Author Topic: Thomas Kinkade dead at age 54  (Read 15176 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Thomas Kinkade dead at age 54
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »
Michael Kinkade is not art.

This is art:

I know it's art because an original oil is about $24,000.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
Do you like it?  It's art to you.  You don't like it?  It's not art to you.  Enjoy something for what it is. 

In reference to an earlier part of this thread, I devoured the Doc Savage books as a kid and loved them.  It doesn't really matter that Kenneth Robeson was just a pen name for a bunch of people.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
None of that is art.

This is Art:

:P :P :P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
Pff, this is art.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard of this guy before, but after looking up some of his pictures, I like them. Don't see how it wouldn't be classified as art. ???
Because nowadays, "art" means a crucifix in a bucket of crap. If you actually have skills, talent and thinks paintings should look like something and perhaps even be beautiful, well, you're just pandering to the unwashed masses or something.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
Loves me some dogs playing poker:

http://www.dogsplayingpoker.org/gallery/coolidge/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
Or beisbol

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/817588.jpg

Actually, Coolidge had a strong sense of composition.  Almost too strong.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
No.....this is Art.....

.....the rest is just paint on canvas....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
^THAT^ is art.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 11:09:20 PM »

And there's more where that came from.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:41 AM »
No.....this is Art.....

.....the rest is just paint on canvas....  ;/
Seeker gets it!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
I'm thinking a whole series of Kinkade's with cars up on blocks, rebel troopers sniping atats, and mayhem would be lulzy.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »
I'm thinking a whole series of Kinkade's with cars up on blocks, rebel troopers sniping atats, and mayhem would be lulzy.
Colonial Marines fighting Xenomorphs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Nope.

This is art. Highly allegorical, and unfortunately deteoriating (sp?) badly.

If anyone knows what this painting is, and who painted it, I'll be suitably surprised, and will give you a cookie.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pinkham_Ryder

The Race Track (Death on a Pale Horse) (1895 - 1910)

Ryder was known for being slovenly. Toss up that his poor painting techniques were intentional, or that he was too scatterbrained to use durable painting techniques. He basically threw paint and varnish on in layers.  

That painting is about a dude who bet everything on a horse race, lost and offed himself.  Basically "highly allegorical" for "gambling is a tax for folks that can't do math."

Art is about talent. ANYTHING can be made deep through "interpretation". Poorly made art is about a lack of talent or skill. Yes, I do consider modern scribbling to be art. Just very poor, often pathetic art made by "artists" who care more about the scene than they do the end product. Good art is well made. No more, no less. You can toss in something deep and moving, or just make a portrait of some hawt nekkid chick. Deep meaning is a secondary concern. I like it, personally, but it's not necessary to qualify.     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:11:00 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
I happen to love outsider art

The New Orleans House of Blues has a fine collection

Kinkade was insider of the shopping mall art.
Little pink houses, for you and me.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
I'll give you props on identifying the artist, but you are sadly offbase on the rest.

Art is not simply good technique and choice of proper materials. 

If that were the case, Adolph Hitler and his drawings would be held the same regard as Picasso, Durer, or a host of others.

"That painting is about a dude who bet everything on a horse race, lost and offed himself.  Basically "highly allegorical" for "gambling is a tax for folks that can't do math.""

Wow. Clinically correct, conceptually not quite sure what to say to that, other than :facepalm:

Here, you'll probably be more comfortable with this...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
I liked looking at his prints in the mall store and watching the subtle changes as you dimmed or raised the light.

His works often seemed slightly surreal, like they were from an idyllic place out of a fantasy novel or the memory of a place that was fonder and more exaggerated than the reality.

I tend to mentally edit in ninjas, or Nazis, or both. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
Picasso,
Funny enough,  when I was in the Picasso museum  in Barcelona,  I didn't care for the majority of his work.

There were a bunch that really, really  struck me.  Among them, a series of paintings of four sisters.  Can't remember the names.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
Nope.

This is art. Highly allegorical, and unfortunately deteoriating (sp?) badly.

If anyone knows what this painting is, and who painted it, I'll be suitably surprised, and will give you a cookie.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
There are many artists whose work I generally don't care for, but who have a small number of works that just reach out and grab me.

About the only artists whose work I tend to like as a whole are de Chirco, Degas, Vlaminck, O'Keeffe, Ryder, Rothko, and oddly enough, Francis Bacon (which worries me to no end).

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
everyone loves bacon

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
I'll give you props on identifying the artist, but you are sadly offbase on the rest.

Art is not simply good technique and choice of proper materials. 

If that were the case, Adolph Hitler and his drawings would be held the same regard as Picasso, Durer, or a host of others.

Actually, Hitler was famously not a great painter. A poor example of Reductio ad Hitlerum.

If his paintings were as good as Picasso, Durer, etc, then yes, his paintings would be as good as the paintings by Picasso, Durer. And we would have likely known him for being a painter, not the genocidal madman of the Third Reich.

I specifically said art was about talent and skill.  Not just good technique and proper materials.

"That painting is about a dude who bet everything on a horse race, lost and offed himself.  Basically "highly allegorical" for "gambling is a tax for folks that can't do math.""

Wow. Clinically correct, conceptually not quite sure what to say to that, other than :facepalm:

Here, you'll probably be more comfortable with this...

Because I'm sick of poor art being held up as awesome because it has "deep meaning".  Lancaster has a First Friday, which is when all the galleries stay open late and whatnot. The majority of the work is absolute crap. But "has deep meaning", "it's all about interpretation, man", "all judgment is relative", blah blah blah. The piece should speak for itself. When it comes to the quality of a painting, it should not matter whether there is a famous name attached to a painting, or a 7 year old's. The quality of a painting shouldn't require a ten page artist's interpretation for it to be judged as excellent.

And yes, I DO subtract points when the artist has a poor understanding of the materials in which he is working.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.