Author Topic: Thomas Kinkade dead at age 54  (Read 15174 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Thomas Kinkade dead at age 54
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
Ah, but by your apparent definition, he was. He used the proper materials, and he applied them in a competent and forthwith manner, and he actually had talent by virtue of the fact that most people can't/couldn't create images as competently as he could.

"I'm sick of poor art being held up as awesome because it has "deep meaning"."

Inability to comprehend or conceive the meaning says more about the viewer than it does about the viewed...  ;)
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure that any original Hitler artwork that hits the auction block would fetch a pretty penny.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »
There was a good episode of Justified about Hitler's art. Thomas Cole's The Voyage of Life has always impressed me.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »

In 2010, Andy Fields bought a $5 stash of paintings at a garage sale. When he later took one of the frames apart, he found the above sketch. Turns out, it's likely an Andy Warhol original that the Pop star drew when he was just nine or 10 years old. Fields told reporters that he bought the paintings "from a man who had abused drugs and whose aunt had cared for Warhol in his youth." The portrait is thought to be of singer Rudy Vallee. If it's a Warhol, it's estimated to be worth $2 million. Not a bad score.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/man-buys-warhol-sketch-for-5/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
I was under the impression that "art" was a work that inpired feeling from the one beholding it. The more it inspires from the masses, the more it hold up as art. Both technique and inspiration for the work is important, but the most important is how the work is veiwed by people.

I wouldn't give the kincaid stuff value as I doubt it inspires anymore then a mild fuzzy wuzzy feeling inside and the need for a nap. People like it because it DOESN'T make them think. Even the modern art you guys rail against is closer to art, as it can inspire pretty impressive leavels of hate.  ;)

Kincaid is a cheat. He doesn't even to try to make his veiwers think about anything, he just paints some sappy thing and people say its pretty and put it on a wall. He produced decor, and crappy decor at that.
Most modern art is "art for art sake" and just want to get shock value and to be "smarter" then the general masses. It is nither inspired or inspiring. It's just pretentious and annoying.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
And yes, I DO subtract points when the artist has a poor understanding of the materials in which he is working.

Well, you certainly can't say that Piero Manzoni didn't know *expletive deleted*it.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
I put Kinkaid on the same level as those awful "precious moments" figurines.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:29:27 PM by 41magsnub »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
I was under the impression that "art" was a work that inpired feeling from the one beholding it. The more it inspires from the masses, the more it hold up as art. Both technique and inspiration for the work is important, but the most important is how the work is veiwed by people.

I wouldn't give the kincaid stuff value as I doubt it inspires anymore then a mild fuzzy wuzzy feeling inside and the need for a nap. People like it because it DOESN'T make them think. Even the modern art you guys rail against is closer to art, as it can inspire pretty impressive leavels of hate.  ;)

Kincaid is a cheat. He doesn't even to try to make his veiwers think about anything, he just paints some sappy thing and people say its pretty and put it on a wall. He produced decor, and crappy decor at that.
Most modern art is "art for art sake" and just want to get shock value and to be "smarter" then the general masses. It is nither inspired or inspiring. It's just pretentious and annoying.

Art doesn't have to make you think. It can simply be beautiful to look at. Which I find this Kinkaids paintings to be.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »
Ah, but by your apparent definition, he was. He used the proper materials, and he applied them in a competent and forthwith manner, and he actually had talent by virtue of the fact that most people can't/couldn't create images as competently as he could.

"I'm sick of poor art being held up as awesome because it has "deep meaning"."

Inability to comprehend or conceive the meaning says more about the viewer than it does about the viewed...  ;)

I'm not exactly sure why you jumped to Godwin, or that I am automatically incompetent because I disagree with you on a matter of opinion.

But your last line is why I avoid the art scene.  Because if you disagree, you're stupid, bad or whatnot.  I noticed a very large lack of open mindedness within the art scene and avoid it because of comments like that.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »

I wouldn't give the kincaid stuff value as I doubt it inspires anymore then a mild fuzzy wuzzy feeling inside and the need for a nap. People like it because it DOESN'T make them think...

There's plenty of room in life for things that are merely enjoyable. Does chocolate make us think? Or watching dogs act silly? Or just merrily plinking with one's favorite gun? Not necessarily.

It's a good thing to find things that make you think. If a painting can do that for you, have at it. But there's no reason why all art should be about that. 

There may be a lot of reasons why Kinkade is not an artist (I don't pretend to know), but failing to make people think is certainly not one of them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 03:38:07 AM »
I'm not sure if I've ever posted this before,  but this is an awesome little virtual tour of one of my favorite museums.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/state-tretyakov-gallery/view/?service=0

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
How silly of me to think that anything OTHER than this could ever be construed to be art...

Yes, that IS an authentic Velvet Elvis, and should be viewed accordingly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »
I think we all can agree that art is in the eye of the beholder.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.