Author Topic: Saving some badly abused marble slab  (Read 1838 times)

mfree

• friend
Saving some badly abused marble slab
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:24:46 PM »
The bathroom in the house I'm looking to lease/buy has great big slabs of natural black marble up on the bathroom walls.... but it's not been taken care of, the surface is hazy, mildew has set in and there are even little chunks missing from part. I think it'd been sprayed with acidic "quick cleaners" for years and years....

What's the best way to clean the residues off, kill the mildew, and polish the surface? I don't mind a little backbreaking work Smiley

And if it works well, I'll turn my attention to the pink marble floor tiles. What an odd color mix....

XLMiguel

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 04:04:26 PM »
I'd hit the local Home Depot/Lowe'a and see what they have to offer as a cleaner/restorer.  You might start with something like TileX (sodium hypoclorite - super bleach) to strip the scum & mildew.  Unless it's really badly pitted/etched, this, followed with some SoftScrub may get you by.  Plan B is a random orbital buffer with automotive polishing compound (the white stuff).  Start with a little by hand in an out of the way spot to see if it's worth pursuing.  Granite & mable counter tops are 'in' these days, I'm sure you can find something appropriate with a litlle research.  Good luck.

CZSteve

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 04:46:15 AM »
You might want to ask this question @ the following forum.
I've been lurking there for awhile as we are going to redo a bath/shower, seems to be a VERY good tile forum.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=a93f1a0951fa02cfb97233d15490fd2f&
Take Care,
Steve