Author Topic: Grand Cherokee problem  (Read 1517 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Grand Cherokee problem
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »
I've got a '95 Grand Cherokee, 4WD, V8, automatic with 195k miles on it. I'd love to replace the beast, but I can't afford it right now. Bought used at 150k, transmission had been rebuilt. It was overhauled again last year.

So, it's fine on short local hops. However, I travel from Dallas to San Antonio regularly. After about 200-220 miles, I will feel a lurch and get no acceleration, feeling like the transmission doesn't want to (mainly up)shift. When I stop and let it cool down, it behaves normally for a while. Oil pressure/level, temperature, and transmission fluid are all OK. I had a local shop look at it last week. They could not duplicate the problem. I'm going to take it back in for a more thorough analysis.

Aside from "ditch it", anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Grand Cherokee problem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
I can't really say anything useful... But it seems like rebuild automatics always end up having problems after 20-30k.  Is this true?  If so, why?

[sorry about the thread drift!]

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
No drift at all. This may well be a transmission failure. I learned a lesson when I bought this heap. When I asked the previous owner if it was the original transmission, she said "yes". Didn't realize until later it had been rebuilt. I wouldn't have bought it had I known.

Got rid of my first car after I had the auto transmission rebuilt and it failed within 6 months.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »
After about 200-220 miles, I will feel a lurch and get no acceleration, feeling like the transmission doesn't want to (mainly up)shift. When I stop and let it cool down, it behaves normally for a while. Oil pressure/level, temperature, and transmission fluid are all OK.

Do you mean downshift? Upshift is going from 1st gear to 2nd gear to third gear. If this behavior is on the highway, and the symptom is lack of acceleration, it would seem that you're expecting it to DOWNshift to a passing gear and that's not happening. Another possibility is electrical. The '95 Grand Cherokee uses a Chrysler transmission. Don't remember what model, but I'm sure it has an electrically locking torque converter. Is it possible the torque converter is locking up and then won't unlock? Is there a fuse for the transmission controller? If so, see if the fuse is blown.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
Sounds like the high band is going out.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »
charby, your answer is the one I was afraid to hear. I don't want to pour more money into this bloody transmission. Is there a reason why this would only manifest after a certain amount of running time? Seems like it would act up as soon as it was engaged. That's what puzzles me.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
Jeep built and sold a lot of V8 Grands. What about a junkyard transmission?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »
I can't really say anything useful... But it seems like rebuild automatics always end up having problems after 20-30k.  Is this true?  If so, why?

[sorry about the thread drift!]

Because rebuilt transmissions aren't. Overhauled is closer to it.

Basically they tear the trans down, inspect for any broken or visibly damaged parts. Any such parts are replaced and the trans re-assembled with new seals and frictions. All done by eyeball and feel, sometimes in ridiculously dusty and filthy conditions. The result is usually better than what was, but far from "as new". The wonder is that they work as well as they do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
Jeep built and sold a lot of V8 Grands. What about a junkyard transmission?

or a remanufactured one?

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
The mechanic I'm working with talked with the transmission shop he uses, which suggested that pan debris may be clogging the filter. They're going to drain the fluid, drop the pan and inspect it, then replace fluid and filter. Might get me a few more miles, but it looks like I'm on a short clock toward replacement. I will not have it overhauled again. Time to start seriously researching used pickups.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
The mechanic I'm working with talked with the transmission shop he uses, which suggested that pan debris may be clogging the filter. They're going to drain the fluid, drop the pan and inspect it, then replace fluid and filter. Might get me a few more miles, but it looks like I'm on a short clock toward replacement. I will not have it overhauled again. Time to start seriously researching used pickups.

Used SUV's will be cheaper than pickups in similar years and mileage.

Well unless you want a 2wd pickup and those are pretty reasonable in price.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »
Used SUV's will be cheaper than pickups in similar years and mileage.

Ain't that the truth?  =(

A used SUV is just an old car, but a used pickup is always a workhorse until it won't run at all anymore.

Well unless you want a 2wd pickup and those are pretty reasonable in price.

True again.  And often the 4wds are more beat up - at least they used to be, before everybody started buying 4wds just to go to the grocery store in a light rain.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
Actually, my gold standard is a Tacoma PreRunner, but I don't think I'll be able to make the age/mileage/price sweet spot I'm looking for. Might have to settle for an SUV.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
If you pull to a stop when it does this will the car idle? I had a pontiac that wouldn't unlock the TCC solenoid, a little troubleshooting via diagonal cutters found the wire and solved the problem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »
Automatic transmissions are the work of the devil.

I had transmission slippage on my '92 Cherokee at about 120,000 miles. I drained the tranny, changed the filter and put it all back together and refilled it. 110,000 miles later still no problems.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams