 818 area code number.  I almost didn't answer it because telemarketers are about to drive me crazy.  The caller announced they were from Chris Titus Productions.  Oh, cool, they got the letter!  But I about dropped the phone when I figure out the call wasn't from some office personnel.  The caller was Christopher's girlfriend, Rachel (the one he talks about on 'Love is Evol'), and on her personal cell phone no less.  Nice as she could be, too.  Apologized profusely for the disk being bad and is sending a replacement.

Kinda backs up my theory that this run of disks is being done right from his home.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
Got the replacement disk.  Works fine.  Looks like the other one had a problem in pressing.

Brad
-HankB

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
"Love is Evol" is still available.  It's the followup to NRIB.  You need to see both, and in order, for the full effect.

Brad

There was one in between the two.  The 5th Annual End Of The World tour. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »
There was one in between the two.  The 5th Annual End Of The World tour. 

Which, quite frankly, sucked.  It was a 90 minute political rant.  The only think funny about it was how fast it tanked.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:07:43 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB