Author Topic: Amazon Coming Out With New Home Tech  (Read 1241 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon Coming Out With New Home Tech
« on: September 30, 2021, 07:59:30 AM »
I have until now been against a lot of "smart home" stuff that is "always on" with mics and cameras, regardless of the maker.

Amazon is coming out with some new devices, including an autonomous drone and a robot, that may have me rethinking my privacy reluctance. They look to have better privacy enhancements, and the big one to me is them not being static.

One of the things I have always wanted was a way to check if I left the stove on. I have on way too many occasions, in my ongoing dotage, turned around and come back home to doublecheck. While neither of the devices can turn the stove off, it sure would be nice to send them to check. I also like the mobility for home security. I have Blink cameras that I check when I'm gone for more than a day, but they of course only show the areas where they point. Being able to view a realtime rundown of the house would be neat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NSDFSB/ref=ods_gw_odn_ddb_va_d_092821?pf_rd_r=BTT61W1BD7W22R2H4MTX&pf_rd_p=d27034fe-8279-4f2d-bb7d-ebb64b0b38ae&pd_rd_r=d5f009a4-1f87-4f2a-9358-a480664f3680&pd_rd_w=FAtNA&pd_rd_wg=9EwNL&ref_=pd_gw_unk

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YH144XD/ref=ods_gw_odn_dshov_zs_m_092821?pf_rd_r=BTT61W1BD7W22R2H4MTX&pf_rd_p=d157d24d-1770-42cd-bd70-40b319e29457&pd_rd_r=d5f009a4-1f87-4f2a-9358-a480664f3680&pd_rd_w=x7yhH&pd_rd_wg=9EwNL&ref_=pd_gw_unk
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Amazon Coming Out With New Home Tech
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:44:49 AM »
I hope your Amazon account security is good.  I am picturing sitting at my computer and turning around to see the drone hovering behind me.   =D   

My hang up is making sure I closed the garage door.  I generally look back from down the street to verify every time I leave the house.  I have turned around to do a drive by too many times.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 08:48:36 AM »
Sounds so Skynety
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »
. . . My hang up is making sure I closed the garage door.  I generally look back from down the street to verify every time I leave the house.  I have turned around to do a drive by too many times.
I an relate to this.  :rofl:

Hmmm . . . if the autonomous drone and robot are strictly used inside one's house, the Federal prohibition (I should say alleged Federal prohibition as I don't know it's been codified into law) against armed drones probably wouldn't apply . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »
I an relate to this.  :rofl:

Hmmm . . . if the autonomous drone and robot are strictly used inside one's house, the Federal prohibition (I should say alleged Federal prohibition as I don't know it's been codified into law) against armed drones probably wouldn't apply . . .
Hope your security is good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »
Yeah.... no.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
Hope your security is good.
I'm not dumb enough to uses "password" as my password - I personalize it by using "mypassword."

:facepalm:     :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 09:20:06 AM »
Go really high security -- mypassword1234
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 11:24:59 AM »
There is no way I'm going to let Jeff Bezos into my house. Or Steve Cook, or whoever is running Microsoft today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »

nope... myp@sswod1234
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 12:29:29 PM »
I think that's enough workshopping of passwords.  Excellent job in coming up with a secure one.  I'm going to reset everyone's password to myp@sswod1234 per charby's suggestion.  Finally some security.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 01:26:47 PM »
Damn it, I was hoping for an ampersand.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 01:34:34 PM »
I'm not putting one of their spies in my house.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 02:56:33 PM »
Bah to all these modern contrivances! If using a crippled, malnourished orphan for these tasks was good enough for granddad, it's good enough for me!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »
I need to change the combination on my luggage. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »
I was thinking password4321my   

Maybe that is too hard to remember. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 06:34:01 PM »
I have one of them fire sticks deals because I bought it right after my original ruku crapped out but before my dumb tv crapped out and I had to get a smart tv (thus I no longer needed the stupid thing about a month after I bought it)

Seriously, Alexa is a dumbass. I didn't even want her around, but now that I have her on a very limited basis, I know I am not paying extra for gadgets that require talking to her.

There is no point in a robot that can't figure out what you are saying and one that can is just skynet waiting to happen.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2021, 10:20:25 PM »
If the Feds can mandate what medicine you take, require banks to report $600 transactions, and have industry browbeat employees into installing spyware on their personal phones, it's only a matter of time before these robots will also be mandated.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 06:43:37 AM »
Amazon is coming out with some new devices, including an autonomous drone and a robot, that may have me rethinking my privacy reluctance.

Better get a second opinion from Steve.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
Sounds like some of you guys didn't read the descriptions at the link. The drone camera, which I am interested in, has way better privacy protocols than the Blink security cameras I already own, as well as being better than most home security systems with Internet access.

For standard security cameras like my Blink cameras to work, they have to be placed with cameras pointing all over my house. Unless I go around covering the cameras when I'm home, then removing the covers when I leave home, they are much more susceptible to being activated by hacking than the drone camera. The drone camera is physically blocked while it's docked and only active during flight.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/amazon-introduces-alexa-powered-robot-that-can-slap-controversial-books-out-of-your-hands/

Unsatisfied with control of 83% of the global book market, Amazon today introduced a new robot for the home that could recognize and yeet any books containing misinformation, whether they were bought from the corner bookstore, borrowed from Dennis Prager, or dug up from your prepper cousin’s time capsule stash that you were sure was a crazy idea three years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »
Sounds like some of you guys didn't read the descriptions at the link. The drone camera, which I am interested in, has way better privacy protocols than the Blink security cameras I already own, as well as being better than most home security systems with Internet access.

For standard security cameras like my Blink cameras to work, they have to be placed with cameras pointing all over my house. Unless I go around covering the cameras when I'm home, then removing the covers when I leave home, they are much more susceptible to being activated by hacking than the drone camera. The drone camera is physically blocked while it's docked and only active during flight.

[tinfoil]
That's what they want you to believe.
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
Better get a second opinion from Steve.

If Amazon is smart, they will program the robots to dispense pet treats at random intervals, and there you have the dog vote.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

griz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »
When I saw the robots on the Jetsons and Lost In Space they seemed so helpful and incapable of a vast robot uprising. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.