Author Topic: Chest Freezer tech help, please  (Read 819 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Chest Freezer tech help, please
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »
I have a small (7ish cf) GE chest freezer, approximately 6 y/o, I've been using as a beer lagering tank. I had it connected to a Johnson Controls thermostat for temp adjustment. I run it pretty consistently. Last week (Saturday) I bought a couple of bags of ice, which were melting and puddled fluid by Sunday when I went to use them. there was light frost around the interior where the thermostat probe wire entered, but no other buildup. The compressor (compartment is clean) runs, but the unit isn't cooling below 58-59 degrees. Interior surfaces at front of unit are cool to touch.

Any suggestions? I've got it open and unplugged in case the condenser is frozen up, but that's all I know to do. No idea what a service call will cost me vs. replacing a $200-250 appliance.

Thanks,

SADShooter

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Chest Freezer tech help, please
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:47:41 PM »
Did you try it after the defrost? It does kind of sound like a frozen evap. Assuming it has a finned condenser and a fan, did you check the condenser to make sure it's not plugged? ou need to be able to see light though it. Not just look at the surface.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »
From what I can research, the condenser is embedded in the front wall, so I can't access or see it. I'm thinking/hoping you're right and that it's frozen. I'm going to let it sit overnight and see what happens.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »
The condenser and evaporator are both inside the cabinet on that unit.

When you plug it back in you should start with a light frost on the inside of the cabinet and some good heat felt on the outside.

You might check for any oil on the lines around the compressor that is all you can fix on the unit.

If you don't find one of the above I think a new one will cost you less then a service call to tell you you have a leak in the cabinet that can't be fixed.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
Thank you both. I'll let it sit a while and see what happens when I power it up again. I've more than depreciated the purchase price on it.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
I have a 7 foot chest freezer sitting here I'll sell you cheap if you pick it up. ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
Thanks. Give me a location and I'll have a supercomputer calculate my round trip fuel cost. =)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
I have a 7 foot chest freezer sitting here I'll sell you cheap if you pick it up. ;)

jim
Just slap a ups label on it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:41:10 AM »
Ohhh, one of those kind. I guess I shoulda known that.  :facepalm:

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!