Author Topic: Wind!  (Read 2510 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Wind!
« on: December 15, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »
We're getting some pretty significant wind here in the Midwest.  Gusts in the Kansas City area are forecaster to hit 55mph today.  Further out in Kansas, Colorado, and up in Iowa I'm hearing 70+ mph winds are forecasted.  Wildfire risk in Colorado is severe.

Yea yea, I know this is normalish for you folks down in hurricane-land, but it's significant for here.   Our trees and structures aren't often subjected to this kind of loading.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Wind!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
Yep, I'm wondering if I'll be getting a new roof. I'm in the 70-80 mph wind warning area. I've already moved any loose items in the yard into the 3 season porch.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
xyzbob is in the severe area too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
Yep, they are predicting gusts in excess of 65mph here.  (from the west, I think)  Not quite hurricane strength, I think that's called "severe storm".  It's more than a gale
"It's good, though..."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
We're battening down as well. And planning for loss of power.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 12:18:33 PM »
Yep, they are predicting gusts in excess of 65mph here.  (from the west, I think)  Not quite hurricane strength, I think that's called "severe storm".  It's more than a gale

Check again, 70-80mph for Rochester area, coming from southwesterly direction.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 12:46:15 PM »
Check again, 70-80mph for Rochester area, coming from southwesterly direction.

Oh, *expletive deleted*it, they've upgraded it.  My roof should be okay, but I better bring everything in that's still outside.  (metal snow shovel would make an awful missile. etc)  I have lots of flashlights and lot and *lots* of batteries charged for them.  Kerosene for the emergency heater...   Hope I can sleep without a CPAP for a night or two.  I also should bring the kerosene in the house in case the garage blows down
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »
West, 80mph gusts predicted for here near Golden CO.  There's a dying/dead pine tree to the west outside my apartment bedroom window I'm concerned about.  I thought they'd have taken it down before this.  If it comes down, there's no doubt it'll crunch my bedroom.    But then again, I've always been a worrywart about shitty weather.

I'm deciding whether I want to go run errands today or stay around the house just in case.

Current for when you click on it. Peak just around noon local (MST) time:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7836&lon=-105.1675&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Terry

ETA I wish to hell people would at least give an approximate idea of where "here" is.  I know, click on their handles and sometimes they'll say, and sometimes they're known by past associations and they're in your coterie and sometimes you can get a general idea from their local time, but boy, I sure wish to hell people would at least give an approximate idea of where "here" is.

Run-on sentence, but...

Yeah, it's windier than crap "here."

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 01:09:09 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 12:59:18 PM »
Yep, I'm wondering if I'll be getting a new roof. I'm in the 70-80 mph wind warning area. I've already moved any loose items in the yard into the 3 season porch.

Better move the 3 season porch into the house.

We had a significant wind even like that here in DC metro maybe 3 years ago?

JamisJockey said there were wind gusts of 90+ MPH registered at the airport, and we had most of the day of sustained winds over 30 mph and many gusts over 60 mph, IIRC.

I lost a bunch of shingles on my roof, but a house on the other end of the community, which was facing right into the wind, lost maybe 40% of their shingles on the side facing the wind and about 15% on the reverse side.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm in Rochester, MN.  (Charby knows that even tho' we've never met IRL)  I thought my profile said "S.E. Minnesota" and that was carried forward to all my posts, but that must be on other forums.  "Sorry about that, Chief". 

(it's not obvious from this message but I agree with Terry.  Now it's obvious)
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »
We had our wind event here* yesterday.

We had a few gusts up into the 40mph range but really wasn't as bad as was predicted.

I had some friends visiting from there* and on the drive home they said they were beat to death by the wind. Later when watching the news they* said 60mph gusts down around Bullhead City. When the friends got home* they had 35-40 mph winds. What we got here* was temps below freezing and a dusting of snow. The main road from Las Vegas to here* was shut down several times due to snow near the summit*

Today is calm and just cold with snow on all of the mountains around the valley*

bob

* here = Wonderful Pahrump, Nevada

* there = Near Quartzsite, Arizona

* they = local Las Vegas weather guesser

* home = Salome, Arizona

* summit = Mountain Springs Summit @ 5502 ft

*valley = Pahrump Valley

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 01:32:32 PM »
ETA I wish to hell people would at least give an approximate idea of where "here" is.  I know, click on their handles and sometimes they'll say, and sometimes they're known by past associations and they're in your coterie and sometimes you can get a general idea from their local time, but boy, I sure wish to hell people would at least give an approximate idea of where "here" is.

Which I did, in no small part because I'm aware not doing so annoys you.  ;)

ETA: And I don't disagree.  If we're talking about something location specific, you lose a lot of meaning by not including the location.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 01:35:15 PM »
All those in favor of continuing to piss of Terry?

AYE!

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »
All those in favor of continuing to piss of Terry?

AYE!

:rofl:

I'm good with that from over thisaway here.  =)

Nick- Do you know what the building codes for wind loads are in your area? We can get some pretty good winds here. I think the highest I've recorded on my WX station was around 60mph, with 50mph gusts very common certain times of the year. Codes here call for roofs to take something like a 110mph wind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 01:41:07 PM »
AYE!
Motion passes.  We will meet up at that one place and then proceed to the other location whereupon we will commence Operation Terryrism.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »
Nick- Do you know what the building codes for wind loads are in your area? We can get some pretty good winds here. I think the highest I've recorded on my WX station was around 60mph, with 50mph gusts very common certain times of the year. Codes here call for roofs to take something like a 110mph wind.

I do not know that, but it's a good question.

I did once attend a storm spotter session put on by meteorologists down in Pleasant Hill, MO.  In part of the presentation, he noted that in severe storms, garage doors will often cave in at around 70-80 mph, after which a tremendous pressure against the underside of the roof will often cause failure.

Motion passes.  We will meet up at that one place and then proceed to the other location whereupon we will commence Operation Terryrism.

Can we burn some floppy disks at the meeting, and blame it all on the member formerly known as fistful?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
If I got 40mph wind for any amount of time, let alone the 50-90mph y’all are discussing I’d have very few standing trees left.

This reminds me, I need to replace the gas line on my generator.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »
I do not know that, but it's a good question.

I did once attend a storm spotter session put on by meteorologists down in Pleasant Hill, MO.  In part of the presentation, he noted that in severe storms, garage doors will often cave in at around 70-80 mph, after which a tremendous pressure against the underside of the roof will often cause failure.

Can we burn some floppy disks at the meeting, and blame it all on the member formerly known as fistful?

When they were developing Table Mesa subdivision, they just kind of oriented homes randomly according to whim and sometimes solar energy acquisition.

What they forgot was that Table Mesa was right under a wind funnel from the mountains and subject to occasional 100mph+ winds when the jet stream was just right.

First time that happened, all the homes with the garage doors facing west blew open and essentially destroyed the houses.

Fortunately, the first time this happened, the subdivision was just starting up.  After that, they always arranged things so the garage doors faced east, and if you're looking for that kind of thing, it's pretty obvious that there are darned few garages on the west sides of the homes.

I don't know this part of it by first-hand knowledge but I understand they even had to change a few of the platted streets to accomplish the change in the buildings' orientations.

Oh.  Table Mesa is on the south side of Boulder CO, where I lived for over twenty almost thirty years.  On the CB radio Circuit Boulder was known as "the windy city," just as Longmont was known as "Longtown."

That was the "here" then.  The "here" now is near Golden Colorado.  Where Coors is brewed, which ought to pin the locale down pretty good.

And thanks for the few brave comments of heroic support on my "where the hell is 'here'?" rant.  We need more real men like you. =D

Terrible Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:16:38 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »
I'll let you guys know if I find any of your photos, checks, documents here.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »
We can support it and still ridicule you at the same time, you know.  :rofl:  We're multitalented like that.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »
60 mpg gusts covering the Texas panhandle with several experiencing gusts well north of that. One station saw 90 mph earlier today.

http://rain.ttu.edu/tech/1-output/current.php

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »
Oh, *expletive deleted*it, they've upgraded it.  My roof should be okay, but I better bring everything in that's still outside.  (metal snow shovel would make an awful missile. etc)  I have lots of flashlights and lot and *lots* of batteries charged for them.  Kerosene for the emergency heater...   Hope I can sleep without a CPAP for a night or two.  I also should bring the kerosene in the house in case the garage blows down

Tornado watch now too. (hopefully doesn't turn into a warning)

I grabbed 5 gallons of gasoline for the generator over lunch. I have at least 31# of propane on hand for the buddy heater if I really need it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »
Better move the 3 season porch into the house.

Naw, bringing it into the enclosed room means insurance will replace it if decides to blow to Minnesota.

3 season porch is southern Iowan for 3 season room.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »
here is a current wind map of Iowa if anyone want to see the wind develop

https://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/iowa/wind-speed/

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
There's also this one if you want to see what's going on everywhere:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/700hPa/winkel3=-106.45,39.59,696
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."