Author Topic: Need PC help: 7B Stop Error after XP Reinstall  (Read 2566 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Need PC help: 7B Stop Error after XP Reinstall
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
My home PC is inoperative. I'm running an older (5+yr) Dell Dimension XPS 600. It began freezing consistently, and after various diagnostics and increasing errors, I reformatted and reinstalled XP SP2 from the restore CD. (I had been running SP3)

Restarting after the reinstall I'm getting the blue screen stop error (this happens in all start modes):

0x0000007B (0xF789E524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The dialog tells me to check for viruses and run chkdsk on the hard drive. I'm pretty confident there was no infection before the reformat, and checkdisk run from Recovery Console didn't detect any problems. Researching online I found the suggestion to check the BIOS settings for the drive controller, but it looks like it's set to ATA as recommended.

I'm in over my head technically. Any and all suggestions (excepting detcord-I don't have any) are appreciated. If all else fails, pointers to reputable tech services in Dallas would be welcome.

Thanks,

SADShooter

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Need PC help: 7B Stop Error after XP Reinstall
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »
Visually check the motherboard for blown capacitors.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
Before you dig too deep into hardware issues, reformat and throw a copy of Ubuntu on there. If that installs and runs fine, then it is more likely a software error with the XP install. Otherwise off the top of my head you're looking at either hard drive, motherboard, or maybe RAM malfunction, likely in that order.

Did you notice your fan running loudly, or other signs of overheating beforehand (or now)?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
The case has always generated fairly high heat output. It doesn't seem different now, no aberrant noises or other weirdness that I can tell
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
Also, do you have the latest BIOS on the machine? If not, try installing and see what happens. It's likely that it won't boot you up on the current install, but might after a wipe and reinstall.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »
How much RAM, and in what configuration?

If you can, try removing RAM temporarily.  If it's running 2 x 256MB modules, then run it with just 1.  If it still crashes, try the other module solo.

Otherwise, sounds like a dying mobo.

I hear that detcord requisitions have been denied, so I suggest taking off an nuking it from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
2 1G DIMMs, 4 slots total. 1x0x1x0 according to the system info I remember.

ETA: I haven't poked inside the case, since it's been years since I really futzed with hardware and my sausgae ingers tend to break stuff. Assuming it is the motherboard, is it worth replacing or should I just start shopping for a new machine?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:36:31 AM by SADShooter »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
If you haven't been inside the case in that long, the FIRST thing you need to do is open it up, blow it out, and reseat all  the connections.  Especially the RAM and any slotted-in cards.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »
2 1G DIMMs, 4 slots total. 1x0x1x0 according to the system info I remember.

ETA: I haven't poked inside the case, since it's been years since I really futzed with hardware and my sausgae ingers tend to break stuff. Assuming it is the motherboard, is it worth replacing or should I just start shopping for a new machine?

You probably won't be able to find a new mobo, and the electrolytic fluid in capacitors on motherboards has a documented history of leaking.  A "new" motherboard manufactured 5+ years ago (and compatible with your CPU/RAM/PCI/AGP cards) will be subject to the ravages of time.  That leaves used mobos.

Or, a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo, which will smoke the pants off anything you have currently... but will require drivers that are way too new for Windows XP to natively know about them.  You'll need to make certain that the mobo in such a package is WinXP compatible (NIC/sound/onboard video/chipset/etc). 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.679621

Quad-core AMD x4 athlon and MSI mobo for $139.  Confirm that particular mobo is XP compatible, first.  If it isn't, find another.  Add 2GB RAM to it for another $20.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134790

Mind your sausage-fingers when installing.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
Don't bother with buying a new mobo for your XPS.  You can find a functional XPS on Craigslist/Evilbay for half what a new mobo would be and it gives you other backup parts like power supply, vid card, RAM, etc..  Heck, you can buy a scratch&dent/reconditioned unit from the Dell Outlet Store for $400-$500 that will blow the case off your old machine, and come with a warranty to boot.  Concentrate on processor, video, and operating system.  Options like RAM and hard drives are easily and cheaply upgradeable from the aftermarket.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
I was initially hoping to eke some more life out of this machine. OTOH, it reminds me of my ex, so perhaps I should buy a replacement and use this one as a 12ga slug target.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
The RAM, drives, and power supply might be marketable.  Everything else?  Range fodder.

Brad
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=7716&SC=&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Does this seem like a decent deal? I haven't really shopped since buying the current PC.

ETA:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (2.8GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Studio XPS 7100 Desktop
250 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
6 GB DDR3 ECC SDRAM 1333MHz (4 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
1GB ATI Radeon HD 5670 GDDR5

$489
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:01:38 PM by SADShooter »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
404 file not found.

Is this in your price range?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0362506

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »
jim, that's very doable.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
404 file not found.

Is this in your price range?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0362506

jim

But you'll want to double or quadruple the RAM, especially if you keep the 64-bit Windows 7.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
I got the same 404 error on the link above.

Well, I tried embedding a link and am getting the same error.  Dang.  Their new search page sucks rocks, too.  The old page was more basic, but FAR more functional.

Brad
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
I found the series and processor jim147 posted as a scratch & dent for the same price with 6G RAM. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on it, but I'm hesitating as I can't find details on the graphics card or other hardware. Any strenuous objections/observations?

ETA: Ordered. Hopefully, I'll be able to post from home next week.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:35:44 PM by SADShooter »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »
That's the one I tried to link, the Studio.  It's a carbon copy of my machine.  The 64-bit OS combined with the quad core processor makes it a screamer.

Brad
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Thanks. I think this is actually dual core unless it's mislabeled, but anything is an improvement over bsod.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
Oh, different machine, then.  But, like you said, anything is an improvement over nothing.

Brad
-HankB

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 07:59:17 PM »
That bugcheck code means "Inaccessible Boot Device."

Did you do anything storage-wise?  Maybe have some removable storage plugged in during the install?  Even an iPod can cause that.

Or maybe a blown HDD or controller, but start simple.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
If all else fails, pointers to reputable tech services in Dallas would be welcome.

Having worked as a tech in Dallas, I'd have to say you're SOL.  Watch First Saturday and see if you can get something better for cheap.  http://www.sidewalksale.com/

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
Back after no internet and being sick. Booted and installed from CD after disconnecting external HD USB cable. No other devices or media. Might try to get it running for kicks & grins, but new(er) machine arrives today.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
Could just be the hard drive is toast.  Hard drives are cheap.  Stick a new one in there and try loading the O/S again.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.