Author Topic: Real Estate Development, People's Republic of China-style  (Read 1146 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Real Estate Development, People's Republic of China-style
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
http://www.unz.com/isteve/real-estate-development-chinese-style/

8 killed, 18 injured in China land dispute

During World War II, Gao Shangpei fought Japanese soldiers invading his hometown. This week, the 85-year-old said he found himself taking up arms again as men wielding steel pipes and knives invaded his village over a land dispute, sparking clashes that left eight people dead and 18 others injured.

The incident in southwest Yunnan province appears to be one of the bloodiest confrontations in recent years between property developers and local villagers...

when staff from a local project developer clashed with villagers. But locals said “thugs” hired by the developer stormed the village and tried to beat up residents who had vowed to protect their land till death.

“Around 2:30 p.m. [Tuesday], a group of over 1,000 thugs hired by the developer came to our village carrying steel pipes and long knives,” Gao said in a phone interview. “When we tried to stop them, they started to beat local villagers, including women and old people, indiscriminately.”

According to Gao, more than 2,000 of his fellow residents joined in the fray. After two villagers were killed, locals got so angry that they captured and killed some of the attackers, he said.

Four of the developers’ staff were burned alive by villagers.

As far as I can tell, the central government owns all the land in the People’s Republic of China, but the current tenants and the local governments assume they have various customary rights to it. So, every so often a property dispute arises. And then it’s: You get your lads together and we’ll get our lads together and then we’ll find out who holds proper title, Seven Samurai / Three Amigos-style.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/16/china-construction-workers-burn-to-death-land-dispute

Over here the developers would pay off the policritters and get the land eminent domained.  Mayhap we can learn something from China's villagers.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Real Estate Development, People's Republic of China-style
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
Hmm. Interesting. Self-interest and property rights survive millennia of authoritarian central government of various flavors.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
Burning them alive seems extreme, but likely effective.

I am assuming none of the villiagers had guns.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
I was thinking that this is also a good reason to know some of your neighbors and in the event things go South, work with them to set up a watch of some kind.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
Burning them alive seems extreme, but likely effective.

I am assuming none of the villiagers had guns.

How do you say "pour encourager les autres" in Chinese?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »
I can understand burning people alive if that's what's necessary to protect your home and your land.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:28:09 PM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
How do you say "pour encourager les autres" in Chinese?

Woosh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Real Estate Development, People's Republic of China-style
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:44 AM »
I can understand burning people alive if that's what's necessary to protect your home and your land.

Pretty clearly the developers hired these thugs to terrorize and cow the villagers.  That's the only way a few hundred will prevail over a few thousand.

The villagers either recognized this or acted on instinct, but turned the tables on the developers. Now their potential errr... employees know that an excruciating death is a significantly possible outcome. This raises the cost of employees and makes pursuing this village much less profitable.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »
Dude, you're a Viking. You can understand burning people alive because Tuesday.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
Tuesday or Thursday?

According to Wiki, you are probably right.  Also odd that Tuesday the 13th is an unlucky day to Greeks and Spanish.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:59:01 AM by MechAg94 »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
Thor's day too. And Odin's day.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.