Author Topic: Tools of Empire, Old School Style  (Read 3945 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Tools of Empire, Old School Style
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
I have a new, visceral appreciation for the rise and expansion of Rome as an imperial power. This epiphany is a result of holding in my sweaty, jubilant little hand the Aquilifer, a Fulham pattern gladius as beautifully rendered by Albion Swords of Wisconsin. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-roman-fulham.htm Lustrous matte grey steel, walnut, holly and bronze never looked so good together.

It's awe-inspiring to contemplate how many "uncivilized", pantaloon-wearing rustics were dispatched by instruments such as this in forging Mare Nostrum.

Hopefully I'll still be posting tomorrow, ideally with all limbs and appendages still intact.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Grebnaws

• friend
Re: Tools of Empire, Old School Style
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
That is a gorgeous reproduction. Gladii have a remarkable and timeless utilitarian design that fit the Roman's role perfectly. Aesthetically I prefer the Pompeii style over the Fulham, but I have owned a few Albion swords and would not hesitate to purchase anything from them. Currently I have a Del Tin that shows the Albion Stamp (in house assembly), a Trafalgar cutlass, and two early Atrim swords that are no longer available through them.

I managed to avoid their website for the past year but you have drawn me back in. Must. Keep. Wallet. In. Pants.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Bwahahahahaha! My sword junkie evangelism cred grows.

I also bought a Liechtenauer training blunt, and there is a Crecy in my (distant) future.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
Oh god, want so badly. I hate you with fiery hatey hate.
Look, tiny text!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »
Here I was, happy with my Gen2 Gladius.  :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »
Now you've done it.

I just spent over $100 in the moat. I'm tired of working on motorcycles so I'll finish some rusty projects and begin new ones with a grab bag of Albion moat sale components.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
RaspberrySurprise:

Glad to help keep you warm. I've only wanted a gladius since my teens, and with the rest of my life pretty much in the crapper of late, I decided I deserved a special birthday present. The Idus Martias sale was just icing.

SADShooter

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:24:11 PM »
Going to be gearing up the anvil pretty soon to make some. No CNC like Albion for me.  =D Anyone know some good historical references I can peruse for ideas? Given my love for khukris I sense a kopis in my future.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »
Trust me, you don't have a sword fetish till 'ya get a hankering for old Japanese =D iron....

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:28:45 AM »
There's a Christian Fletcher/Angus Trim custom longsword in my future.

Once I get more (like a year or so) classes under my belt that is.

I have a history of cutting myself with every new blade.  3 feet of steel could make that really painful. =D

http://www.hrgalaska.org/longsword.html
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
very fine piece of cutlery.  i've always regretted that my father sold his wwII japanese sword (samurii?) to help put us kids through college.  personally i've always had the yen for a cutlass or sabre style piece of steel. must be the sailor in me.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
I also prefer the looks of the earlier wasp-waisted variant, but that is still a beautiful piece of steel.

Going to be gearing up the anvil pretty soon to make some. No CNC like Albion for me.  =D Anyone know some good historical references I can peruse for ideas? Given my love for khukris I sense a kopis in my future.

I would buy a well made, useable bearded axe along these lines. If you're up for selling your work that is.  ;)

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »
Ah yes, Albion Armorers. I've been drooling over their Hospitaller for a couple years now.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:13:58 PM »
I was just drooling over the "Lady Vivamus"

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/late/sword-lady-vivamus.htm

However, I think that purchasing one would be cause my wife to put her foot down for the very first time. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

Do WANT
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:20 AM »
Very nice. I also thought about trying to dig up an Angus Trim Tactical Short Sword, but the call of the classic was too strong.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »
I also prefer the looks of the earlier wasp-waisted variant, but that is still a beautiful piece of steel.

I would buy a well made, useable bearded axe along these lines. If you're up for selling your work that is.  ;)

1. I love axes.
2. A while back I picked up a discarded jackhammer bit specifically because I saw several axe heads in it. I'm a sucker for high quality steel on the cheap. Stopped on the side of the road to pick up a truck axle once too.

I'm sure I'll have some pics here once I start beating stuff, just a few small blades thus far.
AKA Navy Joe   

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
Jackhammer bits are usually S-7 steel. Only about 55 points of carbon. They'll make a decent enough axe head- very tough & not prone to chipping but not very hard. S-7 is a difficult steel to work under a hammer. It needs to be HOT. DO NOT hammer at less than a bright red as it will set up cracks in the finished blade. Truck axles are also very tough but again, as a 4130 or 4140, not much carbon.
 Personnaly, for a tough working knife where ultimate sharpness is secondary, I like car & truck coil strings, 5160. Enough alloy to make a tough blade & enough (barely) carbon the harden well. S-7 & 41** steels make great anvil tools, punches & hammers.

Just some random thoughts from another steel scrouging itinerant steel pounder.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »
I was just drooling over the "Lady Vivamus"

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/late/sword-lady-vivamus.htm

However, I think that purchasing one would be cause my wife to put her foot down for the very first time. 
Great, now I'm considering robbing a bank or something to buy a copy of that...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
Selling bodily fluids, organs, maybe?  ;)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
Selling bodily fluids, organs, maybe?  ;)
I have none to spare I'm afraid. Now, I could always sell those belonging to someone else fistful :laugh: :angel: =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Jackhammer bits are usually S-7 steel. Only about 55 points of carbon. They'll make a decent enough axe head- very tough & not prone to chipping but not very hard. S-7 is a difficult steel to work under a hammer. It needs to be HOT. DO NOT hammer at less than a bright red as it will set up cracks in the finished blade. Truck axles are also very tough but again, as a 4130 or 4140, not much carbon.
 Personnaly, for a tough working knife where ultimate sharpness is secondary, I like car & truck coil strings, 5160. Enough alloy to make a tough blade & enough (barely) carbon the harden well. S-7 & 41** steels make great anvil tools, punches & hammers.

Just some random thoughts from another steel scrouging itinerant steel pounder.

Glad to see you on here. I've made a few knives out of 4140, difficult to get really hard, but cut very well. Got a supply of spring too, used up torsion bars from race cars. Buying new steel is boring. :)
AKA Navy Joe