Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 52645 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 05:51:37 AM »
Yeah, it'll notify you....how, exactly?  :facepalm:
Virtual carrier pigeon
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 06:12:31 AM »
On another note, my employer's IT department just sent out a company-wide e-mail telling people NOT to download the Windows 10 upgrade for corporate computers. IT claims that our "enterprise" software (whatever that is) and virus protection won't work with Win 10.

I have two Win7 notebooks and a Win7 desktop. From what I'm getting out of this thread, I should download the upgrade three separate times, once on each machine, rather than downloading it once and making a master install disc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »
[quote author=Hawkmoon link=topic=48457.msg999758#msg999758 date=1438164751
I have two Win7 notebooks and a Win7 desktop. From what I'm getting out of this thread, I should download the upgrade three separate times, once on each machine, rather than downloading it once and making a master install disc.
[/quote]

No, just make a master disc or USB drive.  MS has a tool to grab the ISO and let you burn it or it'll shove it onto a USB drive for you.  Your pick.

I did get a neat error when I tried grabbing the ISO today with that tool.  "Something happened"  the details below it read "Something happened"... awesome.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2015, 10:42:38 PM »
I have two Windows 7 Professional computers.  One of them got the Win 10 upgrade notice -- the computer that I don't want to upgrade.  The one that I'm willing to experiment with didn't get it.   :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 11:24:20 PM »
I upgraded my work laptop and my wife's convertible laptop to 10 today.

Some stuff I like:

If you have a non-touchscreen machine it works more like 7 with a Start menu (plus unobtrusive mini-Metro interface). If you have a tablet it works more like 8 with the touch-friendly Metro interface. If you have a convertible laptop you can have it work one way in laptop mode, and the other in tablet mode. You can also configure it to always do one way or the other. In other words the way 8 should have worked from the get-go.

Multiple desktops. This is huge for me for work. Also a decade+ behind the ability to do this in Linux; not sure why it took them this long to implement it in Windows.

Microsoft Edge actually seems like a really good browser so far, though I'll reserve final judgment until extension support is added this fall. I do think it was a branding mistake to make the "e" icon/logo for Edge nearly (if not completely) identical to the one for Internet Explorer. People don't associate that icon with good things . . .

In-place upgrade process went flawlessly. All my hardware and programs seem happy.

About the only thing I've run across so far I don't like isn't any different than one of my annoyances with 8.x, namely the pressure to link everything to your Microsoft account. Cortana (the Siri equivalent) will not function if you don't link the account, and some other apps as well.

It's only been a day, I'm sure there will be more things I don't like, but so far so good.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 11:41:41 PM »
I have two Windows 7 Professional computers.  One of them got the Win 10 upgrade notice -- the computer that I don't want to upgrade.  The one that I'm willing to experiment with didn't get it.   :facepalm:

If the computer is a member of a domain or is a volume license version of windows you will never get notified.  I've been studying, I present a webinar tomorrow to our company on how to deal with licensing...  yay.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »
I have two Windows 7 Professional computers.  One of them got the Win 10 upgrade notice -- the computer that I don't want to upgrade.  The one that I'm willing to experiment with didn't get it.   :facepalm:

I don't think you need the notification to get the free upgrade.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2015, 12:17:29 AM »

About the only thing I've run across so far I don't like isn't any different than one of my annoyances with 8.x, namely the pressure to link everything to your Microsoft account. Cortana (the Siri equivalent) will not function if you don't link the account, and some other apps as well.

I did not like this in 8 either, and just did a local account on my 8 laptop. I'm curious to hear of anything else that won't function without a Microsoft account. Cortana I can live without if it's nothing more than Siri or "Okay Google".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 06:21:40 AM »
I signed up for the upgrade on my tablet last night.

Not sure how long it will be before it drops.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
I did not like this in 8 either, and just did a local account on my 8 laptop. I'm curious to hear of anything else that won't function without a Microsoft account. Cortana I can live without if it's nothing more than Siri or "Okay Google".

New version of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, etc.) is web-subscription-based, and IIRC requires an account.  You can use it without Internet access once you've loaded and activated it, but I think it won't let you activate it without the account, and you've obviously got to have internet to do the activation.

I have it on my work laptop, and have used it in the field without internet access.  Did the Office install at home previously.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
Taking the plunge this morning. Win7 64-bit home desktop upgrade processing as I type this. I'll get a handle on the UI before upgrading Mom's laptop.

Braf
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:55 AM »
Well poop.  My little 8.1 tablet gets to go back to Asus.  Again.  I mostly use it as an e-reader so it is usually in airplane mode to stretch the battery life.  I haven't been updating it.  Figured Windows 10 would be great on it, I let it windows update last night to install the patch that installs the upgrade notification.  This morning it was bricked, totally dead, no lights.  Nothing at all happens with it plugged in or pressing the power button.  I doubt the updates had anything to do with this. 

Being it is not really a user serviceable case and it has 4 months of warranty left it is going in for repair.  This is the second time it has happened in the 8 months I've owned it.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
One of my 4 units were upgraded this morning, my Win 7 Pro 64 machine. No real issues to speak of.
As far as Edge goes, seems Ok BUT it lacks the configurability I like! For one thing, WTH is the bookmarks manager?!?! (just figured out sorta how to do what I need but IT SUCKS!)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »
Typing on the upgraded machine now. Edge is fast and simple but the Bookmark thing is a deal breaker. I have a huge library of bookmarks and use them extensively.

Took a couple of boots for 10 and my NVidia card to play nice but seems fine now. Boot to full operability seems to take a smidge longer than Win7 but once loaded it's noticeably more responsive. I like the UI. It's what 8 should have been from the get-go.

I turned off all the craptastic "Report to Microsoft" options during setup. We'll see how much it screams.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
My Chrome browser still works just fine and you do have the IE 11 you can use but THAT was what drove me to Chrome!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »
Set up on IE 11.

In general Windows operation I've found the right-click option, which I use a lot for shortcutting, is significantly scaled back. Or at least initial perception is that is has. Other than that I'm liking what I'm seeing and experiencing. Liking it a lot.

Edit to add... It's having issues with my ancient HP P1006 LaserJet printer. Envelope formatting was all kinds of screwy and it won't update the driver from Win 10. Finally got it to load by going to HP Support and loading it from HP via their add-on utility.  Strange considering Win10 initially recognized the printer, installed it, and claimed everything was hunky dory.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:11:57 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 12:09:48 AM »
Yes.  I had the 'Something Happened' error.  Twice.

All I was doing was using the media creation tool to get the ISO file.  It turns out you can't download to one of their "library" locations that's a collection of multiple physical folders.  In my case I was downloading to "Documents" which is the DEFAULT F*CKING LOCATION and that just wouldn't fly.  Of course it spins and sucks down 6GB of data before it figures out that Something Happened.

lupinus

• friends
Windows 10
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 12:23:09 AM »
I'll probably jump off the cliff this weekend.

Now please excuse the stupid question I'm about to ask, but I've only ever done fresh and reinstalls. Assuming all goes well what does it do to all of my programs and save files? Will I need to back them up first (will do either way of course) and then use the backup? Will it all be there ready to go as before? Will I need to redownload everything? Will I need to sacrifice something before an idol of Bill Gates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:50 AM »
I'll probably jump off the cliff this weekend.

Now please excuse the stupid question I'm about to ask, but I've only ever done fresh and reinstalls. Assuming all goes well what does it do to all of my programs and save files? Will I need to back them up first (will do either way of course) and then use the backup? Will it all be there ready to go as before? Will I need to redownload everything? Will I need to sacrifice something before an idol of Bill Gates?

It would be a great idea to backup the PC first in case "something happens".  However, the upgrade is just that, it upgrades it.  All programs and data are still there and installed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2015, 12:40:18 AM »

Short article about Win10 privacy settings, including the link in the article about wifi sense. I'm curious as to how wifi sense handles (or doesn't) hidden networks, which is what I always use.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

Edit: fixed the dupe of me quoting myself because I hit quote instead of modify because I'm a bonehead.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:52:58 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• friends
Windows 10
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2015, 02:19:01 AM »
It would be a great idea to backup the PC first in case "something happens".  However, the upgrade is just that, it upgrades it.  All programs and data are still there and installed.

Very good.

Backup will most certainly happen, of course. Just figuring if it's a cup of coffee or a bottle of Tukey sorta project.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2015, 08:00:04 AM »
Short article about Win10 privacy settings, including the link in the article about wifi sense.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

Yeah, this. I did the Custom Settings option (Or whatever it was called. I forget) during the install. Disabled all the distributeyourprivatestuffware settings.

Brad
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »

Very good.

Backup will most certainly happen, of course. Just figuring if it's a cup of coffee or a bottle of Tukey sorta project.

It is a cup of coffee and a nice breakfast kind of project, unless it goes badly.