Author Topic: Windows 7 beta out tomorrow (01/09/2009)  (Read 8665 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Windows 7 beta out tomorrow (01/09/2009)
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
As could be expected...

Microsoft screwed the pooch on this beta release.

Definitely not confidence-inspiring.  =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
As could be expected...

Microsoft screwed the pooch on this beta release.

Definitely not confidence-inspiring.  =|

Maybe.

But what if they wanted to ensure that the downloader has already paid the stiffest M$ tax?  Requiring an install over Vista would help to ensure that.

Also, what if M$ wanted to expend as little time/money to get the beta out as possible?  Letting the first hungry few download from M$ and then dump it into a torrent would allow wide distribution using other people's bandwidth and disk space.

I guess the above relies on the assumption that M$ is evil & conniving rather than stupid.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
I'm actually running the Windows 7 beta on a laptop that's now 6 years old, and it's running very well.  Not quite well enough that I'm going to put it on my primary machine, but so far, I'm impressed.  The GUI is very similar to Vista, with a few minor changes, but the performance is drastically improved. 

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
It is probably faster because many features are not implemented yet.

BTW: Do they have WinFS eventually? and the new command line?
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »
and the new command line?

What's the new command line?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »
In the build I am using, the command line is the same, and my HD is still NTFS (didn't get an option to change it during install).  Here's a few screen shots:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Windows command line?

That is what cygwin is for.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
I'm actually running the Windows 7 beta on a laptop that's now 6 years old, and it's running very well.  Not quite well enough that I'm going to put it on my primary machine, but so far, I'm impressed.  The GUI is very similar to Vista, with a few minor changes, but the performance is drastically improved. 
My primary machine IS a laptop that's 6 years old.  What're the specs on yours? ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
IBM T30 with a 2 GHz P4 chip and 512 MB RAM.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
IBM T30 with a 2 GHz P4 chip and 512 MB RAM.

And it ran ok?  I thought you needed at least a gig of memory.

Chris

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »
The first install failed and gave me a note that I had to have 512 MB for the installation to continue, so I had to scrap some memory out of another machine.  Considering what it's working with, it does pretty well.  With no applications open, the OS is using about 280 MB of RAM.

I haven't tried to install any applications past the OS yet.  Also, the machine I'm using does have an internal bluetooth module, but the device manager isn't seeing it.  This machine previously ran XP, and there was an option to upgrade from XP to 7 without formatting.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:58:37 PM by Paragon »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
My first install attempt failed, too.  It stated that the files on the DVD were corrupt.

I blew some compressed air into the DVD drive to clean the laser lens, and tried again.

It's running on this IBM 3.0Ghz dual-processor Xeon MP machine (4 processors hyperthreaded) right now, after I downloaded and installed the Kaspersky v8.0 antivirus software.

So far, it's pretty smooth, but I don't see it being any faster than my XP Pro install on the other hard drive cartridge. I'm only running 2Gb of RDRAM, so maybe 3Gb would speed it up a smidgen.  We'll see, I haven't really run the OS through its paces yet, nor do I know what will or won't install software-wise.

I may be a bit harsh on my expectations, because I run a cleaned-up XP Pro, with a lot of features turned off, like Indexing, messaging, etc.  I also run Bootvis to make for quicker boot times.

This version of Windows reminds me a bit of my Mandriva Linux, in some respects.  Now I'll play with it for the 6 months they gave me on the beta user license...  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
I understand how you feel completely.  This machine also had a stripped down version of XP loaded.  I'm not really missing anything, as this machine's soul purpose before loading Windows 7 was to connect to a network share on my media server so I could listen to music in the garage.

Your key is only good for 6 months?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 05:05:03 PM »
What's the new command line?

PowerShell.  Yea, it's in Win7.  It's going to be in all future MS products for quite a bit of time.  The newest version of Exchange is heavily dependent on it for common tasks.  Haven't had time to mess with it on Server 2k8 and the newest group policy extensions, but I hear it's possible to automate a lot of routine sysadmin work with relative ease.   In fairness, PS isn't that bad.  Some insanity will be required because it ties into .net...

I dunno.  With a handy copy of nLite and stripping out surplus languages/drivers/etc...  XP SP2 is an excellent OS.  Any specialized tools I require on other OS's, I just make a virtual OS instance on VMware workstation or our test ESX server.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.