Author Topic: Cleaning Burned/Melted plastic from Steel  (Read 840 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Cleaning Burned/Melted plastic from Steel
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
In a flight of ludicrous idiocy that can only be explained by some other party being responsible (brownies, gremlins?) a plastic cocktail stirrer lodged between a steel saucepan and a hot electric stove burner. Any reasonable labor-saving/non-marring suggestions for cleaning the resulting mess of residue on burner and pan base? FTR, no detcord availabe.

Thanks,

SADDufusShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Cleaning Burned/Melted plastic from Steel
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
How much do you love the odor of burned plastic?

The easiest way to remove the residue from the burner is to burn it off - usually accomplished by turning the burner up to HIGH and the exhaust fan to super-suck.  And then using every odor-masking agent known to mankind while dealing with females of the household whose ire will require the expenditure of much time and money in order to placate.  Or you could just replace the burner while nobody was looking. :angel:

As for the pan - either take it outdoors and burn off the residue or risk serious scuff marks attempting to buff it off with various abrasives, and then burning the remainder off which should give you some nice case hardened appearance.  Or you could just replace it while nobody was looking.  :angel: again

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
If fire is somehow not available, acetone could work.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »
Try liquid model cement. Not the Testors stuff that comes in a tube, but liquid- Tenax 7-R is one. Irrigate well, wait a couple minutes, then wipe well. Finish with a rag dampened with same. Note; this contains MEK, so make sure to wash thoroughly after.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »
If fire is somehow not available, acetone could work.

If fire is available, acetone could get interesting....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
If fire is available, acetone could get interesting....
Double your fun!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:31:28 AM »
Try liquid model cement. Not the Testors stuff that comes in a tube, but liquid- Tenax 7-R is one. Irrigate well, wait a couple minutes, then wipe well. Finish with a rag dampened with same. Note; this contains MEK, so make sure to wash thoroughly after.

That might actually work - it functions as a "cement" by melting the two plastic parts together, so it might soften the stuff enough to clean off the burner.  You might need to soak it in the Tenax, though.  Is the burner coil removable?  Mine were, back when I had an electric stove.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »
Follow up. I put the pan om the reassembled burner at medium low heat. After a bit the residue became pliable and I scraped/wiped it off the surfaces. Thanks for all the input.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch