Author Topic: Need Bubba Engineering Help, Please.  (Read 7386 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Need Bubba Engineering Help, Please.
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:37:08 PM »
I need to build a pell. This is a training tool for learning control with a sword. http://www.woodenswords.com/Pell/ubiquitous_pell.htm I have a couple of ideas, but mechanical aptitude is not my strong suit and I have some operational limitations.

I'm looking to create an approx. 6 foot post to strike with a wooden waster in order to master technique, edge alignment and power. The setup needs to be:

-portable/compact (I live in an apartment so nothing permanent)
-reasonably inexpensive
-low tech (see above)
-easy to repair/replace
-cushioned so my waster doesn't shatter on the first strike (I'm thinking carpet remnant/taped insulation)

I've got two ideas:

-2x4 target frame base built to receive 6' round 3" post (wood or PVC)
-sand weighted bucket to receive bracketed post

A 2-piece approach makes sense in terms of portability. Suspended tires are common, but I don't have a place in my training area to hang one and the required frame would be bulky. The steel H-frame at the link is a bulky option.

I know other members have similar interests, so I'm curious if you think I'm on the right track or have alternatives to offer.

Thanks,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Need Bubba Engineering Help, Please.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »
Something like a barrel full of water, or a base that could be filled with water would allow you sufficient mass to "Stay Put", yet could be drained to allow for mobility later.

Would a punching bag work? The tall/heavy cylindrical kind? (read further down in the article, they suggest just this) Could be screwed via eye-bolt right into a rafter, then easily spackled up when you move.
I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
A covered heavy bag would be great, but my ceilings aren't tall enough and I don't have much maneuver room in my 700sf apartment. If I move into something bigger, that will be an option.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Stickjockey

• friend
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
I kinda like the water idea for portability.

Maybe one of those five gallon water jugs with a piece of pvc 4,6 or 8" and then maybe wrap it in foam tape.

The only thing you would have to make is a collar to hook the pipe to the jug.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
I'll have to move the rig about 30-40 yards to use it, and access to water/hose is a problem. Something like that Wavemaster is an option when I have a yard of my own.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »
A car (or small truck) tire filled with concrete would make a better base than a bucket of sand or anything with water in it.  *Very* low center of gravity.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:05:08 PM »
A car (or small truck) tire filled with concrete would make a better base than a bucket of sand or anything with water in it.  *Very* low center of gravity.

Good thought.

For what he's doing he might be able to find a wheel with a center that would hold a piece of pipe and I don't think he would have to fill it with concrete if he uses the wheel and tire.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
pole half again, to twice as long as you want it high, drive a third to halfway into the ground.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
pole half again, to twice as long as you want it high, drive a third to halfway into the ground.

I think his downstairs neighbor might object...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »
lol, outside. :laugh: it's the cheapest way, and the easiest to undo. :angel:

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
The perfect answer, except that the management will frown on amateur landscaping. =( :police:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
something like this?

got a jack? =)

just don't poke a hole in the roof.

this is probably a bad idea, but do you have a quilt rack? >:D  or an maybe buy an old metal coat rack from a Dr,'s office?

and this there's this "thing" can't even remember where i saw it, didn't look like it was being used much though.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Hmm. That reflex bag with wrapped cushion on the pole is a thought.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
Do you have any neighborhood children that you don't like?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »

something like this?

got a jack? =)

just don't poke a hole in the roof.

don't truckers have a jack/bar that is used for stbilizing loads ........  here it is

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Galvanized-Steel-Stabilizer/dp/B003XWB9H0

or, how about an eyebolt in the floor and ceiling, then use a rope between them, with a turnbuckle to make it as taught as you like?   or hang something heavy on a rope, but strike the rope?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:10:33 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:51:43 AM »
Google "homemade telescope pier" and work from there.  Three "legs" will give you something to trip over too, so you get to work on your footwork.

For padding, tire tread under carpet pad under all-weather carpet should do the job quite well.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
What about a length of the cardboard tube used for concrete forms ("Sonotube")  ???

Glue carpet on the outside, and rig up a weighted base like a piece of plywood with a short piece of solid wood/concrete that slides up inside the tube.  That way you can move it in two pieces.

Actually, shouldn't this thing be able to rock a bit and then come back upright by itself...?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
and you could install a sub in it for your movie setup, and have a multitasking neighbor annoyer. >:D

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »
Tallpine:

Yes, a design with some flex in it would be nice. I've been mulling on a way to create a ball joint or some sort of rocking mechanism. A quintain would be really neat. Unfortunately, we're staring to strain my skill limits. I was also considering PVC. I don't know who sells sonotube retail. I'll check the megamarts.

SADShooter

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
You don't need a ball joint to get some flex. As had been mentioned, find a tire of sufficient size a 14 should do. lay it on a flat surface & mix up some "Sakrete" or equivalent. find a spring, from garage door to light car coil spring & stick one end in the wet concrete & let it set up. then mount whatever you want on to of the spring. It's lke those animals on a spring thaat you may have seen in little kids parks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
I was thinking something with a weighted round bottom, like those infant drinking cups that always come back upright.

Not sure what to make it out of though - maybe a wok ...?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
I was thinking something with a weighted round bottom, like those infant drinking cups that always come back upright.

Not sure what to make it out of though - maybe a wok ...?   =|

"weebles wobble but they don't fall down"

the trick is to get the c of g low enough that you don't need a base 6 ft wide.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.